• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crushed spine

24 posts in this topic

What constitutes a “crushed spine?” Exactly how smashed does a spine have to be before it’s deemed a crushed spine. Pressed comics tend to have a flattened spine. At what point does CGC determine it is a crushed spine and hammer the grade?

Anybody? Pictures would be nice.

The reason I ask is that CGC on their site has started a series of articles regarding defects caused by pressing. They haven't covered what they mean by "crushed spine." Does anybody know what a crushed spine is? On the surface, it seems self-explanatory. Yet to what extent is the damage before it's considered a crushed spine as opposed to pressed comics that may have a really flattened spine but are not downgraded? This may impact pressed comics that are resubmitted that may have passed before CGC started a tougher scrutiny of pressed comics.

I'm too lazy to look for the thread, but Larry of larry's comics had a pressing thread and he posted pictures of some of the books that he had pressed. With modern books I imagine the distinguishing feature would be originally V shaped spines that now look like a square bound or squarish in shape. For older books I don't know.

Pressed comics tend to have a flattened spine.

They do not unless the person pressing them has no idea what they are doing.

Or they end up looking like a Eggo waffle.

wafflepress_zps85fddd7e.jpg

I see you have a brand new BHooks 2000 comic book presser. You're ready for business!

wafflepress_zps85fddd7e.jpg

I see you have a brand new BHooks 2000 comic book presser. You're ready for business!

And it gets me ready for a day's pressing with a good breakfast!

pictures, I'd like to see pictures of a crushed spine please.

Id like to see some too because I've seen some books that have been pressed knife edge thin that have not received a crushed spine designation.

Those may have passed through CGC before Matt started and before they started hammering books for it.

This is exactly what they are talking about. Books where the spine is thinner than the rest of the book.

pictures, I'd like to see pictures of a crushed spine please.

Id like to see some too because I've seen some books that have been pressed knife edge thin that have not received a crushed spine designation.

Those may have passed through CGC before Matt started and before they started hammering books for it.

This is exactly what they are talking about. Books where the spine is thinner than the rest of the book.

If you have books with a crushed spine, you will identify it immediately just looking at the book.

I'm too lazy to look for the thread, but Larry of larry's comics had a pressing thread and he posted pictures of some of the books that he had pressed. With modern books I imagine the distinguishing feature would be originally V shaped spines that now look like a square bound or squarish in shape. For older books I don't know.

Is this it?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=6923280&Searchpage=1&Main=308941&Words=%26quot%3Bcrushed+spine%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post6923280

The reason I looked for that image is because I was thinking of a hypothetical...

A pedigree book is purchased raw and subsequently pressed.

Is it still a pedigree?

EDIT- I guess I answered this question myself this morning... of course it would be, because with no amount of certainty could you say that the books weren't pressed in some fashion while in the original owners possession. Of course from a purist standpoint, a different viewpoint would be held.

Is this it?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=6923280&Searchpage=1&Main=308941&Words=%26quot%3Bcrushed+spine%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post6923280

The thread Conan_Aficionado was referring to was this, http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7517878&fpart=1. I think the reason the spine was squarish was because Larry was inserting something in the comic when pressing. Maybe to keep the spine from flattening?

But the pictures of a pressed and an unpressed spines in the other thread are good examples. However, the spine on the pressed comic doesn't look that bad to me. Would that be considered a crushed spine, or does it need to be flatter than that to be considered a crushed spine?