• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed book at LCS?

24 posts in this topic

Went to my LCS again today. Was looking at a couple Daredevil 182's. I think there was some major trimming on the book. Has anyone know any non-trimmed Daredevil 182 that just had a serious cropping issue or was miscut? This issues top edge was the banner that reads Marvel Comics Group, it even appeared that the Comics code stamp was cut into. Is this blatant trimming or was it a legitimate defect. Here is a regular cover for comparison

Screen_Shot_2014_04_06_at_10_18_30_PM.png

If the trimming's that blatant merely lining it up with another book from that period should tell the tale.

I lined it up with the another copy of the same exact issue., it was shorter. I was just surprised that I picked out the trimming (but it was pretty obvious) and that the shop was selling it as a NM copy, it was a consignment piece however.

All copies are not exactly the same..... the trimming would surprise me on a book from that period where HG copies are very common. Probably a miscut. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Went to my LCS again today. Was looking at a couple Daredevil 182's. I think there was some major trimming on the book. Has anyone know any non-trimmed Daredevil 182 that just had a serious cropping issue or was miscut? This issues top edge was the banner that reads Marvel Comics Group, it even appeared that the Comics code stamp was cut into. Is this blatant trimming or was it a legitimate defect. Here is a regular cover for comparison

The Miller Daredevils are my favorites and I own two sets of the whole run in slabs and a bunch of under-copies. These books are notoriously miscut.

I don't think it's trimmed.

Is it the right edge that you expect was trimmed? That should be easy to spot, look at the how to spot resto thread, if the pages have the V pattern then it is not trimmed. I'm in the camp that says why trim this book? The quality control was not stellar and it's not unusual for these books to be slightly different sizes. Was this at AABC? If so, have Alan or Phil take a look at it (preferably Phil), they will shoot you straight and if they think it's trimmed they'll pull the book.

The Miller Daredevils are my favorites and I own two sets of the whole run in slabs and a bunch of under-copies. These books are notoriously miscut.

I don't think it's trimmed.

Given the recent bally-hoo, I can't believe no one has thrown out this gratuitous one-liner, But CGC may think so or not, or so or not...

I would doubt it is trimmed also but if you're unsure or uncomfortable, don't buy it. This isn't an uncommon book.

That book isn't worth trimming, imho.

Nobody is going to make that kind of effort on a $35 9.8 book.

As someone else said, the later issue Miller DD's are very cheap and VERY common. Just find another.

If the trimming's that blatant merely lining it up with another book from that period should tell the tale.

This is incorrect.

I know I'm a big meanie for what I'm about to say but going off half cocked is SOP for kav.

Quality control on Marvel comics from that era is pretty poor. More than likely, the cover was simply miscut at the printers. without seeing the book in person, claiming ther book is miscut or trimmed is beyond my abilities.

I just checked the census for 182 and out of 691 copies of this book graded, none have come back restored. I know that doesn't mean that someone wouldn't trim it, but its not that valuable enough of a book to really warrant trimming in my opinion.

This is incorrect.

I know I'm a big meanie for what I'm about to say but going off half cocked is SOP for kav.

Just repeating what I read on a how to detect resto site

This is incorrect.

Please point me to that site. I have to read that

This is incorrect.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Is-my-comic-restored-/10000000001507047/g.html

This is incorrect.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Is-my-comic-restored-/10000000001507047/g.html

Should probably stick to a more reputable source. :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=30&page=1