• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Iron Man 55

23 posts in this topic

The 2 most notable defects here are the small piece missing from the edge of the back cover, and that unfortunate huge crease on the front. I know that is a grade killer, but otherwise this is a pretty solid copy. What do you all think? Thanks

im55f.jpg

im55b.jpg

4.5 IMHO! The large crease on the front cover is the defect that factors the most for me. Couple that with the spine, edge and general wear! The book actually presents nicer but it is what it is!

So, hypothetically, if that large crease on the front was the ONLY defect (no piece missing, no spine creases, etc) what would be the best grade it could get?

It seems CGC is sometimes willing to give otherwise high grade books with a single large color breaking crease grades over 6.0. It's not a policy I would share.

So, hypothetically, if that large crease on the front was the ONLY defect (no piece missing, no spine creases, etc) what would be the best grade it could get?

It seems CGC is sometimes willing to give otherwise high grade books with a single large color breaking crease grades over 6.0. It's not a policy I would share.

This is true and it is also the same stance that the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide has for books in the 2.5 to 8.5 grading range. As long as no other defects are present some defects are allowed.

Sounds reasonable, within reason?

I think hypothetically if the large crease was the only defect you might get as high as 6.5. The corners aren't sharp and that would hold you back from anything higher - that is assuming that the rest of the book was "pristine".

IMHO!

Final question....Is it worth getting pressed and a cleaned before grading?? No matter the answer I am getting it graded, but curious if its worth to get those things done!

I think the book is a 4.5 as it sits. Cleaning and pressing it might bump it to a 5.0 but I wouldn't think any higher given the large CB crease and missing piece on the back cover. Have Joey post look at it and give you a more professional response, he's the man for these types of questions! Good luck and keep us posted of the results, including pressing and cleaning status!