• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALAMO CITY COMIC CON - SEPT. 26-28, 2014 (SAN ANTONIO, TX)

125 posts in this topic

For the locals, are Heroes & Fantasies or Dragon's Lair worth checking out (by this I mean do they have a decent back issue selection and reasonable pricing on them)? I mapped them out as possible stops on our way out of town on Sunday, but if they aren't worth it then I can save the trip(s).

Just got back from sneak peek night and it is looking very promising. More artist there than I thought there would be for the preview. Got there around 4:30 and it took about an 1.5 hours to get our passes to get in. This is the only negative. Though it took a while to get in the volunteers were pretty friendly and willing help out. We will see what the official opening day has in store. Can't wait.

Dragons lair has no back issues. Heroes and Fantasies is worth a stop by.

Thanks! We'll see how Sunday develops, we may end up checking H & F out.

They also have a spot at the con.

With a few cgc books and some key books.

I saw that they were listed as an exhibitor. I'm interested in some box diving, and am guessing they aren't hauling their entire stock to the show. I'll be sure to check their booth out to see their pricing.

We'll be on the road in about 7 hours! I just hope we can get to the show in time to pick up badges before close, and meet up with whoever is up for an adult beverage.

Anyone able to pick me up a TMNT #38 variant from Eastmans booth? I can't attend the show and am looking to add this to my collection.

Alright got some !!!......... Will shoot you a pm later if you havent got one from someone other by then.

We're here, but pretty exhausted. We got a quick walk around the floor right at 8ish. Just getting some dinner and then will crash and hit it hard tomorrow. Looks like a great show.

How big is it? Can you compare it to a Texas show so I can have an idea? Last year it was only one hall, but it was long.

We're here, but pretty exhausted. We got a quick walk around the floor right at 8ish. Just getting some dinner and then will crash and hit it hard tomorrow. Looks like a great show.

How big is it? Can you compare it to a Texas show so I can have an idea? Last year it was only one hall, but it was long.

It's a sizeable show. Looks like ~3 full ballrooms, including the space for artists and celebs. I'm certainly pleased to see how big it is!

Good show, tons of people. I found a couple of books, but ended up having to leave. I started getting sick last night and it hit me pretty hard today. I'll see if I can make it back this afternoon but I'm not holding my breath. Nothing like driving a 12 hour round trip to look at books for three hours...

It's a sizeable show. Looks like ~3 full ballrooms, including the space for artists and celebs. I'm certainly pleased to see how big it is!

Bigger than the May Dallas show. Decent amount of comics, lot and lots of comic con related material. Anime, posters, toys, ect....

I'm set up at the show with Weird Paper- regarding local comic stores, don't waste time or gas- the 3 local stores are at the con- Heroes and Fantasys probably has all their old stuff at the show- the owner of the chain is personally handling that part. He probably took all the stock he had at the Pat Booker location. same goes for Alien Worlds- he brought what he had. Dragon's Lair has no back issues to speak of- their strength is new comics, trades, and games. The only stores in Texas truly worth visiting are Mr. Bedrock in Houston of course, and Austin Books in Austin off Lamar. Austin Books is truly on another level when it comes to comics, and virtually every trade, HC, etc in print. Extensive back issue stock, average on high grade and slabs. They are one of the best retail efforts I've ever seen. Mind boggling selection of trades.

As for Alamo City Comic-con- this beats WW Austin, WW Dallas, Houston Con- I've not seen a room that packed (on Saturday) since San Diego the last time I was there in 2004. No where on that level, but if they work out the new con kinks, by year 5 it could be a monster, and make Wizard look like a has-been. Needs more out of state dealers, and if Mr. Bedrock made it down, that would enhance its comic cred, but I give a lot of credit to the more local dealers that really brought their A-game to this show. BubbaGump had a monster set up, and Duncanville has already established itself as an anchor comic dealer. Graham Cracker is an A-list dealer too of course, and there are a number of other local guys and usual suspects (Black Cat) that keep it fun and interesting.

Agree 100%. It's pretty impressive what they've managed to do in only it's second year. It was good World Wide finally set up locally and to see Graham Crackers send a representative down with some stock as well.

There were plenty of good books In the room between the local guys like Black Cat, Bubbagump. And Weird Paper, but hopefully next year even more comic dealers will turn out.

100,000 passed through the door.

If you guys don't mind, (and if you have facebook), there's this group created by artsits and vendors where they rate comic shows and say what was good and bad. Promoters are members too and they always reply, even photo op companies are there too to address complaints and stuff like that.

If you guys can, would love to see a vendor review there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195041610657542/

Agree 100%. It's pretty impressive what they've managed to do in only it's second year. It was good World Wide finally set up locally and to see Graham Crackers send a representative down with some stock as well.

There were plenty of good books In the room between the local guys like Black Cat, Bubbagump. And Weird Paper, but hopefully next year even more comic dealers will turn out.

I totally meant to include World Wide Comics on the list, and realized I'd left them off today when I was walking thru the dealer room this am, so thanks for catching my mistake! doh! (thumbs u

WW is now a local, so that has instantly elevated the game around here. Steve had more slabs than the rest of the Con combined.

I'd like to see this 100k attendance number officially released- it had a massive crowd, but it didn't feel THAT big- I did SD in the early 2000's and the crowds and traffic didn't seem to overwhelm the area like that did. I was thinking it was more in the 60-70k range tops. (shrug)