• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay auctions cancelled

15 posts in this topic

His description on the Son of Origins was incorrect (it wasn't the printed cover) so he pulled it and then the ASM went soon after.

Maybe they will be re-listed ?

I have written the seller and will post an update

Wow. Kind of a sweet piece to go for $900. I'm guessing someone approached him privately and he sold it. I've done a variety of deals like that - it's definitely a risk for the buyer if you don't put in a low bid and/or you are sniping.

There were TONS of bids on both items. The auctions were both in full swing and were going to go for a lot of money.

Ebay really is the wild west. Judging by some of the responses already in this thread some collectors have generally accepted the idea of sellers ending items early for off-ebay offers and collectors trying to get sellers to end auctions early. How about you think about an item on Heritage or Clink being ended early for a private deal? Would that finally get someone who condones these actions to rethink their position? :screwy:

Personally, the only way I ever contact a seller privately is to tell them that I hope they let the auction run its course but if they are being pressured to end it early then they should allow me a shot at it as well.

In this particular case I think the seller was being pressured by a number of individuals (plus he had a listing error in the lesser of the two pieces) and he has since declared they're on their way to an auction house. We'll see if that's smoke or not.

Don't forget that some people also use ebay as a testing ground and/or as an "option to sell" marketplace. I have seen a lot of stuff go up in the past year, with no reserves, and sellers would pull the listings if there a) was not enough bids or 2) current bid was not high enough. After auctions were pulled, they would go right back up again. One seller had a bunch of nice OA and I won an auction only because bids went high early. All of his other listings were pulled, so I got lucky.

There were TONS of bids on both items. The auctions were both in full swing and were going to go for a lot of money.

Ebay really is the wild west. Judging by some of the responses already in this thread some collectors have generally accepted the idea of sellers ending items early for off-ebay offers and collectors trying to get sellers to end auctions early. How about you think about an item on Heritage or Clink being ended early for a private deal? Would that finally get someone who condones these actions to rethink their position? :screwy:

Personally, the only way I ever contact a seller privately is to tell them that I hope they let the auction run its course but if they are being pressured to end it early then they should allow me a shot at it as well.

In this particular case I think the seller was being pressured by a number of individuals (plus he had a listing error in the lesser of the two pieces) and he has since declared they're on their way to an auction house. We'll see if that's smoke or not.

That's far different. If he already had bids on the items, then he pulled them, that's just bad form.

I cannot vouch for the seller but he informed me by email that he was pulling the auctions because of errors or incompleteness in the descriptions. They do not appear to have been sold privately and according to the seller will be offered for auction sometime this year (and maybe soon). It sounded like he was giving discretion to the auction house as to when to list.

I don't think we as a community should find it acceptable that sellers end Ebay listing early because of private sale offers. For the record, I have been burned several notable times as a bidder on Ebay and the listing is pulled because of a private sale (including not that long ago on a BWS page from Iron Man #232 that I was high bidder on). I don't view that as acceptable seller behavior (and of course it violates Ebay rules--but with no real policing or enforcement, sellers still do it).

And if they do want to pull it I would want the courtesy of an email asking me my Best Offer so I can have a shot at it as well.

The only way I see that is even a bit understandable (even though I still don't like it) is if the buyer knew about the piece from the seller's own website or by contact with the seller before the Ebay listing and then taht buyer pulled the trigger on the seller's price outside of Ebay.

As an infrequent seller I am sometimes asked to end an auction early but I won't do it.

I don't think we as a community should find it acceptable that sellers end Ebay listing early because of private sale offers. For the record, I have been burned several notable times as a bidder on Ebay and the listing is pulled because of a private sale (including not that long ago on a BWS page from Iron Man #232 that I was high bidder on). I don't view that as acceptable seller behavior (and of course it violates Ebay rules--but with no real policing or enforcement, sellers still do it).

And if they do want to pull it I would want the courtesy of an email asking me my Best Offer so I can have a shot at it as well.

The only way I see that is even a bit understandable (even though I still don't like it) is if the buyer knew about the piece from the seller's own website or by contact with the seller before the Ebay listing and then taht buyer pulled the trigger on the seller's price outside of Ebay.

As an infrequent seller I am sometimes asked to end an auction early but I won't do it.

For the risk adverse, leaving money on the table is not easy.

For the risk adverse, leaving money on the table is not easy.

Then they shouldn't hold a phony auction. They should list it on CAF with the price they want to get.

I'll give the seller here a pass, though, especially if it's actually going to be auctioned later.

Then they shouldn't hold a phony auction. They should list it on CAF with the price they want to get.

I'll give the seller here a pass, though, especially if it's actually going to be auctioned later.

Yes, the seller appeared (at least in my emails with him) to be genuine in that he thought the descriptions were potentially problematic and that he wanted the auction house to deal with it and list them correctly (and not have to himself deal with it). We'll see.