• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the pros/cons of getting a modern slabbed?

39 posts in this topic

I'm still relatively new to collecting comics. I mostly collect moderns (mostly to read) so I'm curious what others see as the pros and cons of slabbing modern books or buying HG slabbed moderns. I've been wanting to buy some issues that mean a lot to me, but I'm also thinking that might be throwing away money. So I'd like to hear all the arguments for and against so I can have a game plan in place.

I'm only slightly interested in slabbing moderns, and its strictly for ASMs in high number because I'm a fan. But, that said, I do feel a bit that its a waste of cash. Lots of these books will be worth no more than cover and slabbing doesn't really change that. Many of the slabbed moderns go for $19.99ish or so. For that I recently bought a ASM 179 in 9.2 W. For the slabbing price I grabbed a book that goes for near $20 unslabbed. I'd rather spend my $20 on those sorts of books.

I can only think of three reasons to slab a modern: 1) to sell it 2) for the Signature Series and 3) to participate in the registry.

I have several moderns that I am partial to that I have not slabbed. I think they may have a shot at 9.9 or, dare I say it, 10. I have not submitted them because I have no intentions of selling them. I am sorely tempted to do it just to see if I can get the aforementioned 9.9 or 10 slab into my collection. The problem is I would be collecting the label and not the comic. That is a trap I want to avoid!

The registry can be fun if you are into it. There are a couple modern sets up such as USM, UFF, Origin, Wolverine LS, DKR and Superman/Batman. That would be a way to justify owning slabbed moderns. Also keep in mind that CGC has promised that the Registry will continue to grow and they are doing their best to keep all collectors in mind when adding sets. This means GA, SA, BA and Modern collectors.

DKB makes a very good point about how the money spent on a modern slab can turned to buying older semi-key or key issues raw.

As a side note I do own 2 slabs of recent comics. Why? I don't know. I just like them.

SB8cgc.jpg

I've been thinking of picking up some #1s of my favorite titles just because. I don't have a desire to sell, but I do like the idea of owning a 9.8 of some of my favorite issues.

But as stated, that $20+ could be spent elsewhere. Oh hum, so many comics, so little time.

Pros would be protection, resale value, and the ability to participate in the registry.

Cons would be price, time out of hand, risks for damage, and lack of resale value if they don't get a high enough grade.

But I think the key is the registry. I've been a participant in the PSA sportscard grading registry for a few years and can tell you that outrageous prices on slabbed comics today will be the good old days if the registry really takes off. There are loads of modern sets I'd love to have a HG registry entry for. All those mini-series and rebooted series that we love to talk about. 9.8 sets of Powers, Mage, Crisis, Dark Knight, Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, Cerebus? Dreamy.

I am still on the fence with the protection aspect of slabs. No doubt a case is sturdier than a bag and board but how often do people fondle their moderns? (excluding Darth)

I have tried to rationalize my way into slabbing my books for protection purposes but it seems to me bags and boards do just fine. I could be wrong though. Especially given my girlfriends total disregard for the condition of my comics. frustrated.gif

Pros would be protection, resale value, and the ability to participate in the registry.

Cons would be price, time out of hand, risks for damage, and lack of resale value if they don't get a high enough grade.

But I think the key is the registry. I've been a participant in the PSA sportscard grading registry for a few years and can tell you that outrageous prices on slabbed comics today will be the good old days if the registry really takes off. There are loads of modern sets I'd love to have a HG registry entry for. All those mini-series and rebooted series that we love to talk about. 9.8 sets of Powers, Mage, Crisis, Dark Knight, Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, Cerebus? Dreamy.

I still don't understand the registry thing. I see that people have lists of their books and whatever, but what does that do for people? Is it just a status thing?

Is it just a status thing?

Ding Ding! Tell him what he's won!

It lets you know how (un)"worthy" your collection is.

But yeah, status, so you can say that you've got the 5894 best CGCed ASM on the planet.

Is it just a status thing?

Ding Ding! Tell him what he's won!

It lets you know how (un)"worthy" your collection is.

But yeah, status, so you can say that you've got the 5894 best CGCed ASM on the planet.

Hahaha. So would it be, like, totally cool to have the 45th best CGCed Ultimate X-Men #50? Hhahaha.

The CGC Registry should be alot of fun, and we hope you enjoy it. Registries are a great way to bring some focus to your collecting while sharing your collection with others. I would encourage everyone who participates to upload pictures of their comics and to put in some rich descriptions of their sets and what the experience of building the set has been like, and of their individual books. It's detail and sharing like that which can really bring a tool like this to life as a valuable part of the community and the collecting experience.

That was posted by Architect when they first rolled out the Registry. Is it a chance for people to show off their amazing collections? Yes. And I think that's fine. The trick to the Registry is to stay focused on your own collecting interests and not get caught up in the "who has the best" part. Check out Red Hook's Avengers 1-150 as an example of focusing on your interests and still participating in the registry. Anyone looking for examples of various pedigree books would find a few in his set. He also has images up which is cool.

For example, I really want a SLEEPER #1, and the only CGC book is a 9.6 (if I remember correctly).

I'm trying for that too, but a Signature Series copy with Brubaker's autograph.

I'm predominantly a modern collector as well, but because of certain storylines, I've found myself picking up bronze and silver books.

For example, I really want a SLEEPER #1, and the only CGC book is a 9.6 (if I remember correctly).

I'm trying for that too, but a Signature Series copy with Brubaker's autograph.

I'm predominantly a modern collector as well, but because of certain storylines, I've found myself picking up bronze and silver books.

Have you seen many decent copies of SLEEPER #1? I've seen many 9.6 raw copies, but I'm hesitant to say any of those are worthy of a possible 9.8.

What other moderns have you got in 9.8 or better?

Have you seen many decent copies of SLEEPER #1? I've seen many 9.6 raw copies, but I'm hesitant to say any of those are worthy of a possible 9.8.

I'm pretty fickle about my books, but my deadline in obtaining anything in the grade I'd like are the convention schedules. For example, my deadline for a Sleeper #1 is the Emerald City Comicon in February as Brubaker will be there. I've seen a few 9.6 copies which I'd be happy to slab, but I won't give up the search for a better one until the time to con is much closer.

What other moderns have you got in 9.8 or better?

I have quite a lot of books and my back reminds me everytime I need to move them around. What piques your interest?