• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

There is no right or wrong answer about blocking lowball bidders IMO.

On eBay I would respond to every offer that came through (unless I was traveling or at a show and didn't have an opportunity) even if it was to turn it down simply because I don't want someone else thinking that I'm the rude one.

Eventually I just set minimum offer prices and auto declined anything that was too low.

I agree that some people's low ball offers are ridiculous but they are free to offer. What people may not realize is that serial lowballers eventually develop reputations.

In much the same way that people recognize which dealers are good and and which are bad dealers, dealers recognize and talk amongst each other about buyers that are not ideal to deal with.

True.

But remember not all low balls stay low-I have sent a lowball shot many times-sometimes it gets accepted sometimes I end up meeting the price. Just a blanket statement 'all lowball offers are a waste of time' is a mistake, IMO.

No, I agree that not all lowballs stay low but if someone is a serial lowballer they get remembered and are not up on the priority list when dealing with them.

It's really a business transaction and good business gets bumped ahead of bad business every time.

Do any of you get any reasons why they are so low?

I usually try to send some kind of statistic when I start a haggle to justify my asking price. Not just "I want to pay this insanely low price".

I usually try to send some kind of statistic when I start a haggle to justify my asking price. Not just "I want to pay this insanely low price".

I've gotten statistics when I sell on the boards sometimes. Never on eBay, though.

Speaking of lowball buyers, I received an offer of $51 for an ASM 121 4.0... lol

Guy counter-offered again and said $61 is the highest he can go for a 4.0. I declined and blocked him.

why stop playing so soon? I would have kept countering.

Speaking of lowball buyers, I received an offer of $51 for an ASM 121 4.0... lol

Guy counter-offered again and said $61 is the highest he can go for a 4.0. I declined and blocked him.

There were only six minutes left in the auction.

That's because we aren't all the same.

:facepalm:

-slym (doesn't think kav will ever "get it")

I've gotten statistics when I sell on the boards sometimes. Never on eBay, though.

The boards I can understand…we usually have more knowledge than John Q. Comic Buyer. Plus some of us have access to GPA which helps weed out the unfair deals. But if I get a low off on ebay without a reason, I usually like to send them a message asking why it was so low. If they respond with "I don't want to pay that much", I usually walk away from the deal.

What is considered a "low ball offer" ?? if someone lists a book for ....Let's say $500 just for sake of a round number and it goes a day or two and they come back with "10% off" and the next day "20%" then they say "don't be afraid to make an offer"....what would be considered a LOW BALL offer? I do not want to offend anyone that is nice enough to sale at a discount to boardies, but I'd like to get the best price possible. There are several on here that have gained my respect for the knowledge they bring to the discussions and I would prefer to do business on here as much, if not more, than anywhere else. But I do not wish to get a reputation as a "spoon" buyer.