• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM # 238 Tatooz question

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently sent in a batch of books for grading.

One of the books was a high grade copy of ASM 238.

The book included the Tatooz but it was detached when I sent the book in.

When I got the books back, there was a plastic bag containing the Tatooz and a note to keep it with the serial number (ending in 31).

The plastic bag containing the tatooz was iwith a different book (serial number ending in 13) inside the bag surrounding the slab.

The ASM 238 was graded 9.6 with a green label with the qualification "Tatooz missing".

While it is clear that someone made a mistake in keeping the Tatooz insert with the wrong book I am not sure if it would have made any difference.

Please help me to understand the following?

1. If the Tatooz had been kept with the book is there any way that I would have gotten a high grade with a blue label?

2. If the book came back with a green label indicating that the Tatooz was detached (instead of missing) would it be any more valuable that a green label with the Tatooz missing?

Thanks in advance.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=5754062&Searchpage=1&Main=245449&Words=glasses&topic=0&Search=true#Post5754062

If some extra accessory was originally bound with the book (e.g. 3-D glasses), but is now detached, we cannot encapsulate it with the book, as anything free-floating in the holder with the book may potentionally damage the book.

Therefore, even if the accessory is physically present, we have no option but to leave it out of the holder and give the book a green label "INCOMPLETE" designation.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=5754062&Searchpage=1&Main=245449&Words=glasses&topic=0&Search=true#Post5754062

If some extra accessory was originally bound with the book (e.g. 3-D glasses), but is now detached, we cannot encapsulate it with the book, as anything free-floating in the holder with the book may potentionally damage the book.

Therefore, even if the accessory is physically present, we have no option but to leave it out of the holder and give the book a green label "INCOMPLETE" designation.

Thank you for the feedback.

So it seems a blue label would have been out of the question.

Should the green lahel have read Tatooz detached instead of Tatooz missing?

If so, would that have any impact on the fair market value of the book?

Sorry…I misread. For some reason I thought it said that the Tatooz were barely attached to the comic and it fell off at CGC and they sent it back separately.

In that case, yes, I would crack it open and reattach since that was the way it was sent in.

But if the Tatooz were completely detached before submitting, then they should stay detached.

I'd crack that slab, reattach the Tatooz and resubmit it.

Yeah, disassembling, reattaching the insert and then reassembling the comic sounds extremely ethical.

Ethics aside, doing so without damaging a NM+ comic would be a neat trick.

Sorry…I misread. For some reason I thought it said that the Tatooz were barely attached to the comic and it fell off at CGC and they sent it back separately.

In that case, yes, I would crack it open and reattach since that was the way it was sent in.

But if the Tatooz were completely detached before submitting, then they should stay detached.

Either way you're looking at taking the book apart to reattach the tattooz that were obviously taken from another book (like the FF).

Yeah, disassembling, reattaching the insert and then reassembling the comic sounds extremely ethical.

Ethics aside, doing so without damaging a NM+ comic would be a neat rick.

Apparently people do it, although the most common scam is to rip the tattooz out of the FF comic, and then just toss the loose insert inside the ASM and sell it ASAP.

"Does it have the Tattooz?"

"Yep, they're right inside the book, check 'em out"

They are usually held in by one of the staples. You would need to remove the staple and pages in order to get them back in properly.

And bending the staple would be detectable because you cannot bend them back without making that little dip in the staple.

Ethics aside, doing so without damaging a NM+ comic would be a neat rick.

Apparently people do it, although the most common scam is to rip the tattooz out of the FF comic, and then just toss the loose insert inside the ASM and sell it ASAP.

"Does it have the Tattooz?"

"Yep, they're right inside the book, check 'em out"

Of course, If CGC takes the loose Tatooz out before slabbing it would defeat the purpose of the switcheroo if you had planned on grading the book.

And bending the staple would be detectable because you cannot bend them back without making that little dip in the staple.

Thus losing the 9.6 grade.

Of course, If CGC takes the loose Tatooz out before slabbing it would defeat the purpose of the switcheroo if you had planned on grading the book.

Exactly my point, which is why the dealer sells it raw to a feeb, rather than getting it GLOD graded himself.

They are usually held in by one of the staples. You would need to remove the staple and pages in order to get them back in properly.

Which, for a pro, is not rocket science. :)