• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which copper books cracked the $100 barrier...but not fueled by a movie?

117 posts in this topic

Arrow

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week. how many people actually watch that show, 16 in the u.s. and another 11 in canada (snow shut-ins)? i can't stand all that brooding and what not.

Arrow debuted in Oct '12 and was pulling 4 million viewers in the first season, slightly above the snow-shut ins guesstimate. It debuted in Oct. '12 which means the option and filming were at least 2 years ago.

Deathstroke / Wilson has been integral since the beginning and still is in the 2nd season.

NTT 2 was popular, but not a consistent $100 book before this.

the ratings on Arrow were at an all time low last week. lots of things start with a bang and then slide. my career for example.

with that said, the ratings it is getting on TW, if it keeps them going, will be enough to keep the show on the air for 10 years like smallville. it takes a lot for a TW show to get cancelled. they are happy with a hardcore 1-2 million viewers, which is a good thing for a friend of mine who created, produces and writes one of the TW comedies that isn't getting such great ratings, but will probably hang around another 3 or 4 years.

anyway, this is the first time i have read the arrow TV show being the reason for the NTT 2 extra bump (as it was already a $50-$75 book as per donut), but i'll take your word for it. i suppose that could explain the extra $25+ it has picked up, but wouldn't deathstroke's expanded role in the New 52 also explain that?

It wasn't ever $100, but was $50-75 all day long on line, and could be bought at shows for $2 regularly.

I have found a couple of cheap copies over the years, but I don't know about "regularly", I do remember you mentioning a big score of them out of a cheap-o box a while back, which at the time reminded me to buy that book even if it was $2-$5.

I did get a NM copy marked at $8 at Midtown's 40% off sale about 2 years ago, which was pretty exciting. it looked like it may have been priced years earlier and sitting in some back issue stock in storage and then pulled out of storage as I also got a Wolverine 1 NM regular series for $8 minus the 40% discount which also seemed to have been marked years earlier.

Midtown actually occasionally makes a pricing mistake. It's fun to find them, although you can go through A LOT of bins before you do (if you do).

Arrow

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week. how many people actually watch that show, 16 in the u.s. and another 11 in canada (snow shut-ins)? i can't stand all that brooding and what not.

Arrow debuted in Oct '12 and was pulling 4 million viewers in the first season, slightly above the snow-shut ins guesstimate. It debuted in Oct. '12 which means the option and filming were at least 2 years ago.

Deathstroke / Wilson has been integral since the beginning and still is in the 2nd season.

the ratings on Arrow were at an all time low last week. lots of things start with a bang and then slide. my career for example.

with that said, the ratings it is getting on TW, if it keeps them going, will be enough to keep the show on the air for 10 years like smallville. it takes a lot for a TW show to get cancelled. they are happy with a hardcore 1-2 million viewers, which is a good thing for a friend of mine who created, produces and writes one of the TW comedies that isn't getting such great ratings, but will probably hang around another 3 or 4 years.

anyway, this is the first time i have read the arrow TV show being the reason for the NTT 2 extra bump (as it was already a $50-$75 book as per donut), but i'll take your word for it. i suppose that could explain the extra $25+ it has picked up, but wouldn't deathstroke's expanded role in the New 52 also explain that?

Absolutely, along with the general market uptick over the past two years, but we can't just blindly attribute it to one thing without recognizing the other.

not relevant to anything, but terminator sarah connor chronicles was cancelled with an average viewership of over 5.3 million its second season (over 10 million its 1st season). i guess that's the difference between warner and Fox. i was ticked off when that got cancelled, i really wanted to see where it was going.

Arrow

Absolutely, along with the general market uptick over the past two years, but we can't just blindly attribute it to one thing without recognizing the other.

my explanation is a general foaming at the mouth about "keys" of any note that has been building up for a while. it's nice to see a book like that which sells in ALL grades at a nice price.

What impact has the surge in prices for NM 98 had in the prices for NTT 2?

It seems that Deadpool (Wade Wilson) being a parody/homage/copy of Deathstroke (Slade Wilson) would cause some Deadpool fans (already willing to spend big money on NM 98) to become interested in the "original" in Deathstroke's NTT 2.

It seems that Deadpool (Wade Wilson) being a parody/homage/copy of Deathstroke (Slade Wilson) would cause some Deadpool fans (already willing to spend big money on NM 98) to become interested in the "original" in Deathstroke's NTT 2.

It's certainly possible that has moved a small percentage of the needle as well.

It's certainly possible that has moved a small percentage of the needle as well.

The key factor being that even a very small percentage of the Deadpool fanbase could have a "more than small" impact on the much smaller Deathstroke market.

Similar to when only a few Wolverine fans suddenly decide they want Foom 2. lol

I dunno, yes, they look similar, and yes, they're both mercenaries, and yes, Liefield obviously was very "inspired" by Deathstroke, but Deadpool has become a popular character because of the humor and Deathstroke is popular (albeit less so) cuz he's a badarse. Not to mention, about half of Liefield's character's look like Deathstroke and about half the Marvel characters of that era were toting around swords.

But can someone please explain this math to me?:

"Wizard Magazine rated him the 84th greatest villain of all time and the 72nd greatest comic book character of all time."

And what's the deal with all of Slade's super powered kids, is that because he became a daddy after getting zapped by the super soldier serum?

Also, based on DC's original history, Slade would be in his early 80s by now. Of course, Peter Parker would be collecting social security as well (and Reed Richards, Ben Grimm and Nick Fury would both be in their 90s...), but at least Parker's not so fixated in a particular timeline, the original slade got his super powers cuz the guvment thought we needed guys with extra zip to deal with the coming problems in Vietnam!

I dunno, yes, they look similar, and yes, they're both mercenaries, and yes, Liefield obviously was very "inspired" by Deathstroke, but Deadpool has become a popular character because of the humor and Deathstroke is popular (albeit less so) cuz he's a badarse. Not to mention, about half of Liefield's character's look like Deathstroke and about half the Marvel characters of that era were toting around swords.

Deadstroke = Slade Wilson

Deadpool = Wade Wilson

2164436-deadpool_vs_deathstroke_zpsf675f34b.jpg

i wasn't saying liefield didn't copy the look of the character, i'm just questioning whether rabid foam at the mouth deadpool fans are fueling the spike in price.

other than looking the same (and having similar names), the reasons for their current popularity are pretty different

Deadstroke = Slade Wilson

Deadpool = Wade Wilson

2164436-deadpool_vs_deathstroke_zpsf675f34b.jpg

where is that panel from? i might have to get that.

i wasn't saying liefield didn't copy the look of the character, i'm just questioning whether rabid foam at the mouth deadpool fans are fueling the spike in price.

There are nearly 5,000 slabbed copies of NM 98.

There are under 1,000 slabbed copies of NTT 2.

If even 1% of NM 98 owners (rabid or not) are interested in NTT 2... that would be 5% of the NTT 2 market.

All it takes is a couple of extra competing bidders and sale averages move up.

slabs aren't the only market. indeed, tons of raw copies of the book are selling for good money too.

not to mention, there is overlap because we are talking about comic collectors, who collect lots of stuff and are fans of multiple characters. heck, i collect everything (almost). copper age collectors will collect copper keys. i'd venture to guess that most folks who have been collecting 20-25+ years probably owned the NTT #2 first as NTT was one of the few DC titles even many Marvel fans liked.

The real value in Deadpool (and the NTT book ya'll are discussing) is the long term value. I set up as a comicbook seller at a small show at a local college 2 years ago. I was amazed by:

1. The number of college students looking for Deadpool issues.

2. How poor those college students were.

When they all graduate, get jobs, and some money, they'll come back looking for NM98. It's only a matter of time.

The real value in Deadpool (and the NTT book ya'll are discussing) is the long term value. I set up as a comicbook seller at a small show at a local college 2 years ago. I was amazed by:

When they all graduate, get jobs, and some money, they'll come back looking for NM98. It's only a matter of time.

New Mutants #98 came out in 1991. Shouldn't they be out of college 23 years later?

New Mutants #98 came out in 1991. Shouldn't they be out of college 23 years later?

Yes. But there has been a revival of interest in Deadpool. Deadpool became a funny character instead of a serious one, and that breathed new life into the character. At least a couple years ago, it seemed he was more hot than I remembered him ever being. People were specifically asking for his appearances (but cheap ones).

yeah, i don't have much hope for these kids ever having money (unless they all get jobs on wall street) given that i am 41, have a J.D. from a top 25 (at the time at least) law school, top 15 or so university and don't have three nickles to scrape together. was looking at job postings (i am employed, but it doesn't pay the bills, although i will have a great pension if i live that long) and it was just depressing. temp job after temp job and many of them want 5-15 years of experience. we have multiple admitted attorneys working FOR FREE in my office because they can't find work and don't want an experience void on their resume. this recovery isn't much of one for most of us and i'm afraid it's systemic. probably doesn't make a difference who is in office.