• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist suggestions for my wall centerpiece project

13 posts in this topic

I've been working on a Don Winslow of the Navy wall with my presentable Raw comics. I was thinking of having a center piece be a BW ink 11 X 17 Artist Commission

I really have no idea who to contact for the piece and I would love to hear your thoughts. I would Prefer to deal with a Artist that frequents the board here but it isn't a requirement.

I just want them to be good at pin-up art style. I have a couple hundred bucks to spend max on the piece.

As for the piece itself Im thinking WW2 pin up art. I always liked the girl riding the bomb pics on nose arts "here is an example'

bomber-girls-pinup-picture-640x634.jpg

and the subject will of course be Singapore Sal :)

here is Zoltan Szenics take on Sal

I love the dress and the Sub-Machine gun

10wiqdi.jpg

here is Frank Turner's modern version from Femforce

he kept the floppy hat which is Sal's trademark. "and I would like" :)

fem_force_no_46_spanking_panel.jpg

and a Classic Cover from the DWOTN books

be9h6b.jpg

I'm open to artist suggestions if you have any. oh and I am even in the ball park of what I can expect to pay?

Given that Vargas and Elvgren are unavailable, you might shoot for the living, but difficult to hire, Adam Hughes. He occasionally auctions a drawing on eBay for cons he's attending.

I like this one by him.

adam_hughes__supergirl__001.jpg

for a tenth of what those guys charge you could get a sweet piece by Steve Mannion. I think he does great bombshell type women. Just letting you know that there are cheap alternatives as well

for a tenth of what those guys charge you could get a sweet piece by Steve Mannion. I think he does great bombshell type women. Just letting you know that there are cheap alternatives as well

If I remember right, Byrne charges $1100 for a fully rendered 11 x 17 commission with backgrounds. Never heard of Steve Mannion (sorry I'm just not updated with modern comics), but that would be great if he really charges a tenth or $110 for 11 x 17.

Also, Byrne's style has "evolved" over the years so it is hit-or-miss depending of your tastes and which era of Byrne was best.

If I remember right, Byrne charges $1100 for a fully rendered 11 x 17 commission with backgrounds. Never heard of Steve Mannion (sorry I'm just not updated with modern comics), but that would be great if he really charges a tenth or $110 for 11 x 17.

Yeah, that is about right. Mannion charges $200 at home for 11X17 but you could get him at a show for less, as I have. You should get out more, modern comics have a lot to offer.

Yeah, that is about right. Mannion charges $200 at home for 11X17 but you could get him at a show for less, as I have. You should get out more, modern comics have a lot to offer.

The rate is closer to 1/5th of what Byrne charges - still pretty reasonable. $200 for a fully rendered 11 x 17 is a great deal with full backgrounds. The hours for a piece of this size is pretty considerable.

That makes his a great option for the budget conscious commissioners, and for purposes of this thread - ultimately up to the commissioner who he chooses to be the centerpiece art.

Great to have a lot of mind share their insights to give the original poster more options.