• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

I just want to know the lowest you would take to suggest a scenario for you, granted that I am one of those buyers that always start out with a low ball. If you dont just dismiss guys like me, you can make a good sale.

Let's say you would accept min of $750 for the book.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

I've done this and it works.

You have NOTHING to lose by haggling.

You have a sale to lose if you just dismiss guys like me.

Right?

I think the problem is that when a seller sees an initial lowball offer, then it's viewed as a waste of time even if it does (on occasion) work out.

Furthermore, if the price of the item is generally accepted to be around $800 on average, then offering $350 is really annoying.

Offer something at least on the lower end of the spectrum, say, $600. You'll most likely end up with a sale around $750 anyway, without the risk of a quick decline and/or block.

And about the aggressive pricing on Ebay... there's a flip-side to that. Sellers could have started listing higher prices with best offers BECAUSE of the lowball offers. But who really knows for sure?

And yes, sellers should always be courteous, even when annoyed.

Just my opinion on the subject. :)

why would I bother haggling on a book that routinely sells for $1000 when the buyer offers $300?

Simple cost benefit analysis. The cost of haggling could be 5 minutes. The benefit could be that he jumps up his offer to a number you're happy with.

This

Think Poker.

You have no idea where the other player's head is at.

Just cause he lowballs does NOT mean he won't meet your price.

It's called bluffing.

why would I bother haggling on a book that routinely sells for $1000 when the buyer offers $300?

Simple cost benefit analysis. The cost of haggling could be 5 minutes. The benefit could be that he jumps up his offer to a number you're happy with.

This

Though I am not a powerseller say a guy that does tons of transactions a day...you really think they have time for that?

This

Though I am not a powerseller say a guy that does tons of transactions a day...you really think they have time for that?

If they dont have time for that theyre smart enough to set up an auto accept at their lowest price.

If you have time obviously the best sales techniques are back and forth negotiations.

For a $1000 book I'd MAKE TIME.

This

If the seller is legitimately so inundated with offers that he doesn't have the time to respond then his business is functioning so well that it's time to hire an employee.

Also, there is an option to set an automatic rejection amount. Use that option so the buyer knows to make another offer. To manually reject an offer without a counter is bad business.

I just want to know the lowest you would take to suggest a scenario for you, granted that I am one of those buyers that always start out with a low ball. If you dont just dismiss guys like me, you can make a good sale.

Let's say you would accept min of $750 for the book.

Dude offers $350

You counter with 900

He counters with $500

You drop to $825

He counters with $750

BAM. You've made a sale.

I've done this and it works.

You have NOTHING to lose by haggling.

You have a sale to lose if you just dismiss guys like me.

Right?

I think the problem is that when a seller sees an initial lowball offer, then it's viewed as a waste of time even if it does (on occasion) work out.

Furthermore, if the price of the item is generally accepted to be around $800 on average, then offering $350 is really annoying.

Offer something at least on the lower end of the spectrum, say, $600. You'll most likely end up with a sale around $750 anyway, without the risk of a quick decline and/or block.

And about the aggressive pricing on Ebay... there's a flip-side to that. Sellers could have started listing higher prices with best offers BECAUSE of the lowball offers. But who really knows for sure?

And yes, sellers should always be courteous, even when annoyed.

Just my opinion on the subject. :)

This

This

If they dont have time for that theyre smart enough to set up an auto accept at their lowest price.

If you have time obviously the best sales techniques are back and forth negotiations.

Auto decline is the same as me just straight up declining. Which has often worked out in my favour. I decline your offer straight up says I am not playing games throw me a real offer not some 50% of the market value.

If I have hundreds of books I am sure I don't mind waiting on a "real" buyer to offer close to fair market value. Rather than go back and forth with a lowball time waster.

This

If the seller is legitimately so inundated with offers that he doesn't have the time to respond then his business is functioning so well that it's time to hire an employee.

Also, there is an option to set an automatic rejection amount. Use that option so the buyer knows to make another offer. To manually reject an offer without a counter is bad business.

This

I've been willing to pay full price but got insulted by dude not even bothering to bargain with me, a potential customer.

And I'm gone.

This

Auto decline is the same as me just straight up declining. Which has often worked out in my favour. I decline your offer straight up says I am not playing games throw me a real offer not some 50% of the market value.

If I have hundreds of books I am sure I don't mind waiting on a "real" buyer to offer close to fair market value. Rather than go back and forth with a lowball time waster.

'Real' buyers make lowballs, brah.....

I just sell how I buy. I'm not going to haggle all day with a seller to buy a book. It's either at or close to a price I'm willing to pay, or I can wait til another day.

If you're not willing to haggle on a $1000 book you're richer than me....

Think Poker.

It's called bluffing.

It's not really bluffing; rather, more like trying to feel the other person out. However, it really depends on the book. Is it in demand? Will it sell soon anyway?

Let's say it's a popular book, the average price is at the $800 level, and you offer $350. Even if the seller needs cash now, it's a quick decline and viewed as insulting.

On the other hand, if the listing has been up for weeks or months, then you have a better chance of getting a good deal with lower offers.

This

'Real' buyers make lowballs, brah.....

this and Gordon geccos greed speech, Mantras of the rich and selfish :cloud9:

Think Poker.

It's called bluffing.

It's not really bluffing; rather, more like trying to feel the other person out. However, it really depends on the book. Is it in demand? Will it sell soon anyway?

Let's say it's a popular book, the average price is at the $800 level, and you offer $350. Even if the seller needs cash now, it's a quick decline and viewed as insulting.

On the other hand, if the listing has been up for weeks or months, then you have a better chance of getting a good deal with lower offers.

Selling 101: NEVER dismiss a buyer out of hand.

We've all heard stories of the Lexus dealer who gave the bum the brush off only to find out he was an eccentric billionaire.

We've all heard stories of the Lexus dealer who gave the bum the brush off only to find out he was an eccentric billionaire.

Yeah. I worked at Nordstrom for years. Selling 101: You get 3 sales a year. Pay full price otherwise, or go to Macy's.

Think Poker.

It's called bluffing.

yeah, those guys, they don't spend it like they just stole it. They just don't, don't even waste your time with eccentric billionaires that look like bums.