• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So This Is What Heaven Looks Like.... (Detective Comics eBay Auction)

48 posts in this topic

its really not hard to predict if you pay attention to the market and the indicators...

What was the indicator that AF #15 was going to double in price in 2007 or flatten out in 2012 and then jump again?

would be a bit foolish of me to publicly post my formula, wouldn't it (shrug)

but I'm pretty sure with a little thought and research, it would be fairly obvious what happened 2007/8 with af15 ;)

I know what happened. (shrug)

The 9.4 copy broke $200K in a Clink auction. Then everything else below 9.4 exploded. Then the book was thought to reach critical mass around 2011/2012.

Around the time that prices had plateaued 2 separate 7.0 or 7.5 copies (can't remember which) exploded in price again - except both copies were upgrade candidates (and I believe they both eventually upgraded) so these new price points created another spike in the public eye and it's been climbing ever since again.

The point is that you don't really know when the public's perception is going to change and human nature will follow or just ignore.

In the case of the two AF #15 7.0/7.5 copies human nature followed (when it shouldn't have IMO) but perception is reality and here we are.

Same goes for the Action or Tec groups of books. There are many variables and while they are the 'most sure thing' relatively speaking in comics they are not 'sure things'. Nothing is. Neither plateauing nor price increases.

keep in mind, it wasn't just af15 that "took" off in 2007/8...virtually every major GA and silver Key, to some extent, realized exponential gains (relative to previous years growth)....

I would think the dynamics must be different for AF 15, where there are an enormous numbers of copies around and a lot of people collecting them, and Action 13 and other GA books where there are only a few copies around, but also only a relatively few buyers.

It seems as if a handful of people getting into or out of the market for a particular run of GA books causes prices to move significantly, while this would not be true for SA keys, except perhaps in the very highest grades.

I would guess a dealer in high-end GA books probably knows (or knows of) a good fraction of the potential buyers of those books. I expect this will all be revealed when G.A.tor writes his memoirs. hm

keep in mind, it wasn't just af15 that "took" off in 2007/8...virtually every major GA and silver Key, to some extent, realized exponential gains (relative to previous years growth)....

If I remember correctly, it was all the less valuable keys that experienced growth in 2006/7.

I believe it was 2006 when the OSPG "popped" on secondary titles like TOS #39 and X-men #1 and JIM #83 and the market for those books exploded.

I'd have to pull out a guide to be sure but I don't think AF #15 or Action #1 did the same "pop" as those secondary titles.

AF #15 in 6.0 went from being a $6K book in 2006/07 to a $15K book in a matter of months but that happened about a year later.

Action #1 didn't explode in price until after 2009. 2009 was when you were outbid on the 6.0 copy at CC that went for $317K. It wasn't until about a year later in 2010 that Action #1 prices exploded when a previously unbelievable number was hit with the $1MIL sales.

So I'm not sure that all the various price explosioins were related. TOS #39 certainly benefited from movie hype as the movie was coming out 2 years later and so would have been in the works.

I don't think anybody foresaw Action #1 being a $1MIL book or AF #15 being a $1MIL book a few years later, which speaks to how unpredictable the market can be.

I would think the dynamics must be different for AF 15, where there are an enormous numbers of copies around and a lot of people collecting them, and Action 13 and other GA books where there are only a few copies around, but also only a relatively few buyers.

It seems as if a handful of people getting into or out of the market for a particular run of GA books causes prices to move significantly, while this would not be true for SA keys, except perhaps in the very highest grades.

SA and GA markets are definitely different although there is some commonality between them.

For example, if SA keys explode in price it starts to make GA books relatively cheap in comparison and I believe the tide then lifts whatever seems to be laying a bit low.

These are just all my opinions of course, but I am mainly speaking toward the unpredictability of the market. You just never know.

The Random Walk Hypothesis and the non-Random Walk Hypothesis can relate to Funny Books also. I stick to the “Blue Chip Books” and they will perform well in the long term. There may be periods of tremendous spikes and stagnant growth. Average minimum hold should be around four years to have any potential growth or returns.

The Random Walk Hypothesis and the non-Random Walk Hypothesis can relate to Funny Books also. I stick to the “Blue Chip Books” and they will perform well in the long term. There may be periods of tremendous spikes and stagnant growth. Average minimum hold should be around four years to have any potential growth or returns.

You can't go wrong with the GA "Big Six". A7, 10, 13 and Tec 29, 31, 33.

I'd love to have all 6 in a raw state. :cloud9:

You can't go wrong with the GA "Big Six". A7, 10, 13 and Tec 29, 31, 33.

I'd love to have all 6 in a raw state. :cloud9:

Having the "Big six" after the "Big two" would be very welcomed indeed. I say you should assemble all six and crack “em”. :)