• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first DC/Marvel Key.

62 posts in this topic

I remember spending $350 for a raw Hulk #181 and feeling sick to my stomach for spending that much on a comic book. It graded a CGC 6.0 and was a very nice copy. Thousands of dollars later I have a collection I'm proud of... But I still wonder what the hell I'm doing sometimes

I remember spending $350 for a raw Hulk #181 and feeling sick to my stomach for spending that much on a comic book. It graded a CGC 6.0 and was a very nice copy. Thousands of dollars later I have a collection I'm proud of... But I still wonder what the hell I'm doing sometimes

Mine was a raw copy I got for $225 that ended up being a 5.5.

You guys are some youngins,10 years old in the 90's. :eek:

I remember my first big purchase though.I bought the AF 15 I still currently have(5.0ish)grade in 1982-83 for 500.00.I saved for that sheit a long time,but I couldn't stop smiling for a month.Heck I'm even happier now that I still after all these years never sold it. :cloud9:

Even if i didn't know it at the time :

Marvel : Captain America 110 in 1984. Still got the book, solid NM-. What I paid(or Mom paid lol) I forget.

DC: Detective #400 Man-Bat. Roughly the same time frame, 83/84. Sold the book in what I guess was F/VF in 1990.

For fun:

Dell : Tarzan #54. Last Lex Barker photo cover. Mid 80's. Still got it, rough G/VG but wouldn't turn it loose for anything :applause:

The first key I bought with MY OWN money: Amazing Spider-Man #300, raw. I was around 14 (bought it in early 90's). I had it for the longest time and eventually got it graded (9.2) and sold it...I upgraded to a nice 9.6 :headbang:

As for DC, I was never a DC guy and this is not really a "key" but I would have to say I was overjoyed when my Dad gave me a copy of the Death of Superman (regular version) and black polybagged version - I still have both of those. :)

...First DC key I actually bought for MYSELF that was not part of a collection I acquired and decided to keep...House of Secrets #92...1st Swamp Thing - I don't "have it" just yet though but it is almost paid off. I could get it now but the retailer is letting me chip at it. (thumbs u

Hulk 181 (NM...+?) bought for $5 from a small comic shop (and my 1st) in San Bruno many, many years ago for my B-Day... Just liked the cover I guess.

Who'd have thought it would be that big. Sold it years later for like $30 in trade with comic dealer (young dumb and...). I remember him quickly flipping through an Overstreet Guide (what's that?) ... mmhmm ..mmhmmm and also I had others in a stack, some uncanny x-men and Daredevil 158 (when it was really hot).... give you $30 in trade (sucka).... I was like OMG I can buy 100 comics now. And filled up my paper route bag and rode it home like 6 miles in the worst storm in years.

You guys are some youngins,10 years old in the 90's. :eek:

I remember my first big purchase though.I bought the AF 15 I still currently have(5.0ish)grade in 1982-83 for 500.00.I saved for that sheit a long time,but I couldn't stop smiling for a month.Heck I'm even happier now that I still after all these years never sold it. :cloud9:

Nice. (thumbs u

One of the first back issues I ever got was Avengers #4. This was in 1986. I don't think I knew the significance of the issue, I just wanted the oldest issue of Avengers they had. It was $12.50. When I got home and tried to read it, I discovered the bottom half of the spine was ravaged. So with my dad's help, I did the only rational thing - I used rubber cement to glue the spine to the book.

Still holding strong today!

SCAN0034.jpg

New Mutants 98.

I was in middle school about 15 years ago and went to a comic store with only about $2 and change in my pocket and NM 98 was the only book that cheap, so I got it. Years later I found it sitting in a box of mine, surprised to see the $2 price tag still on it.

I got two keys on the same day:

ASM 14 (1st Green Goblin)

Daredevil #1

Got them both at Million Year Picnic in Cambridge around 1983. Long gone now.

When settling my parents' estate a few years later I got an Action 1 around VG with no resto. Dang wish I still had it as it has gone up exponentially in that grade!

The first comic book I ever bought was ASM 300 for $5. It instantly hooked me with comics and was a key at the same time.

One of the first back issues I ever got was Avengers #4. This was in 1986. I don't think I knew the significance of the issue, I just wanted the oldest issue of Avengers they had. It was $12.50. When I got home and tried to read it, I discovered the bottom half of the spine was ravaged. So with my dad's help, I did the only rational thing - I used rubber cement to glue the spine to the book.

Still holding strong today!

SCAN0034.jpg

This made me smile.

(shrug) why. I guess I still have a bunch of ASM books I've had since I was a kid and they all are special to me and are worth more to me than a 9.8 slabbed version of the same book.

I had lots of Marvel & DC keys before they were keys, Amazing Spiderman was the first major title I completed and that was in the 1980s, so probably any of those.

I aquired # 4 - 100+ in one go, that was a hell of a day :acclaim:

I had lots of Marvel & DC keys before they were keys, Amazing Spiderman was the first major title I completed and that was in the 1980s, so probably any of those.

I aquired # 4 - 100+ in one go, that was a hell of a day :acclaim:

Me too.

It was great buying books 'cause you wanted them, not 'cause they were keys.