• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bronze Marvel Discussion Part Two - Fantastic Four

18 posts in this topic

Much like Captain America in my previous thread, I never payed much attention to bronze FFs. If putting together a reading run, which issues would you include?

Obviously, the Byrne issues in the late bronze/copper are must haves and I do have those, but not much else.

What are the gems in the run? Any stinkers?

Previous Bronze Marvel Discussions

Bronze Marvel Discussion Part One - Captain America

Well, for starters, the Gabriel/Silver Surfer/Galactus story 120-123 was pretty great, the early 130's-177 including the Doom/Surfer, Galactus and Impossible Man storylines were decent. The Doom storyline from 198-200 and the Skrull run in the early 200's were pretty good as well.

Well, for starters, the Gabriel/Silver Surfer/Galactus story 120-123 was pretty great, the early 130's-177 including the Doom/Surfer, Galactus and Impossible Man storylines were decent. The Doom storyline from 198-200 and the Skrull run in the early 200's were pretty good as well.

Beat me to it #107-#116 is good too, the Thing turning bad and fighting the Hulk, teaming up with Doc Doom, loved that story arc. :cloud9:

If we consider 1970 as a rough starting point for Bronze, the tail end of the Lee/Kirby run peters out. Jack is disenchanted to say the least and has one foot out the door. Stan with myriad other things on his plate is just phoning it it. After Buscema starts drawing, the series continues to coast. Stories that take place over several issues just seem drawn out rather than expansive, and Stan's dialogue is minimal at best. The title feels adrift until Roy Thomas takes over the writing.

The stories become more coherent and meaty at this point, and Buscema is a great artist but like many comics made by second generation creators, they lack pizazz and come off as retreads of the 60s era with occasional new twists.

By the time Rich Buckler got on board with Gerry Conway writing, things picked up a bit; maybe still a shadow of what was but a bit more captivating. Thomas came back with a bang with the start of a truncated four issue saga in #160, and kept things cooking when Perez took over the art in #164.

Plots took a look backward here with the return of Marvel Boy (the Crusader), Hulk vs. Thing, Thing loses his powers, giant pre-hero style monster Gorr, Galactus et. al. but the stories remained entertaining.

The series drifted again a bit after that until Byrne and the Copper Age.

Since I'm a run builder and none of those books are particularly pricey, I'd recommend just getting all of them.

By the time Rich Buckler got on board with Gerry Conway writing, things picked up a bit

One issue I really liked from that run was Fantastic Four 151. It had a meanass villain who beat the FF senseless, some wild feminist propaganda, and some pretty nice art.

$(KGrHqMOKnQE5JfGZ9YRBOimNwd86g~~_12.JPG

They totally screwed the pooch in the subsequent issues (probably feeling bad they let Mahhizmo pummel the FF, they explained it away as "mind control/powers" :facepalm:) totally ruining the entire story, and the art went south real quick as well.

But 151 was pretty good (just don't read 152-53) and I still remember some panels, like these, which I thought were pretty wild for a "kid's comic":

146488.jpg.369f06a80656270f42a64f6ef532bd2c.jpg

146489.jpg.b3dc6ff3787f1f78846fbd3229d1aa84.jpg

I loved the Conway/Buckler issues as a kid. In fact, FF #149 was the first comic I purchased off of the spinner rack at my local 7-11. :cloud9:

I personally think these two 3-part story lines are the best of the FF bronze age:

FF 142-144

ff142-144_zpsedfc8e4a.png

FF 147-149

ff147-149_zpsdcfcc1dc.png

The 3-part story line in FF 155-157 is also excellent.

Yeah, that Darkoth run from 142-144 were pretty good, especially 144.

Also enjoyed the Surfer-Doom rematch from 155-157, but again, 157 was the best issue with a knock-out-drag-out brawl with the Doomsman and the twist ending with Mephisto.

I know a little about Bronze Age Fantastic Fours. The Bronze Age for Fantastic Four is very easily defined - 117-200. Before that they're still in the Silver Age, and after that they've clearly left the Bronze Age - its not Copper yet but it is very different. The Sphinx story in 208 is significantly different from the Dr. Doom storyline in 200, for example.

If you want to read the most Bronze Age-y Fantastic Four story, there's really nothing better to get into than the 166-175 run. The FF battle the Hulk, Ben Grimm becomes non-rocky (with angst!), Power Man joins the group, the Silver Surfer, and Galactus! Plus there's assorted weirdness.

One thing to note about Bronze Age FFs, in hindsight, is just what a Reed is. Bronze Age Reed Richards is most definitely NOT the cool mad scientist guy he is now. He comes across as your really stern dad who is pissed off all the time.

Also, if you want to read some fun Bronze Age-y stuff, check out Johnny Storm's outfits in the 160s. If you want textbook examples of what happens when old guys try to envision what is "hip" - see what the Marvel bullpen put on Johnny.

Always buying 9.8 white page FFs from the Bronze Age, btw. I'm putting together a Bronze Age run. Crazy, but true.

If you want to read the most Bronze Age-y Fantastic Four story, there's really nothing better to get into than the 166-175 run.

The late-160's and 170's are some of my favorite books from a nostalgic point of view and I picked those up religiously as a kid - the Power-man story was fun, and I don't think were many issues I waited for more anticipation than the big Galactus vs. High Evolutionary fight in 175.

Ditto on the 166 to 175, (maybe 176 too) run. After Byrne's earlier issues, 166 to 175-76 are some of my favorite non SA FF's. I know this is a BA thread, but does anyone want to give a crack at when the FF Copper age was? While I realize Bryne's early issues were the late BA/early CA, the early Bryne books sometimes have a feel of both copper and bronze to me, but more copper.

Ditto on the 166 to 175, (maybe 176 too) run. After Byrne's earlier issues, 166 to 175-76 are some of my favorite non SA FF's. I know this is a BA thread, but does anyone want to give a crack at when the FF Copper age was? While I realize Bryne's early issues were the late BA/early CA, the early Bryne books sometimes have a feel of both copper and bronze to me, but more copper.

Copper Age FF is easy. The Byrne run 232-294. Before that is the "mystery meat", after that for a long time is terrible.