• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCS on Display at National

32 posts in this topic

Since Motor City has a deep supply of CGC books it was interesting to look

through some of them at the National Show and compare the slab grade to

reality. A lot appeared to have some slab damage. I saw a 9.6 80-Page Giant

on which the bottom of the spine had a pronounced ding. There were many

other examples.

If shipping a single slab to a buyer can result in damage, I wouldn't think

carting boxes of slabs from show to show would be too healthy either. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeah, I got two books in the mail today with pronounced slab damage in one of the corners on each of the books. So, why did I pay a premium?!?

For the resto check. If the comic had 2 drops of color touch, then u lost 75- 80% of the retail value. frustrated.gif

So--a 30% cut due to SCS is preferable to a 70%+ cut if restoration is found. Wow, lose lose...time to find another hobby

Yeah, the "resto check" argument is laughably stupid. Whatever did people do before CGC??!??

So--a 30% cut due to SCS is preferable to a 70%+ cut if restoration is found. Wow, lose lose...time to find another hobby

Yeah, the "resto check" argument is laughably stupid. Whatever did people do before CGC??!??

Get stuck with an awful lot of books that were illictly restored,maybe?Perhaps its just a big co-inky dink but many of the shadiest dealers in the hobby seem to have retired just about the same time CGC became so prominent.

The resto check is mostly meaningless if you are getting last months Idenity Crisis but well worth it if you are getting a prime SA book done.In that case,even if SCS caused a drop from 9.0 to 8.5,you'd still get more for the book than if you tried to sell it raw,in most cases.

Get stuck with an awful lot of books that were illictly restored,maybe?Perhaps its just a big co-inky dink but many of the shadiest dealers in the hobby seem to have retired just about the same time CGC became so prominent.

The resto check is mostly meaningless if you are getting last months Idenity Crisis but well worth it if you are getting a prime SA book done.In that case,even if SCS caused a drop from 9.0 to 8.5,you'd still get more for the book than if you tried to sell it raw,in most cases.

But if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All I'm saying is that if there is restoration that is SO difficult to detect that it requires the aid of a "professional", then I don't understand what the issue is? Was restoration as big of an issue (in terms of value, etc) before CGC?

Don't pay silly premiums for 9.6s & 9.8s or any slab for that matter. gossip.gif

Oh wise one--I no longer pay silly premiums. But, compared to buying a book raw, you usually pay more--that was my point. I am becoming more comfortable letting a book "go" because there's always another one that will come by. (Recalling silly money for that HOM 185 I paid on vault--there's been another 9.6 and a 9.4 is up now)

Don't pay silly premiums for 9.6s & 9.8s or any slab for that matter. gossip.gif

Oh wise one--I no longer pay silly premiums. But, compared to buying a book raw, you usually pay more--that was my point. I am becoming more comfortable letting a book "go" because there's always another one that will come by. (Recalling silly money for that HOM 185 I paid on vault--there's been another 9.6 and a 9.4 is up now)

Just going by your marketplace thread from a couple of weeks ago. "Bold Red Items are books I'd pay serious bucks for." So things have changed & you're not going to pay big bucks for them any more? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a hard time believing that people here are too shy to send a PM. Go ask greggy, realitytrip, capercaillie, and ckb how much I pay for books confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought we established that you don't high premiums any more? makepoint.gif

It looks like no one has the goods...

Reverse Psychology huh? Yeah, I guess you'll never get what you're looking for. yeahok.gif

Post buy prices & ppl may step up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have a hard time believing that people here are too shy to send a PM. Go ask greggy, realitytrip, capercaillie, and ckb how much I pay for books confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy?

Yo why don't you sell him some of the goods? You've got a horror horde. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy?

Yo why don't you sell him some of the goods? You've got a horror horde. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy?

Not anymore...at least the "good" stuff! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greggy?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Evidently he pays a lot or maybe not. I'm confused. foreheadslap.gif