• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shops in Arizona

23 posts in this topic

Post a list of the ones you've been too and I'll see if I know of any that you may have missed. However, the best back issues in Arizona are not at a store, they are at Ed Robertsons storage unit. Send a PM to Robocard, you won't be disappointed.

Post a list of the ones you've been too and I'll see if I know of any that you may have missed. However, the best back issues in Arizona are not at a store, they are at Ed Robertsons storage unit. Send a PM to Robocard, you won't be disappointed.

Definitely agree with this. I will also say All About Comics has a very decent selection and their prices are good too. Here's a brief synopsis of ones i've been to.

These are just my opinions btw, so if soemone doesn't like or agree with what I say, whatever. Freedom of speech and all that.

All About Comics- Central & Camelback I go here for back issues if I'm not at Ed's. Staff is very helpful, and I like their prices. Also a very nice selection of statues and other merchandise.

Drawn to Comics- 59th Ave & Glendale. This is my regular shop. Staff is very friendly. On top of the moderns, OK selection of back issues but it's still growing. Better place for moderns, have a pull list, other merch too. Ken (owner) is awesome, didn't jack up prices on the 3d covers like most other places i heard of.

Samurai Comics- stay away unless you dont have a choice. Don't like it at all, wont even give locations. Just not welcoming to me. there's usually Magic games there if thets your thing though. DO NOT GO HERE

Mr. Fantastic's soemthing blah blah- Bell and 75th. The interior looks great. but they're just another Samurai, kinda worse. Guy was too busy flirting with his cashier to help customers. This place sucks.....a lot

Greg's Comics- Alma School in Mesa/Chandler area- nice store staff is very helpful. a bit cramped but I personally like it about the store. Decent selection of back issues. Owner is engaging with customers, would go more often but I live way too far to make it a regular place.

Dreadnought Comics- 35th Ave & Bell. New kids in town. Really like their display system, that's really cool. They're aiming for keys, more valuable back issues. Heard they will have moderns soon. Guys are knowledgeable enough. Pretty helpful. Prices are fair, not the best but about regular retail prices. Still early for a solid reputation but worth a check out.

Ed Robertsons- I won't disclose his location, like Mike mentioned, not a store but bar none best selection of back issues and higher end books. Ed's got great prices and will work with you.

Haven't been anywhere else. There's Ash Avenue Comics in Tempe but I don't know anything about it.

Dropped by one in Kingman about two years ago. Forget the name, but wasn't the least bit impressed. I met the owner at a so called show he put on and should have known better, but I was nearby and stopped in. Complete waste of time.

Ash Avenue in Tempe is a cool store that caters more to indy comic connoisseurs and has a nice graphic novel section.

Pop Culture Paradise is also in Tempe and is more of a traditional LCS, but does have a large MTG crowd. It's similar to Samurai (which I personally like), but as Stanley indicated, it too is a MTG haven. They do have 3 stores, tho.

All About Comics has probably the best all around selection as far as back issues, moderns, and graphic novels and is centrally located.

Gregs is my personal LCS since I live in the east valley and although it's a small space, just ask for a book and the owner will pop out of the back with what you're looking for. There are many discounts and deals to be had in this store.

Other stores not mentioned already: Jesse James Comics (Glendale), Gotham City Comics/coffee shop (Mesa).

I haven't been to Ed's storage unit, but he has an awesome selection during the locals cons and is a great all around guy.

Mike (Mike's Rack) is modest, but he too has a good selection and sells at cons and is fun to talk to.

(thumbs u. Thanks Hek. I gearing up to make my storage more user friendly so people can swing by and visit us both in one trip. I should also mention the Collector's Marketplace at 19th St and Indian School. They have a variety every week but also have a quarterly comics only show. The next one is Sunday may 5th. Last time I was there, I had some great scores and met a couple boardies.

There are also a few shops outside of the Phoenix area. I've never been to the one in Kingman, but there are two great shops in Tucson, but I can't remember their names. One Is right across from Bookman's on Grant, that's my favorite. Also, I hear talking of guys setting up booths at the Brass Armadillo antique malls.

All About Comics- 8/10, great selection of non-key issues across many titles and Gold-Bronze, staff is friendly, prices are average.

Drawn to Comics- 7/10, great staff, fun place to browse but mostly moderns, TPBs and collectibles.

Samurai Comics- 0/10, just not good.

Ed Robertson's- 10/10, Ed is tops, his selection is awesome and his prices are great! If you go anywhere, it should be to see Ed, bring money (you'll need it).

Ash Avenue Comics- 5/10, nice staff but mostly a magic and gaming store with very little selection.

Jesse James Comics - 3/10, Jesse spends most of his time bragging about how awesome he is or how flawed the CBPG is and his prices are fairly high. Supposed to be expanding, hopeful that will change the selection of pre-copper books.

(thumbs u. Thanks Hek. I gearing up to make my storage more user friendly so people can swing by and visit us both in one trip. I should also mention the Collector's Marketplace at 19th St and Indian School. They have a variety every week but also have a quarterly comics only show. The next one is Sunday may 5th. Last time I was there, I had some great scores and met a couple boardies.

There are also a few shops outside of the Phoenix area. I've never been to the one in Kingman, but there are two great shops in Tucson, but I can't remember their names. One Is right across from Bookman's on Grant, that's my favorite. Also, I hear talking of guys setting up booths at the Brass Armadillo antique malls.

Collector's Marketplace is at 20th Street and Indian School. They will be putting on another small show on Sunday May 4th that I will be bringing some nice books to. There will be other sellers with decent books as well.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words in the thread- they are all true :roflmao:

I have been adding to my display books in preparation for the June Phoenix Con- now if I can just hold on to them until then. I am fresh off a month long bout of Bronchitis but starting to roll again so anyone can feel free to hit me up for a visit.

Schedule it right and Mike and I can make it a double date. hm

Ed

Gotta check out Gotham! Totally forgot about Jesse James, I bough off ebay once and arranged to pick it up, but they sold it again, it kinda upset me....

Mike I've been wanting to check out your place for a while. You had my want list from a long while ago, LMK if I should resend it. Has a larger selection than just the book I recently contacted you about...

Gack! The secret's out!!

Gotta check out Gotham! Totally forgot about Jesse James, I bough off ebay once and arranged to pick it up, but they sold it again, it kinda upset me....

Mike I've been wanting to check out your place for a while. You had my want list from a long while ago, LMK if I should resend it. Has a larger selection than just the book I recently contacted you about...

You'd better resend it :blush: I'm starting to get ready for Phoenix Con so I'll be going through a bunch of stuff.

Gack! The secret's out!!

lol Ed's definitely not a secret in the Phoenix area!

Stanley - Gotham is meh ... Not really worth a special trip unless you are swinging by other LCS's in the area. They do have an X-box console set up in the back and they have a coffee shop in the store, so it's a little different than the norm.

Gack! The secret's out!!

Stanley - Gotham is meh ... Not really worth a special trip unless you are swinging by other LCS's in the area. They do have an X-box console set up in the back and they have a coffee shop in the store, so it's a little different than the norm.

I thought I was an "urban legend"? :gossip:

Ed

Gack! The secret's out!!

Ed

An urban legend in your own mind :insane:

Gack! The secret's out!!

Ed

Say his name 3 times and he shows up with a stack of high grade Silver Age Marvels......

Gack! The secret's out!!

Ed

Say his name 3 times and he shows up with a stack of high grade Silver Age Marvels......

Someone must have said my name three times because a new stack appeared over the week-end. :acclaim: