• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Cinematic Universe

9 posts in this topic

So, as I was watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight, I was thinking of how this series ties into the Marvel movies. I really love what Disney & Marvel are doing. It got me thinking about the Netflix series that will be coming out with the Defenders, Iron Fist, Iron Man, etc. Is that going to tie into this universe? I hope so, and it probably will. But, what has really kinda bummed me out is the use of Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. Now, I know Disney can't make movies with those characters, but, can they make TV series? Web series? Netflix, Hulu, or Redbox series? I don't recall reading anything about that anywhere. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Anyway, does anyone know if Disney could pursue these other media to work those characters into their Marvel Universe?

I think the Netflix series will tie into the MCU. They won't be able to have Coulson and his team check them out though.

Will be cool if the Defenders are a SHIELD team.

I think Marvel have TVRights to Spidey but not sure about the others.

Someone else had the same concerns and it was addressed in this article:

Spider-Man and X-Men TV rights

You'll have to scroll down to the second question but here is the gist of it:

Technically, Marvel (and thus Disney) do have the TV rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and all the other characters in the Marvel universe. So this is true, but I don’t think we’re in any danger of actually seeing Spider-Man or Wolverine on SHIELD, and here’s why.

Sony and Fox still have all the image rights to their versions of Spider-Man and the X-Men, so not only would Marvel have to recast the roles, but they’d also have to make sure they looked somewhat different. I don’t know that that means they’d have to put Spidey in his black suit or something, but I do know they couldn’t use the movie suit.

I think the Netflix series will tie into the MCU. They won't be able to have Coulson and his team check them out though.

Why wouldn't Coulson and Co be able to show up in the Netflix series?

Sony and Fox still have all the image rights to their versions of Spider-Man and the X-Men, so not only would Marvel have to recast the roles, but they’d also have to make sure they looked somewhat different. I don’t know that that means they’d have to put Spidey in his black suit or something, but I do know they couldn’t use the movie suit.

[/i][/b]

That would be the same deal as Smallville, where you could make a Peter Parker TV show, but it would be lawsuit city if they started putting him in a costume that even resembled the movie character.

But that also means a Wolverine TV appearance could be easily done by using the traditional costume.

Why wouldn't Coulson and Co be able to show up in the Netflix series?

Because AoS is ABC I assume they won't crossover but it would be cool if they did. :banana:

I'd love to see an FF TV show that followed the comic in the same way Game of Thrones follows the books - with very little ad lib.

So you'd have the origin, then an invasion from some Skrulls; Sue and Ben could knit up some costumes; Subby and Doom show up, maybe Puppet Master. Hulk drops in to cause havok, King Kong-style.

The team could go to the moon and battle the Red Ghost; The Watcher appears. Then you'd have the coming of Galactus and the Surfer....

Basically just following the comic stories as closely as possible. Would be amazing.