• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I wrong here? (Ebay related question)

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this belongs in another thread.

Now to the issue;

I sold a comic Cgc 9.2 for $199 +$20s/h. On the bay.

The purchaser sent me a message a couple days ago saying the case was damaged in shipping what could I do for him? He didn't want to ruin my 100%.

So I was grateful that he came to me right away. I offered $40 back and asked if he could send some pics so I could go to the post office. Try to recoup some $.

He than messages today saying he talked to Cgc

It's a $12 Reslab fee, $5 handling fee, $35 to ship each way; so he would like at least $87. And he's to busy during the week to send photos he will try this weekend.

Now to me $87 refund for a cracked slab for a $200 book is a bit much. Also how does it cost $35 to ship, when heritage sends me a $1200 book to Canada for $26?

Anyone have examples of what they have refunded or been refunded for a cracked slab.

My two examples were with heritage and they only gave me a $25 coupon, and on ebay. I bought a $100 book, it was cracked. I asked for $30 and he agreed.

So what seems like a fair deal?

Side note; checked buyers feedback made one other buy recently and nothing else in the last 2 years, and than similar nothing for two years before that???

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Rich

Be sure to be polite and feel his pain. If he makes any mention of feedback you're safe-ebay will remove it on request and you can do whatever seems fair to YOU.

I just created a ReHolder invoice, it came to $46, this does not include the cost of shipping it to them which should be around $10.

Continue to offer him $40. It is his choice to have it Re-slabbed after all, he can incur that extra cost if he wants.

So he has the time to call CGC and get a quote, but doesn't have time to post photos? That right there shows the legitimacy of his claim.

Also, why no insurance for a graded book (you should insure graded books no matter how much they fetch you for reasons just as this)? It's only a few bucks more on top of an already relatively high shipping cost (I'm assuming/hoping you're shipping international which is why the postage was so much).

Be exceedingly pleasant, but do your diligence and find out how much it REALLY costs for this person to reslab a book from there location. As a point of reference I mailed a slab to Texas from California on Monday via USPS Priority Mail medium flat rate box with signature delivery and insurance for $260 of declared value for $17.

Keep it all on the eBay messaging too so someone can have immediate access if you need to escalate, best of luck to you.

So he has the time to call CGC and get a quote, but doesn't have time to post photos? That right there shows the legitimacy of his claim.

Also, why no insurance for a graded book (you should insure graded books no matter how much they fetch you for reasons just as this)? It's only a few bucks more on top of an already relatively high shipping cost (I'm assuming/hoping you're shipping international which is why the postage was so much).

Be exceedingly pleasant, but do your diligence and find out how much it REALLY costs for this person to reslab a book from there location. As a point of reference I mailed a slab to Texas from California on Monday via USPS Priority Mail medium flat rate box with signature delivery and insurance for $260 of declared value for $17.

Keep it all on the eBay messaging too so someone can have immediate access if you need to escalate, best of luck to you.

I'm assuming since the OP said he needed the pics to take to the P.O. and recoup some money that he did have insurance on the package.

Is there a list somewhere in this forum with bad eBay-er's? Kind of the the HOS we have? Name and a brief synopsis of their crimes.
It was poofed because the OP somehow kept getting added onto the list. :roflmao:

A list is not a great idea. There is a thread where people can air their grievances about eBayers but no "master list."

-slym

I sold a comic Cgc 9.2 for $199 +$20s/h. On the bay. The purchaser sent me a message a couple days ago saying the case was damaged in shipping what could I do for him?

What kind of packaging and shipping did you use? Was the case well-protected with bubble wrap or a box-within-a-box type of setup? For $20 it should have been pretty solid packaging.

He didn't want to ruin my 100%.

Is that what he said? Because that hints at feedback extortion. If he said "I don't want to ruin your 100%" then there is an implied threat of a negative feedback.

So I was grateful that he came to me right away. I offered $40 back and asked if he could send some pics so I could go to the post office. Try to recoup some $.

I would have asked for pics before setting any refund price. Otherwise it sounds like you did the right thing here. The buyer should at least prove that the case is damaged.

He than messages today saying he talked to Cgc

It's a $12 Reslab fee, $5 handling fee, $35 to ship each way; so he would like at least $87. And he's to busy during the week to send photos he will try this weekend.

As somebody else pointed out: He has time to call CGC and get a quote for reholdering, but he doesn't have time to snap a photo of a cracked case? Dubious.

Your refund offer of $40 is more than generous enough to cover the reslabbing. Any collector of CGC comics will wait until he has several comics he needs reholdered and send them all at once to save on shipping. Or send them with an order to get raw comics graded. That's pretty much standard.

At this point the buyer is trying to gouge you on the refund. He's completely out of line. There's no guarantee the guy will even get the book reholdered -- he'll pocket the refund and get a $200 book for $113.

Get a photo. Stand by your $40 offer. If buyer says anything else hinting at feedback extortion or otherwise tries to coerce/shame/insult/admonish you, politely ask him to return the book inside the cracked holder for a full refund.