• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: The Bryan Singer X-men kerfuffle

Will the Bryan Singer kerfuffle affect your desire to see the new X-men film?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bryan Singer kerfuffle affect your desire to see the new X-men film?

38 posts in this topic

Few people would want to sit thru a word for word reproduction of any source material.

I think people tend to ignore how dated the dialogue of cherished stories will sound to a modern audience. I mean, I love Chris Claremont, but I think half of the audience would walk out if you utilized his expositional storytelling style in a film. Things have to be updated to make it work. And with those updates come changes to make the visuals work.

The only film I have seen that didn't need this was Sin City, and that's because it was written to sound like a Spillane novel - and even then, plenty of people didn't get that aspect of it (who weren't familiar with the work).

I feel bummed for comic fans who can't enjoy a film because they feel too many liberties were taken with the source material. They have great films and crappy films - all my friends see them, and we have fun critiquing them when we get together. For me, it goes past the movie, and half of the enjoyment comes in sharing discussions with others who enjoyed it as well (or hated it).

Few people would want to sit thru a word for word reproduction of any source material.

I think people tend to ignore how dated the dialogue of cherished stories will sound to a modern audience. I mean, I love Chris Claremont, but I think half of the audience would walk out if you utilized his expositional storytelling style in a film. Things have to be updated to make it work. And with those updates come changes to make the visuals work.

The only film I have seen that didn't need this was Sin City, and that's because it was written to sound like a Spillane novel - and even then, plenty of people didn't get that aspect of it (who weren't familiar with the work).

I feel bummed for comic fans who can't enjoy a film because they feel too many liberties were taken with the source material. They have great films and crappy films - all my friends see them, and we have fun critiquing them when we get together. For me, it goes past the movie, and half of the enjoyment comes in sharing discussions with others who enjoyed it as well (or hated it).

I always thought it would have been funny to have a line for line Silver Surfer movie from the original series. So many sixties style monologues and angst with political untertones and commentary.

it was special and entertaining at the time, and maybe even somewhat clever, but people would be setting themselves on fire if they were forced to watch that in the theatre now.

Don't be. I certainly don't dissuade others from enjoying the movie. But if I were the creator of the source material, I would never let anyone make it unless I was given production control.

If someone were to novelize Star Wars (not that it hasn't been done already) and Luke Skywalker was revealed to not be Leia's brother after all (say, because the writer thought their kiss was "way icky"), thus changing a major thematic element of the story, would you be able to ignore it?

If someone wrote a book about, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and in it, Indy fires that rocket, thus blowing up the ark...would you think that was perfectly acceptable?

What if Dorothy from Kansas was really a nasty person_without_enough_empathy?

What if Aladdin raped Jasmine?

What if Rudy never made the team?

Would it be a good story? Maybe. Would it be the SAME story? No. And if you can't create the same story...and let's not be silly and say "oh, you mean word for word??"...but the same story, without changing anything....just tell your OWN story.

After all...it's not like you can't use characters from others that have gone before, in wholly original work...just stay true to that character and his/her motives, intent, goals, etc.

It's not that hard.

Would it be a good story? Maybe. Would it be the SAME story? No. And if you can't create the same story...and let's not be silly and say "oh, you mean word for word??"...but the same story, without changing anything....just tell your OWN story

+1,000,000

See : Fantastic Four.

Marvel needs to get the rights back to them more than any other property.

Peace,

Chip

Take Faramir, for instance.

In the book, Tolkien made one of his most important thematic statements in the characters of Boromir, Faramir, and their interactions with their father, Denethor. Beautifully woven into the story, it played a central role in the quest....that being: "what makes a hero? Is it strength of will, power, might? Or is it integrity, honor, and loyalty?"

In changing both Faramir's actions and motivations, Peter Jackson destroyed one of the pillars of Tolkien's work. Just completely obliterated it.

My disdain for what Peter Jackson did knows few limits.

:mad:

100s of people work on these movies. It's not his project alone.

+1

Even if it isn't played out the same as in the comic books, I'm still interested in seeing one of the best X-Men stories on screen. I've always found the director's work to feel quite cold and sterile, and Singer's presence wasn't that much of a plus for me to begin with.

Interesting!

Bryan Singer Sexual Abuse Case Falls Apart

--------------------------

It now emerges that the lawyers representing the claimant, Jeff Herman and Mark Gallagher, have filed a court motion saying they no longer want to be involved with their client - essentially asking to withdraw from the case saying their relationship with Mr Egan has "broken down completely and cannot be repaired".

Mr Egan had wanted to settle out of court which, Mr Singer's lawyer argued showed a "lack of confidence in their chances for success" - which seems to have some merit now given that Mr Egan's legal team are distancing themselves from him. Egan had previously filed similar suits against other figures in Hollywood, all of which were unsuccessful.

How do you like that?

In the book, Tolkien made one of his most important thematic statements in the characters of Boromir, Faramir, and their interactions with their father, Denethor. Beautifully woven into the story, it played a central role in the quest....that being: "what makes a hero? Is it strength of will, power, might? Or is it integrity, honor, and loyalty?"

In changing both Faramir's actions and motivations, Peter Jackson destroyed one of the pillars of Tolkien's work. Just completely obliterated it.

+1

+2

I just re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings for the first time since 1969.

Since it had been so long, I was surprised at what Jackson left out or changed.

The Faramir and Denethor changes, the scouring of the Shire with Sauruman's betrayal of Treebeard's mercy, and Merry and Pippin being treated almost purely as comic relief come to mind.

Interesting!

Bryan Singer Sexual Abuse Case Falls Apart

It now emerges that the lawyers representing the claimant, Jeff Herman and Mark Gallagher, have filed a court motion saying they no longer want to be involved with their client - essentially asking to withdraw from the case saying their relationship with Mr Egan has "broken down completely and cannot be repaired".

Mr Egan had wanted to settle out of court which, Mr Singer's lawyer argued showed a "lack of confidence in their chances for success" - which seems to have some merit now given that Mr Egan's legal team are distancing themselves from him. Egan had previously filed similar suits against other figures in Hollywood, all of which were unsuccessful.

How do you like that?

Doesn't seem to be getting as much traction as the original headline. Wonder why? :jokealert:

His lawyers fired him. Then his replacement lawyers fired him.

unable to find a new lawyer in a case against a super rich Hollywood dude?

RIIIIGGGHHHT.

Don't be. I certainly don't dissuade others from enjoying the movie. But if I were the creator of the source material, I would never let anyone make it unless I was given production control.

If someone were to novelize Star Wars (not that it hasn't been done already) and Luke Skywalker was revealed to not be Leia's brother after all (say, because the writer thought their kiss was "way icky"), thus changing a major thematic element of the story, would you be able to ignore it?

If someone wrote a book about, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and in it, Indy fires that rocket, thus blowing up the ark...would you think that was perfectly acceptable?

Would it be a good story? Maybe. Would it be the SAME story? No. And if you can't create the same story...and let's not be silly and say "oh, you mean word for word??"...but the same story, without changing anything....just tell your OWN story.

After all...it's not like you can't use characters from others that have gone before, in wholly original work...just stay true to that character and his/her motives, intent, goals, etc.

It's not that hard.

Where have you been all my life? :cloud9:

It's not that hard.

Where have you been all my life? :cloud9:

maybe you two should 'rewrite your story' together