• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superior - Mysteries #2 original art. Help?

9 posts in this topic

Hey, you guys. I've been a long time lurker on the boards. I absolutely love golden age, pre-code horror stuff, but it's pretty much all out of my price range. So I read what you guys post, and secretly envy your collections.

Recently, however, I saw a piece of original art on eBay that I couldn't pass up. It was the last page of a story that saw print in Mysteries #2, from Superior Comics.

mysteries-2-p7s.jpg

It was really a hell of a steal, and those last two panels alone are just incredible.

I got it pretty much solely because it was a nice example of pre-code horror art, without knowing anything at all about the title, publisher, artist... which are pretty much a blank slate. Basically, I know that Superior Comics published out of Canada, and that they used a lot of work from the Iger studio.

Can anyone help me identify the artist, writer, et cetera from this story? TTTTT says that Matt Baker and Jack Kamen did some work for them, but that by-and-large it was "standard Iger studio." I don't know if that means that all hope of ID is lost or what.

Man is that sweet or what?!!!

I check Grand Comics Database and all they have is that it is the first story - entitled SWAMP HORROR - and yes it is a 7-pager. But -script, Pencils, Inks, Colors and Letters are all question marked.

But you know? Just having this, one of the many comic book unsolved MYSTERIES wink.gif is a fine thing! It is a beautiful page and while the last two panels are indeed telling, actually EVERY panel on that page is just great!

Well done!

First of all, thank you guys for all the kind words. That's a warm welcome if I've ever seen one!

Now, THIS is interesting. I e-mailed Lawrence Watt-Evans, who is a bit of an expert on pre-code horror, and Superior Comics in particular. Here's what he had to say:

In the 1950s the Iger studio worked on an assembly-line basis -- one artist would do the faces, another the bodies, a third cars and buildings, a fourth backgrounds, handing the pages along. They did very solid work, though -- as you say, it's good-looking art. I don't think the page you have there (which I've seen before, and it's definitely Iger studio work) was by any one person; there were probably half a dozen people who worked on it, and I doubt you'll ever be able to identify them. Certainly I can't give you any names.