• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book Inkers - They really DO make a difference!

189 posts in this topic

I've never seen this discussed, but has anyone ever noticed the disparity of work inkers have contributed? They mesh well with some pencillers, but horribly with others.

Joe Sinnott was without question the BEST inker of the SA, as he finished Kirby's work, but his Starlin finishes were horrible IMO. Starlin did well with Green, Milgrom and even Janson, but Jack Abel destroyed his pencils as well.

John Romita Jr.'s best work was on Iron Man with Layton finishing, but with other inkers, his stuff wasn't the greatest.

Byrne did well with Austin and McLeod, but Jerry Ordway didn't compliment him well.

Anyone else have any opinions/examples?

:popcorn:

Sinnott on Kirby

Romita Sr. inking himself

(though I loved that short period of time when Jim Mooney was inking Romita Sr.'s work and the John Buscema fill in issues... ASM (#67-82?)

I also liked Romita's inks on other artists' work, though it might over power it in some instances...

Tom Palmer on anyone's art....

Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt when they both inked Ross Andru's ASM...

Milgrom on Starlin's work...

John Severin on Herb Trimpe's work....

:cloud9:

No Meek inkers are definitely not mere tracers......it's hard work inking......

Sinnott on Kirby

(though I loved that short period of time when Jim Mooney was inking Romita Sr.'s work and the John Buscema fill in issues... ASM (#67-82?)

I also liked Romita's inks on other artists' work, though it might over power it in some instances...

Palmer was particularly stellar on Adams' work. I believe his technique paved the way for Bob Layton, who took his style of shading and effects to another level

I also liked the team of Barry Smith and Sal Buscema

Sinnott on Kirby

This x1000. Palmer's inks look incredible regardless of the artist (thumbs u

So let me get this straight.

Someone draws a picture in pencil and then this "inker" goes over their drawing in pen. How's this not tracing? :grin:

Someone draws a picture in pencil and then this "inker" goes over their drawing in pen. How's this not tracing? :grin:

If neal adams draws something and you go over it with inks it will look like hell. Inking isn't mere tracing-otherwise every inker would look exactly the same.

If neal adams draws something and you go over it with inks it will look like hell. Inking isn't mere tracing-otherwise every inker would look exactly the same.

Tracer_zpse26604b9.jpg

lat year (i think) Jim Lee pencilled a Batman image and a few inkers had a go at finishing it in their own styles

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/15/travis-charest-frank-cho-ink-jim-lee-at-big-wow/

link

You can definitely see how each inker changes the feel of the pencils, e.g. Sayger makes the pencils his own and would probably affect the story attached to the page, making it darker.

Anyone here who has actually inked-or even watched a pro ink-knows what I'm talking about. Inking is harder than penciling-much harder. Pencils can be a little wishy-washy-there's no margin for error on inks.