• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration Recommendations

16 posts in this topic

I am still new to the global comic scene and have a book that I want to get restored, who would I want to talk to? How would I go about doing that? Do different people specialize in certain things?

Really any recommendations are useful to me at this point. The book has severe staple rust and is a little water damaged. It is also from the 1930's, if that is a factor for any recommendations.

Thanks a bunch in advance, everyone here has been sublimely helpful to me so far :)

Don't get it restored is my advice

I guess I had never thought about that option. I'm not looking to ever sell the book in question, is restoration frowned upon by the community?

My only suggestion would be that IF you get it restored, get it slabbed, so that way if anything ever happens to you, and your family goes to sell it, the buyer knows what they're getting. I own a few restored higher end books, and plan on getting them slabbed just for that purpose.

My only suggestion would be that IF you get it restored, get it slabbed, so that way if anything ever happens to you, and your family goes to sell it, the buyer knows what they're getting. I own a few restored higher end books, and plan on getting them slabbed just for that purpose.

That's true, I guess I'll have to do that if I get it restored, thanks :)

That cover is funny in 2014!!!

I'm usually against restoration but for something as novel as this I say go for it.

Therestorationlab.com is a good start. Good luck.

What is the book, and do you have any scans of it?

Star Comics no.7 Nov. 1937

002_zpsc1640915.jpg

Neat book!

But...restoration would probably cost more than the value of the book. Compete resto might cost thousands of dollars for a book that in the end might only be worth a few hundred.

What is the book, and do you have any scans of it?

Star Comics no.7 Nov. 1937

002_zpsc1640915.jpg

Looking at the water damage, I think that some restoration work could help, but probably wouldn't be cost effective on that book.

One thing you might contemplate is getting the rusted staples replaced (or doing it yourself) so you don't get further migration into the paper.

While the community generally frowns on restored books (I don't and some of my favourites have some CT or tear seals), things like preventing rust damage is really conservation and should be viewed as such.

First off, welcome to the boards!

Since you are looking to sell the book, I would leave it as it is. Having minor work done will cost you several hundred $, while a cgc 4.0 sold for $298 in 2012 and the 8.5 Mile High copy sold for $1,434. Unless the book has sentimental value for you and you intend to keep it for many years to come, I would keep/ sell it as is.