• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought 119 long boxes

130 posts in this topic

Man, that is a sweet collection. The thing is, when the guy was buying this stuff, it was probably dirt cheap. It's only recently taken off for alot of what you've shown.

I bought a Silver Age collection last month of about 40 long boxes and most of it needed to get rebagged and/or boarded. I ended up selling it to a dealer in one swoop. Yeah, I could have done better if I pieced it out. It would have taken ALOT of work, plus there would have been about 2/3 of it that I would be lining my coffin with..it would never have sold. -

Then I bought another collection two weeks later of 30 long boxes...I cherry picked about 2 long boxes worth, sold the rest to a wholesale place for $30 a box...Then when I immediately left this place, feeling a whole lot lighter, I shot over a buddy's place and ended up buying his collection (after I swore to my wife I wouldn't) of another 32 long boxes...The stuff was too good to pass up.

It's a vicicous cycle and I have all new respect for people that do this for a living. I thought it would be fun and cool to buy a collection or two....What I find is that it's cutthroat. You have to be first to a collection and be ready to pounce on it. If you hesitate, you lose out to the next guy.....

Then add in the work involved in putting it into order (they rarely are), the time and money to rebag and reboard...then coming up with pricing that isn't leaving money on the table, but still priced to sell....

I can appreciate you guys that are like "Oh, I would love to find a collection",,,but there is another side to it that I only recently came to realize.

I can appreciate you guys that are like "Oh, I would love to find a collection",,,but there is another side to it that I only recently came to realize.

No offense, but processing an entire collection of 30 boxes is a lot of work. Picking out the best stuff and flushing the rest to a dealer like you did is every collector's dream.

that is a mammoth undertaking. i remember a few years back on here metropolis was looking to unload 25-30 longies of copper at a nice price and it would have been a nice easy local pick-up but i passed as even that seemed like too much. hindsight being 20/20 i regret not jumping on that as I suspect there were a lot of books in there that were considered drek 10 years ago that have exploded since then.

119 boxes would kill me, particularly as I would need to drag them each up 3 flights of stairs into my comic room. right after 119 i would have a massive heart attack. and then the floor would collapse under the weight of all those boxes of comics and kill my family underneath.

i'm not saying i wouldn't figure out a way to make it happen if i could be getting decent stuff at $20 a longie or whatever, i'm just saying i would probably be dead.

i don't want them to grow up too fast, but in another 5 years my oldest will be 13 1/2, probably taller than me and, hopefully, able to carry some longies around! actually he picked up his first long box when he was 4 when he decided to drag one around at Roger's Time Machine as he was searching for Richie Rich, Donald Duck and Casper comics in the kids section there. the toddler is looking like he'll be a bull, so maybe he'll be able to carry two at once. the kid already has super human strength.

that is a mammoth undertaking. i remember a few years back on here metropolis was looking to unload 25-30 longies of copper at a nice price and it would have been a nice easy local pick-up but i passed as even that seemed like too much. hindsight being 20/20 i regret not jumping on that as I suspect there were a lot of books in there that were considered drek 10 years ago that have exploded since then.

119 boxes would kill me, particularly as I would need to drag them each up 3 flights of stairs into my comic room. right after 119 i would have a massive heart attack. and then the floor would collapse under the weight of all those boxes of comics and kill my family underneath.

i'm not saying i wouldn't figure out a way to make it happen if i could be getting decent stuff at $20 a longie or whatever, i'm just saying i would probably be dead.

i don't want them to grow up too fast, but in another 5 years my oldest will be 13 1/2, probably taller than me and, hopefully, able to carry some longies around! actually he picked up his first long box when he was 4 when he decided to drag one around at Roger's Time Machine as he was searching for Richie Rich, Donald Duck and Casper comics in the kids section there. the toddler is looking like he'll be a bull, so maybe he'll be able to carry two at once. the kid already has super human strength.

Sounds like there may be a future child labor issue... :o

Now there's a happy ending.

Man I am not sure I could deal with a 120 long boxes. What I would have done is buy 2 heavy duty tables and got a small storage shed at a facility and sorted them off site no way in hell would I bring all those into the house. Pare it down to keeper boxes the figure out how to move the drek.

GL

Went through this small box and pulled these out. Will add more tomorrow.

DSCF3341_zpsdec53e38.jpg

Always odd when there is a book from 2008 in that mix of GA/SA/BA

Because it was store stock. I get the occasional call, "my grandfather's/dead husband/dead fathers collection". So your dad/grandfather/husband liked NYX/Amalgam/crossgen/etc so much he has 4 copies of number 8, 5 copies of 9 and he stopped collecting 30 years ago? Crazy.

[font:Book Antiqua]

Processing 119 Long boxes will be a walk in the park

compared with this room...[/font]

:insane:

081512unsorted.jpg

What in the world is that pic from?

I'm going to guess the '90s....

(kidding)