• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who or what is the most controversial thing in comics?

92 posts in this topic

I find it hilarious how he thinks paint on his face legitimizes him somehow.

He's banned from everywhere so he basically just went away.

Paint on his face, hands are clean. Was he itching that scratch with the tip of his brush?

I find it hilarious how he thinks paint on his face legitimizes him somehow.

He's banned from everywhere so he basically just went away.

Paint on his face, hands are clean. Was he itching that scratch with the tip of his brush?

BAZINGA!

Most of the posts here are using "controversial" improperly, and replacing it with things that most deem inherently "bad". If everybody agrees that something is bad (or good) then there is no controversy.

Controversy suggests that there are large numbers of supporters and detractors, and that the debate is as yet unsettled.

Hands down the biggest controversy in comics today is CGC itself. After 10 years and millions of dollars in business, it remains a strongly debated subject. Nearly all high-end collectors use or at least buy and sell CGC product, and it is the default product of major auction houses, yet after a decade a majority of collectors (those buying average-grade comics) do not employ the service. Probably half the comics buyers that come into my shop are still unaware, or only vaguely aware, of its existence.

When it premiered it was heralded by many collectors as the service that would bring stability and assurance to the hobby, yet (and through no fault of CGC itself) prices have never been more volatile, extreme, and unpredictable. CGC has (a couple of glitches aside) more dependably identified restoration than was available prior, but the to-purple or not-to-purple debate rages on with about a 50-50 division.

Collectors themselves are still unsure of their own expectations for CGC, with some claiming it is designed to be simply an opinion service backed by certain internal guidelines, while others seem to expect its analyses to be flawless and its grades, once given, to be sacrosanct.

Some believe comics should be read and never encased, while others believe encasement is one of the few means to ensure survival of many rarer issues, particularly those in nearly as-issued condition.

Many are wary of CGC's near-monopoly, while others point out would-be competitors have so far lacked CGC's stature, competece, and level of trust needed to be successful.

It is a company (and in more general terms,the practice of "slabbing" itself) that is adored by many, and frowned upon by many. The price escalations that have ensued since its enception have made millions for savvy dealers and flippers, while driving some collectors with smaller wallets out of the hobby altogether.

It has brought trust. It has brought skepticism. It has alleviated risk. It has exacerbated risk. It has created for collectors the best of times. It has created for collectors the worst of times. It is the final word. It is only the first word.

If one takes "controversy" to mean what it really means... this is where it is at today. And like any good controversy, it isn't settled until it's settled, and it doesn't matter on which side of the fence one stands, there is the nagging doubt that one may be on the wrong side.

Now that's what makes a good controversy!

And like any good controversy, it isn't settled until it's settled, and it doesn't matter on which side of the fence one stands, there is the nagging doubt that one may be on the wrong side.

Betty vs. Veronica applies very well here...

BIGGEST CONTROVERSY IN COMICS!

146471.jpg.0e9ed2f20f9923e358cbb107b743e192.jpg

The biggest controversy in comics is whatever gets talked about the most here in CG.

Kav is the biggest controversy in comics.

I disagree. Greggy is very controversial. Don't forget...can't believe I'm doing this...Strawberry Shortcake gate.

Release the hounds!!! :ohnoez:

Kav is the biggest controversy in comics.

I disagree. Greggy is very controversial. Don't forget...can't believe I'm doing this...Strawberry Shortcake gate.

Release the hounds!!! :ohnoez:

I remember that lol

RMA would've definitely made a better showing than Bill Gaines, but would it have been enough to keep the cowardly publishers from censoring their own industry (and creating a code specifically aimed at Gaines)?

Remember, the government never actually did anything... The Comic Book Publishers, out of fear they would, censored themselves.

They've always been the ones to stifle this artform more than anyone.

I firmly believe that the Comics Code has been one of the strongest elements in the definition of a specific approach to comics.

The Marvel age has been so unique and memorable also thanks to the Comics Code, as much as ill-fated might have been its conception (and the various motivations).

Of course, these prevented comics "not suitable for children" to be created and distributed, but again, what is truly "not suitable for children" and why? The Comics Code brought these questions to the forefront, and for this reason a good portion of american comic book history is relevant in an unique way compared, say, to european productions.

If you want to produce an "adult" and "mature" comic, you can do it as much freely within the strongest restraints (or what is perceived as such). In fact, I consider this the measure of good artistry. :)

1. Pressing

2. Is that trimmed?

Couldn't agree more... I collect OA and when I think of buying some slabs to compliment my collection, these aspects turn me off. Digital comics and OA are pretty much the only things I buy nowadays with the exception of some speculation off the rack.

1. Pressing

2. Is that trimmed?

Couldn't agree more... I collect OA and when I think of buying some slabs to compliment my collection, these aspects turn me off. Digital comics and OA are pretty much the only things I buy nowadays with the exception of some speculation off the rack.

Pressing isn't a big deal but eventually there may be type of collector that goes for books with worn edges thus assuring they are definitely not trimmed.