• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL TEAM-UP

46 posts in this topic

Marvel Team-up 23 was another favorite of mine, as veered away from the traditional Spider-man team-up in favor of a now-classic Human Torch - Iceman tilt.

It's also the first appearance of Equinox (a villain Claremont and Byrne brought back to MTU 59-60), and it is important for another reason - it has the old X-Men (in their final appearance?) telling Iceman to meet them for their "Secret Mission" (to Krakatoa) that provides the impetus for the New X-Men run in GS #1.

A fun little story with a lot of Marvel Mythos tossed in. How could a kid see this cover on the spinner rack and *not* pick it up.

Is this issue scarcer than others around it? Its the only one I need to complete the run and I can't find a decent one at a decent price over here and it's driving me :pullhair:

The early MTUs, in the 1-15 range, were always the mythical books for me growing up. I read the current issues and had some older passed-down copies in the 20's, but I could only imagine the wild and amazing stories that were told there, but all I could do was look up at the ceiling of the LCS and gasp at the outlandish prices.

When I finally completed a HG run of MTU 1-30, with lots of dupes, it was one of my favorite times in comic collecting. :cloud9:

MTU 26 is one of my favorite issues of the early series, as it was a pretty dark story (poor Molto!) with lots of references to past Marvel mags (and I'd always show my friends the missing wings on Thor's helmet), and I can remember looking for years at what became of those "laughing men" in the last panel.

I was the same the early MTUs and Marvel Two in One were my favorites back in the day :cloud9:

I live in the UK and what I didnt understand at the time was, MTU 1-23 & MTIO 1-11 ( I think) were ND ( Not Distributed in the UK) so for YEARS, I was all over searching for books that didnt exist in the UK, every dealer or collection I looked at was missing the same issues as me :cry:

When I finally got these books it was like striking gold, completing these runs was as satisfying as any other run I have done (and I have done em all), just because of the amount of effort I put into it.

These days you can just click on the interwebs and there they are :eyeroll:

Young collectors dont know the half of it :preach:lol

Marvel Team-up 23 was another favorite of mine, as veered away from the traditional Spider-man team-up in favor of a now-classic Human Torch - Iceman tilt.

It's also the first appearance of Equinox (a villain Claremont and Byrne brought back to MTU 59-60), and it is important for another reason - it has the old X-Men (in their final appearance?) telling Iceman to meet them for their "Secret Mission" (to Krakatoa) that provides the impetus for the New X-Men run in GS #1.

A fun little story with a lot of Marvel Mythos tossed in. How could a kid see this cover on the spinner rack and *not* pick it up.

Is this issue scarcer than others around it? Its the only one I need to complete the run and I can't find a decent one at a decent price over here and it's driving me :pullhair:

Just had a look at my dupes Neil, no joy bud, ND again, rare as hens teeth here lol

Mid grade book for a few bucks, easy in the US :insane:

Maybe they're being held in hopes that someone realizes the importance of the comic and its ties to the New X-Men?

And now that you mention it, I remember buying a really nice HG run of MTU 20-29 and it was missing MTU 23. hm

Another book I remember really liking was MTU 18, which I picked up because there was a reference to it in Inhumans #1. I remembered Blastaar from old issues of FF/MGC (he's a pretty tough customer - repeated blasts from his hands can break adamantium) and seeing the Inhumans flashback of Hulk wrapping him up in metal and tossing him in the drink was too much to resist.

300px-MarvelTeam-Up018.jpg

I always thought MTU 38 in high grade was a hard find. The census numbers don't seem to support me on that, when compared to a few other issues around it.

It might have been poorly distributed in areas, as I was a huge MTU fan then and I missed it between 33-37 and 39-78 or something. I remember having to find that as a back issue.

I wonder if this whole "Blastaar can break Adamantium" angle ever went anywhere else? Blastaar vs. Wolverine? vs Ultron? hm

doh! Good job, you just spoiled the villain for this summers "Death of Wolverine" event. :baiting:

But seriously, Blastaar damaging adamantium? And you complain about modern hacks. :facepalm:

MTU 101 I believe has a pretty forgettable Nighthawk/Spidey team-up, but what's interesting is its Ditko drawn Nighthawk back-up story (although I guess Ditko was still active at that point, so maybe not so surprising). I always enjoy little surprises like a back-up story. some other MTU issues had them as well.

I wonder if this whole "Blastaar can break Adamantium" angle ever went anywhere else? Blastaar vs. Wolverine? vs Ultron? hm

doh! Good job, you just spoiled the villain for this summers "Death of Wolverine" event. :baiting:

But seriously, Blastaar damaging adamantium? And you complain about modern hacks. :facepalm:

blastaar used to be a big villian in the marvel universe. x-men 53 even used to get listed as 1st blastaar in addition to first BWS work. i guess they decided he was too one dimensional.