• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALAMO CITY COMIC CON - SEPT. 26-28, 2014 (SAN ANTONIO, TX)

125 posts in this topic

^^^^^

Agree, They needed to filter some questions for Stan Lee and the panel should have been a little longer imo. Signs pointing the way to different areas are a must. and a good idea.

I think many of their challenges will iron out if they hire logistic experts that know how to take advantage and implement AV technologies. I'm reading facebook posts about "keeping it real." In my opinion, ACCC is there for entertainment not education. Granted the education can be part of their marketing strategy but entertainment is the driver.

I'll go next year if I don't burn out at Houston's con.

-Rev

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195041610657542/

I've skimmed thru the comments on that Facebook page rating cons- and the vast majority of the person_without_enough_empathying is just that- person_without_enough_empathying.- and mostly from amateur artists who do the con circuit like its a damn arts and crafts fair, not a comic con- finger puppets is not an exaggeration, there was some truly ridiculous in "Artist" Alley.

I completely agree. I didn't recognize any of the names that complained, and honestly wouldn't care at all if they didn't show up next year.

I'm guessing the actual industry artists are too busy actually working on projects to go to this Facebook project and voice thoughts, but I hope Mike Zeck, Kevin Eastman, David Finch, Neal Adams, etc. all had a good show because I really want to see this con grow.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195041610657542/

I've skimmed thru the comments on that Facebook page rating cons- and the vast majority of the person_without_enough_empathying is just that- person_without_enough_empathying.- and mostly from amateur artists who do the con circuit like its a damn arts and crafts fair, not a comic con- finger puppets is not an exaggeration, there was some truly ridiculous in "Artist" Alley.

I completely agree. I didn't recognize any of the names that complained, and honestly wouldn't care at all if they didn't show up next year.

I'm guessing the actual industry artists are too busy actually working on projects to go to this Facebook project and voice thoughts, but I hope Mike Zeck, Kevin Eastman, David Finch, Neal Adams, etc. all had a good show because I really want to see this con grow.

I have to agree with this point. Most of the mainstream artists did have a great show. Neal seemed to be a little slow at times especially when I ran from point to point getting other things signed. Finch though was extremely busy with a full up commission list and I honestly don't remember a time when I was able to walk straight up to him.

Kevin Eastman had a really good show though. While working at his table I don't think anyone bought any of his original art pages but I do know he quick sketched quite a bit and gave a great show for everyone who attended Friday and Saturday and always needed someone to cap his line off for press or to attend forums. Biggest issues with him was disorganization on the shows fault. On Friday table setup was disorganized for him and no one seemed to be on hand to help in the beginning. Saturday was a good one with steady flow and high energy for him and hopefully with how he was treated he decides to come back as they really did try to go out of there way to ensure he was happy and covered. Maybe next time move him to a location like Stan Lee as we had to rig some odd ended line just to make sure fire exits weren't blocked.

As for the rest of the show.

I didn't have a chance to attend a single panel but then again I almost never do unless its in conjunction with a private signing.

Cosplay people seemed to stay in open areas and honestly appreciate that they did. Made running for signatures for everyone much easier. Norm Breyfogle was amazing and a really cool guy to just sit and chat with especially since he knew all I did was run back and forth. Just kind of reached out and said sit down for a sec... Additionally gave me one hell of a sketch on a Jam piece I have being built.

Tommy Castillo I would have to say didn't look like he had a busy show at all. I love his art and honestly would have maybe bought something from him had I not owned many of the prints he had for sale there. His Batjoker is amazing and a huge fan of his painted art.

Tom Nguyen seemed to always be busy with a commissioner sitting beside him and had one heck of an interesting conversation with him about an incident I had in Honduras when I was in the Army as apparently he is heading to South America for a Con in a few weeks.

Joe Benetiz seemed to be angry this whole weekend. I think he is just about Conned out for the year and didn't seem personable.

Philippine row as some called it... (Because they seemed to put them all together) always looked constantly busy and always seemed to be jammed packed to the point I would go out of my way not to walk through it.

The artists on the back row... I honestly had no idea they were even back there. I used that row simply to get from Stan Lee and back without having to traverse through heavy crowds. Those guys due to the way they hung up the curtain probably had some horrible sales as many like me had no idea they were back there.

Stephen Platt.... yeah, long story, none of it good.

The smaller more local style artists. Some did good, some didn't and honestly some you almost want to say oh that's nice and walk on. I never trash an artist... unless its Allred, and I hate him, but someone might want to look at portfolio's before giving the green light for an artist alley (boulevard) table.

Seller's ring - seemed constantly busy but didn't see much to any Original Art. I will say I really liked that Heroes and Fantasy's brought there A game. Multiple Con specific Variants, large inventory to flip through, and always a pleasure to deal with. I also have to say everyone with the used Transformers... I hate you guys... you blew my budget out of the water whenever my son walked by and saw one he didn't have. I think I now have 11 new ones to step on when I kiss him goodnight.

Celeb Closet - Yep, loved this... They shoved the Celebrities off into the corner and left them off on there own. A few divas but honestly used to it.

A lot of stories of disorganization, inability to get ahold of Apple the promoter, or that of no prior notice to anything until a day or two prior to attendance. I believe this one could serve better from delegation of authority. Leave Apple at the top but sector out a guy in charge of the other areas. One specific to Celeb's, A-List Creator's, Sellers, and Artist Alley... That way everyone isn't waiting on one guy to make a decision and waiting in line to get a hold of him.

Overall I had a great time but then again I was extremely fortunate for being able to work directly for one of my childhood icon's, but I can see a lot of the reason there were complaints.

Some have received there books that submitted through me for Fast Tracking. As for regular submissions I believe CGC is still in the mid September range for Moderns as the time line is up to 65 business day turn around. If you fast tracked you should be getting them right about now, but if not you are waiting another month or so before seeing those come out. Maybe Christmas presents in disguise?