• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 5:58 AM, Grendel72 said:

The collections are so impressive. I went to dig some slabs from my own collection. They are nothing compared to what has been shared but I always thought mine were worth at most 50-100 bucks a slab. Nice to know they could be worth slightly more 

20240227_215329.thumb.jpg.cb6de819c4f4fe7fc0cde49d90e26f05.jpg

Congrats - that’s a great set of CFDs.:golfclap:

On 2/27/2024 at 6:50 PM, RedGiant said:

In my 30 or so years collecting CFD, I found an item I had never seen before. Couldn’t remember if I’ve ever shared here before or not. Couldn’t find anything on it so I reached out to Joe Linsner, who confirmed this appears to be photocopy of issue 1 that they used to shop around to prospective publishers. Said he hadn’t seen on in many years. They ultimately published the book themselves but this seems like a very cool item that pre-dates #1. Figured I’d share here for anyone searching this thread. 
Screenshot2024-02-27at3_41_53PM.thumb.png.e31e044ae2ea76a9e5c6e2e90039ab05.png

I can't imagine there'd be any way to authenticate these (although there's clearly no reason to believe this copy is anything other than what it appears to be, of course), but that detail aside, what a fantastic piece of Linsner history.

On 3/6/2024 at 5:33 PM, RedGiant said:

FINALLY!  It’s been more than 3 years since I’ve had an upgrade to my CFD set. This #5 limited is now 1 of 2 in grade.  Only one more 9.8 to go. A #7 limited (deluxe letterbox edition). Still zero on census in 24+ years of CGC slabbing books. Wild!  Extremely happy to finally get this #5 limited, been a long road. 
IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.a12ae026483a92d0b89f6b5edbaab911.jpeg

The famed executive copy.  Well done man, what a beautiful book. All collections pale in comparison to yours.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:08 PM, RedGiant said:

Crazy tough book in true high grade. Zero 9.8s prior to 2020. Now 2, both of which I owned (sold one to another CFD fanatic). Always has rusty staples inside at centerfold. If you are lucky enough to find one with clean staples - that shiny red cardboard cover shows every possible tiny defect and 9 times out of 10 it can’t be pressed out. Tbh I’m surprised that book didn’t go for more than it did. 

On 2/26/2024 at 4:08 PM, RedGiant said:

Crazy tough book in true high grade. Zero 9.8s prior to 2020. Now 2, both of which I owned (sold one to another CFD fanatic). Always has rusty staples inside at centerfold. If you are lucky enough to find one with clean staples - that shiny red cardboard cover shows every possible tiny defect and 9 times out of 10 it can’t be pressed out. Tbh I’m surprised that book didn’t go for more than it did. 

This book is back up for auction, I don’t know what to make of that, but generally, it’s not for a good reason.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:50 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

This book is back up for auction, I don’t know what to make of that, but generally, it’s not for a good reason.

I mean for auctions in a lot of cases it's just because the buyer didn't pay for whatever reason. Many times it's probably just a case of second guessing and buyer's remorse. There wasn't enough time between listings to ship out, have it be returned, refunded, and then relisted.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:48 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

The famed executive copy.  Well done man, what a beautiful book. All collections pale in comparison to yours.

Not so sure about that but thank you. It’s been a long (and fun) journey. 

On 3/11/2024 at 9:31 AM, Nschenks said:

I mean for auctions in a lot of cases it's just because the buyer didn't pay for whatever reason. Many times it's probably just a case of second guessing and buyer's remorse. There wasn't enough time between listings to ship out, have it be returned, refunded, and then relisted.

Likely. Someone got an even better deal second time around if that book is really 9.6.