• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does a book's cut, centering and wrap affect your buying decision?

38 posts in this topic

I am just curious how many of you are influenced in your decision when buying a book about how nicely a book presents in its cut-straightness and wrap? Are off-centered, or mis-wrapped books a deal breaker for you? Can it be slightly mis-wrapped as long as it's straight? Would you prefer a 9.2 with perfect presentation over a 9.4 that's off some? Do front-facing staples bother you? Certain books seem to be notorious for being mis-cut or mis-wrapped like this such as Fantastic Four #67. I rarely see one that looks good in this respect. Here are a few examples of one with a good cut and wrap and one not so much:

MbpRD2f.jpgBbu4OTI.jpg

Both centering and cut greatly affects my decision, unless it's REALLY cheap. Unlike PQ, which can be deal breaker for me (no CR or CR/OW).

I'm not crazy about this Conan 16 for example, but it was only $56 and the pages are W. I'll eventually upgrade it one day when the right book at the right price comes a long. Not in a big hurry right now.

con1.2583a.jpg

Pretty much a deal breaker for me. The few that I will consider have to have a very small, and straight over wrap.

Front facing staples don't really bother me, but all things equal I'll take 'em on the side.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me. The few that I will consider have to have a very small, and straight over wrap.

Front facing staples don't really bother me, but all things equal I'll take 'em on the side.

Pretty impressive sig. line you've got there. (thumbs u

Same here across the board.

I were collecting high grade Silver on up it would bother me, but with the stuff I buy - 4.0-6.0 Atom Age for the most part, it would have to be pretty bad for me to not buy it .

I were collecting high grade Silver on up it would bother me, but with the stuff I buy - 4.0-6.0 Atom Age for the most part, it would have to be pretty bad for me to not buy it .

+ 1 ...... I like Atlas books from the 50's and they OFTEN have miscuts...... the top edge is very commonly found angling slightly upward from left to right. In a perfect world I certainly love a perfect book.... but like AGGIEZ said earlier, a slight but straight miswrap with a little white showing is OK for me on a SA book ( I'll always :cloud9: SA books) .... and if staple placement is off I prefer slightly to the back so I don't risk staple tears when reading it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It all depends on how difficult the book is to find. I have much more leeway on a tough GA book than I do on a Hulk 181.

Perfect or near perfect registration is pretty much an absolute must for me or I will move on. Staples next...preferably not to view...

:luhv: ...... Tom ....... FF Collector of Distinction. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Miswraps are ugly defects for me.

Although I only really don't like back to front ones with a white line showing, especially if the line is uneven. I don't mind front to back miswraps too much though.

For me, it's one of the most important things.

I can live with a slight, but straight miswrap. I would never buy the FF 67 on the right in the first post. Too much. If it was a 9.4 and the other one was a 9.0, I'd take the 9.0.

Staples on the front would be an absolute deal breaker. I can live with staples slightly off the spine to the back, but it would have to be ever so minimal and it would have to be a HTF book. If it was common (ASM, FF, etc..), I'd pass and wait.

I turned down a conan #1 cgc 9.2 that DiceX was selling at a good price because the cover wrap was cut slightly diagonally like that conan 16 that brian48 posted. So, yes, it does influence my buying decision, but only on expensive books. For cheaper books, not so much.

Modern books I find fascinating how incredibly well printed they are, seldom do you find a book off-center or with over-hangs and such.