• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 missing tattooz: valuation question

85 posts in this topic

I'm really surprise how many people seem to be OK with the Tattooz being replaced and undisclosed.

I don't think too many collectors are cool with removing the staples, removing the pages, then marrying a Tattooz insert to a comic, and then putting the Frankenstein book all back together, so you're probably referring to some unethical sellers.

I agree. Way too much manipulation in my book. :sumo:

As to Gsims' statement, I'm not so sure that's what people here were implying, it's a discussion thread. :)

Personally I would be pissed to find out my CGC copy had a replaced tattoo and not the genuine thing. 2c

How would you know??? hm

Hopefully CGC could tell if the book had been totally disassembled and then reassembled.

Personally I would be pissed to find out my CGC copy had a replaced tattoo and not the genuine thing. 2c

How would you know??? hm

Hopefully CGC could tell if the book had been totally disassembled and then reassembled.

I'm sure they certainly can (as could you or I), but I believe that whetton was talking about after the fact.

How would you know??? hm

I'm sure they certainly can (as could you or I), but I believe that whetton was talking about after the fact.

So CGC knows it's a Frankenstein copy but doesn't do anything about it?

How would you know??? hm

No, not what I was saying. Whetteon said he'd be pissed if he found out his (already slabbed) CGC copy had a replaced tattooz.

How would you know??? hm

uhuh.gif

How would you know??? hm

No, not what I was saying. Whetteon said he'd be pissed if he found out his (already slabbed) CGC copy had a replaced tattooz.

^^

Somebody already said they know of a couple that have been slabbed without any comments.

If so, they were extremely well done. ;)

I can guarantee that the ASM #238 that I bought new off the stands in December of 1982 never had the tattooz to begin with.

I would think that it would be a relatively common occurance for the printer to fail to get the tattooz in some of the copies. It makes me wonder how CGC can tell if the tattooz were removed vs. never being there in the first place?

I can guarantee that the ASM #238 that I bought new off the stands in December of 1982 never had the tattooz to begin with.

I would think that it would be a relatively common occurance for the printer to fail to get the tattooz in some of the copies. It makes me wonder how CGC can tell if the tattooz were removed vs. never being there in the first place?

How? Were you the employee at the store that cut the bundle and put it on the rack? I don't doubt your confidence (just the chain of custody). :grin:

How? Were you the employee at the store that cut the bundle and put it on the rack? I don't doubt your confidence (just the chain of custody). :grin:

I understand what you're saying, I guess it is possible (but unlikely) that someone removed the tattooz from my copy before I purchased it.

But I guess that illustrates my point: I have no real way of knowing if my copy ever had the tattooz to begin with, and CGC has no way of knowing that either.

Maybe it's irrelevant, if the issue is supposed to have the tattooz and doesn't then technically I guess it's still "missing" the tattooz. I guess my problem is with the green label and the "incomplete" designation.

I understand what you're saying, I guess it is possible (but unlikely) that someone removed the tattooz from my copy before I purchased it.

But I guess that illustrates my point: I have no real way of knowing if my copy ever had the tattooz to begin with, and CGC has no way of knowing that either.

:gossip: Kidz with no money like tattooz that tear out easily. lol

But I hear you. Personally, I think calling this book incomplete because it's missing some karppy cheap-azz giveaway is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off base. :sumo:

I believe that many collectors would consider an ASM 238 with the tattooz removed to be incomplete.

Agreed, and while it's not as bad as a "clipped MVS" (which IMO is the worst type of these), it's still an incomplete book and deserving of the GLOD.

I would normally agree, but here I don't. Really, as a comic collector, do I care about some crappy little tattooz or a coupon, neither of which impact the structural integrity of the book (if missing)? Not. At. All.

As a reseller of slabbed books, do I care? Abso-freakin'-lutely! :sumo:lol

Yes to me CGC is wrong and the comic community as whole has this wrong.

This stupid insert effects nothing and has nothing to do with the comic itself.

Value should equal.

This isn't any different than the valiant books missing there inserted coupon. The book is incomplete.

Not quite the same - the Valiant coupons had a story panel on them (Harbinger), or a piece of book-related art (Magnus).