• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Troublesome mounting of artwork.

15 posts in this topic

I have a new Piece that I am having troubles getting mounted. I am trying to use pure friction rather then adhesive to keep it in place but so far its not working. What do you guys use to mount your prized artwork and keep it in place?

Mylar corners work well, but if the frame is jostled or falls, they can be problematic to the art itself.

you can also build acid free paper corners of the same effect, if you are so inclined.

The generally accepted method is with japanese hinges. These are made with acid free paper and a paste that is a rice paste derivative. It is totally water soluble, non-acidic and if done correctly by a trained professional, it will flex and or release under stress like a fall to the floor without ripping the original.

There are pre-manufactured hinge tapes available on the market for those who aren't 100% sure what they are doing.

Instructions for hinge mounting techniques are a google search away.

-e.

Mylar corners work well, but if the frame is jostled or falls, they can be problematic to the art itself.

you can also build acid free paper corners of the same effect, if you are so inclined.

The generally accepted method is with japanese hinges. These are made with acid free paper and a paste that is a rice paste derivative. It is totally water soluble, non-acidic and if done correctly by a trained professional, it will flex and or release under stress like a fall to the floor without ripping the original.

There are pre-manufactured hinge tapes available on the market for those who aren't 100% sure what they are doing.

Instructions for hinge mounting techniques are a google search away.

-e.

Will this affect the art in any way? I see there is some pre done tape on Amazon I can order. I am mostly worried about the artwork itself becoming damaged/discolored.

Another idea would be to use those little plastic corners that hold photographs in an album? Haven't tried it myself, but it just crossed my mind . . .

Ding ding ding ding

^^

This is what I do. It won't work that well on large art paper over A3 size.

Large clear photo corners mounted to the mat, then artwork inserted into the corners. I'm just not into sticking anything to original art, archival or not.

Large clear photo corners mounted to the mat, then artwork inserted into the corners. I'm just not into sticking anything to original art, archival or not.

You have a brand you use? I checked Amazon and saw 2 but they didn't look very large.

Go to any craft store or look on line and find "Archival Mounting Strips" by Lineco. They do not adhere directly to the art and it's what the frame shops use. If you want to go really crazy go buy a point gun and you can seal the back of the frame professionally too.

You have a brand you use? I checked Amazon and saw 2 but they didn't look very large.

Got go to an archival place to find the big ones. Here ya go! I believe I have the 1 1/4" ones. A box lasts forever .