• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Superman/Batman 1 RRP

30 posts in this topic

When it comes to the sig series I think that it depends on who signed the book. The broader the fan base of the signer the more sought after the book may be. 10 years ago (if CGC and the sig series had existed) a sig series CGC 9.6 Rob Liefeld X-Force 1 would have been a pretty big book. Now, on the other hand, you might have problems recovering the initial grading fees. Another factor is that some collectors may prefer to get sigs themselves, and not through someone else submitting signed books in bulk.

I agree with Chrisco, there are a great deal of collectors who do not like writing on their books, so with the sig series you are eliminating a part of the future market of the book.

Who has an opinion on signing on the slab? I'm not sure if I like it or not, it has its pros and cons. Opinions?

My 100 Bullets #1 is signed on the slab. I have no problem with it. I should've got my other copy slabbed Sig Series though. foreheadslap.gif

Plus, if you end up not liking it, I'm sure it's pretty easy to remove. Wouldn't rubbing alcohol take it right off?

Another factor is that some collectors may prefer to get sigs themselves, and not through someone else submitting signed books in bulk.

As long as the person is able to snag a CGC witness before the book gets signed to witness the sig they can get their own book done at the convention and submit it directly to CGC for grading (in Sarasota, or if early enough at the con if there is on-site grading).

There are two types of Signature Series collectors - the ones who want their own books signed and graded/encapsulated (they get it signed with a witness or are willing to let Paradise do the legwork), and those that prefer to obtain already signed, graded and encapsulated books (after all of the work has been done).

893naughty-thumb.gif Maybe we should have Chromium post that pic of you using it as a coaster for your six pack of Piels?

I've known Chris for quite a while, and the only time I have ever seen him with a six pack is on the last leg of him finishing off a case.

sumo.gif

Just wondering, is a Superman/Batman 1 RRP Universal 9.8 better or a Signature Series 9.6 better? I guess "better" as in more highly regarded... Pls let me know what you guys think, thx!

I want this book also but I would rather buy it in a 9.4 than a 9.8 signed tongue.gif I don't have a huge problem with signed books but I get picky on who signs them. On the other hand I would buy that sign RRP Batman/Supperman if I got it way cheaper than a non signed one insane.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif Maybe we should have Chromium post that pic of you using it as a coaster for your six pack of Piels?

I've known Chris for quite a while, and the only time I have ever seen him with a six pack is on the last leg of him finishing off a case.

sumo.gif

Thank you for defending my honor. thumbsup2.gif

And they say chivalry is dead.

The 9.6 is signed by jeph loeb and goes around 350 bucks... not sure how much the 9.8 is for now...

Jeph Loeb has proven to be a very good, very solid writer. Now, just to play devil's advocate, what if you had to decide between a regular 9.8 copy and a 9.8 SS copy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what if you had to decide between a regular 9.8 copy and a 9.8 SS copy?

It would be tempting to buy the 9.8 SS just because the signature(s) would be one more thing to set it apart form the other 9.8's. (Note: I haven't bothered to check the census on this one so...) In reality, I would base my decision on price as a SS slab with signatures from Loeb and/or McGuinness is not terribly hard to come by. Especially since they both can be seen at cons which means I could do it all myself instead of paying someone else for doing it. If the RRP was a must have for me, then I would buy the cheaper of the two.

In reality, I would base my decision on price as a SS slab with signatures from Loeb and/or McGuinness is not terribly hard to come by.

Actually, it's not as easy as you may think. Getting one or the other is fairly do-able, but getting both can be challenge to an impossibility. Remember that CGC will not validate books that are signed at multiple locations which can make a dual or triple signed book that much more difficult to come by.

Especially since they both can be seen at cons which means I could do it all myself instead of paying someone else for doing it

A win-win situation would be to line up for the autographs yourself and when you're about 5 minutes away from the autograph, send a friend to the CGC booth to grab a witness. This way, you get to experience meeting the artist/writer as well as walking away (3 months later, I mean) with your own hand-picked and CGC Signature Series certified book.

Remember that CGC will not validate books that are signed at multiple locations which can make a dual or triple signed book that much more difficult to come by.

Aside from a couple of Wizard shows, and maybe San Diego, it's pretty rare to have the writer and the artist for a book at the same convention.

Loeb & McGuinness live on opposite coasts (Ed in the Boston area, Jeph is - I believe - in the Los Angeles area) so it's not that common for them to be at a show together.