• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mold CGC slab

27 posts in this topic

Noticed I have what appears to be mold building up on the inside one of my CGC slabs. Is this slab a candidate for a reholder? On the submission form it lists scratched / damaged as acceptable reasons for for reholder. I'd really like to reholder this slab before it gets worse...

You can't see it in a photo... It looks like light coating of dust stuck to the inside of the slab but it's mold alright ... :sick: This particular book isn't really a "money" book. It's a $100 comic that was kept in a box in my PC room... that room can get pretty hot in the summer time up in the hi 80's. . My More valuable slabs are kept in a humidor with climate control.

From my experience mold needs a couple things to be present.

1. A porous organic material as a food source. (This could be paper of the comic)

2. moisture/ damp environment with little air flow.

I worked in mold remediation many many years ago.

One of the properties of mylar is that they are mold and mildew resistant. That's why you see them use it in a broad range of long term food storage applications.

I'm not sure what the exterior case is made of, or if the case is mold and mildew resistant. Either way, the mylar is not hermetically sealed, so if you are storing them in a humid environment, you can sustain damage to the book.

The mold formed around the same area that looked like little pockets of moisture when the book was returned from CGC...

The "little pockets of moisture" is most likely the optical illusion also referred to as a the oil spill effect. It's caused by light reflecting off the inner well - it doesn't actually mean there's any moisture inside the slab.

The mold formed around the same area that looked like little pockets of moisture when the book was returned from CGC...

The "little pockets of moisture" is most likely the optical illusion also referred to as a the oil spill effect. It's caused by light reflecting off the inner well - it doesn't actually mean there's any moisture inside the slab.

Wish I had a scanner on hand. I don't think digital photo's will pick it up...?

Statement from CGC regarding this issue.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4028966

If water was there and it dried what you have is most likely the TDS and minerals that are present in everyday water.

All water even the bottled kind is full of micro organism and minerals such as rust, salt etc and it sounds more like a water "stain' then a form of mold.

1. A porous organic material as a food source. (This could be paper of the comic)

Maybe it got slabbed with a slice of bologna

Do you pronounce it Bo-log-na or Baloney only one is correct and the other is the work of the devil.

Do you pronounce it Bo-log-na or Baloney only one is correct and the other is the work of the devil.

Baloney! (dual purpose answer) :grin: