• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which copper books cracked the $100 barrier...but not fueled by a movie?

117 posts in this topic

Heh, put away the pitchforks and torches. I'm not here to steal books. I only trade up these days...I'm in a financial fix right now and selling off my currency collection so I don't have to sell my comics. My interest in these books is to buy them and hold them. And I like the price point...I'm tired of collecting raggy books. And I'll say this as gently as I can...if you want your copper age books to go up in value, they can't stay a secret...they have to be exposed and the general public has to agree that they are awesome and start buying them up...which is a long shot.

Cards on the table, here's my own philosophy. There's an old expresssion:

"The battle does not always belong to the strong, nor the race to the swift....but that's a good way to bet". :)

With collectibles, I think it makes sense to buy something with a proven track record. 10 years ago, I could have chosen between a low grade copy of Hulk 180, or some other flavor of the month comicbook that was "hot" and had been out a few months. Which would be better? The answer is always the thing that has consistently increased in value due to its own merits, rather than a temporary spike because of a movie. I'm sure there were people back then say, "Oh, that Hulk 180 can't go any higher..its so expensive now". But invariably, every time anyone has ever said that about any book that has increased in value...they have been wrong. Correct?

I could go onto Ebay, and sort the books in the Copper age section based on "highest prices first" and compile a perfect list of expensive bronze age books. It would only take time to put one together. But I was hoping to learn more about the books too. This is a beginning for me.

I started this interest of mine innocently enough...I bought a low grade Batman Adventures #12. Its cool, its a suprisingly great read, and it's been rising in value for a while. I don't see that stopping. Too many girls at the conventions wearing Harley Quinn outfits. It helped me figure out that I've been overlooking Copper for a while. Last night, I went to Walmart to buy a birthday present for a kid and saw action figures for the TMNTs. Believe it or not, I bought issues #2 and #3 right off the stands...dead mint. Sold them too....for about $30 a piece. Thought that was wonderful at the time....so Yeah...my selling days are over. I'd like to repurchase those TMNT #2 and #3 again...because I owned them, read them and loved them...because Leonardo isn't going away..and because I can't afford a #1. :)

Steve

New Teen Titans #2 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2005. #44 was >$100 in 9.8 for most of 2012 and occasionally sales were higher in years prior. Neither of these was driven over $100 because of TV or a movie. First Deathstroke was a semi-key long before a TV appearance.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

Xmen #266 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2002.

If you read the original post the person did not want graded books just raw. To everyone please stop adding New Teen Titans #2 or #44 & X-Men #266 to this thread.

Lets watch tonight!

Yikes! Those suckers that are bidding on that are going to be surprised when they get an over graded 5.0 copy. There's not even a back cover scan to help it's case.

doh! except that its donuts book, and probably closer to VF

7.0 sounds about right based on that front cover scan assuming the back doesn't have a pee stain on it or something.

It was a 7.0, which sold for $78, so that makes a 9.2 one about $140, right?

I'm curious how this isn't akin to the other threads asking for hot books?

I'll give you no-brainers. New Teen Titans #2 and #44. Neither are movie related.

I would think we would throw TV into the classifier as well and with that NTT #2 would be removed.

Also, OP, are you talking graded or raw? Big difference.

What TV fueled NTT #2 prices popping? (Yes, I know current levels are higher than 2 years ago). It started popping a long time ago (though not to the current heights, true). I remember fishing a 4.0 - 4.5 (at best) copy out of a dollar box 9 or so years ago and getting $10 for it on ebay when it was still $6 in NM in guide.

Arrow

With collectibles, I think it makes sense to buy something with a proven track record. 10 years ago, I could have chosen between a low grade copy of Hulk 180, or some other flavor of the month comicbook that was "hot" and had been out a few months. Which would be better? The answer is always the thing that has consistently increased in value due to its own merits, rather than a temporary spike because of a movie. I'm sure there were people back then say, "Oh, that Hulk 180 can't go any higher..its so expensive now". But invariably, every time anyone has ever said that about any book that has increased in value...they have been wrong. Correct?

Well, look back at what used to be some of the most valuable comics 40 years ago and compare that to where they are now.

Also, the books that get the big "movie bumps" aren't exactly books with no merit. Of course, that doesn't mean it's worth sitting on top of the spike and emptying your wallet.

I started this interest of mine innocently enough...I bought a low grade Batman Adventures #12. Its cool, its a suprisingly great read, and it's been rising in value for a while. I don't see that stopping. Too many girls at the conventions wearing Harley Quinn outfits. It helped me figure out that I've been overlooking Copper for a while. Last night, I went to Walmart to buy a birthday present for a kid and saw action figures for the TMNTs. Believe it or not, I bought issues #2 and #3 right off the stands...dead mint. Sold them too....for about $30 a piece. Thought that was wonderful at the time....so Yeah...my selling days are over. I'd like to repurchase those TMNT #2 and #3 again...because I owned them, read them and loved them...because Leonardo isn't going away..and because I can't afford a #1. :)

Batman Adventures is Modern/post-Copper, but don't let that dissuade you from buying any awesome Copper comics.

New Teen Titans #2 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2005. #44 was >$100 in 9.8 for most of 2012 and occasionally sales were higher in years prior. Neither of these was driven over $100 because of TV or a movie. First Deathstroke was a semi-key long before a TV appearance.

TDKR#1 is a good one.

Xmen #266 was >$100 in 9.8 all the way back to 2002.

If you read the original post the person did not want graded books just raw. To everyone please stop adding New Teen Titans #2 or #44 & X-Men #266 to this thread.

Lets watch tonight!

Yikes! Those suckers that are bidding on that are going to be surprised when they get an over graded 5.0 copy. There's not even a back cover scan to help it's case.

doh! except that its donuts book, and probably closer to VF

7.0 sounds about right based on that front cover scan assuming the back doesn't have a pee stain on it or something.

It was a 7.0, which sold for $78, so that makes a 9.2 one about $140, right?

$1,000,000.

:whistle:

What a out the really rare mag sized(?) elf lord books? $100? I always loved 80s indies and I didn't even know those existed until five years ago and what I thought were the first elf lord comics were 100x as common

I'm curious how this isn't akin to the other threads asking for hot books?

I'll give you no-brainers. New Teen Titans #2 and #44. Neither are movie related.

I would think we would throw TV into the classifier as well and with that NTT #2 would be removed.

Also, OP, are you talking graded or raw? Big difference.

What TV fueled NTT #2 prices popping? (Yes, I know current levels are higher than 2 years ago). It started popping a long time ago (though not to the current heights, true). I remember fishing a 4.0 - 4.5 (at best) copy out of a dollar box 9 or so years ago and getting $10 for it on ebay when it was still $6 in NM in guide.

Arrow

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week. how many people actually watch that show, 16 in the u.s. and another 11 in canada (snow shut-ins)? i can't stand all that brooding and what not.

I think ASM #300 has earned its popularity, without the need of hype – these are good stories (although Michelinie did better things previously), and Venom is one of those remarkable characters from Marvel which we have hardly seen afterwards..

well, ASM 300 was a $100 book in some parts 20 years ago.

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week.

No, no. You can't count it because it had to be a raw sale, not contingent on being in 9.6 or 9.8, prior to the TV show effect. :eyeroll:

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week.

No, no. You can't count it because it had to be a raw sale, not contingent on being in 9.6 or 9.8, prior to the TV show effect. :eyeroll:

I don't know anything about slab prices, haven't sold or bought a slab in years, I am talking about a really nice raw. I don't know if they were at $100, but a year ago (when did Deathstroke appear on Arrow?) I would venture to guess they were $80+, which is close enough as I was pondering selling my nice copy then but never got around to it.

Like I said, I sold a VG/VG+ copy for $10 8 or 9 years ago. What does that extrapolate to in NM, $50-$60?

Whether it is up past $100 from $80+ because of a TV show nobody watches or because it is a natural progression (as it is a cool character who featured prominently in the New 52 re-boot).

Anyway, Donut can chime in as I remember 7-9 years ago him posting how he was making a killing on that book.

Arrow

book was popping big before arrow. i didn't even know deathstroke was on that show until i saw some promo for an episode last week. how many people actually watch that show, 16 in the u.s. and another 11 in canada (snow shut-ins)? i can't stand all that brooding and what not.

Arrow debuted in Oct '12 and was pulling 4 million viewers in the first season, slightly above the snow-shut ins guesstimate. It debuted in Oct. '12 which means the option and filming were at least 2 years ago.

Deathstroke / Wilson has been integral since the beginning and still is in the 2nd season.

NTT 2 was popular, but not a consistent $100 book before this.

I don't know anything about slab prices, haven't sold or bought a slab in years, I am talking about a really nice raw. I don't know if they were at $100, but a year ago (when did Deathstroke appear on Arrow?) I would venture to guess they were $80+, which is close enough as I was pondering selling my nice copy then but never got around to it.

Like I said, I sold a VG/VG+ copy for $10 8 or 9 years ago. What does that extrapolate to in NM, $50-$60?

Whether it is up past $100 from $80+ because of a TV show nobody watches or because it is a natural progression (as it is a cool character who featured prominently in the New 52 re-boot).

Anyway, Donut can chime in as I remember 7-9 years ago him posting how he was making a killing on that book.

It wasn't ever $100, but was $50-75 all day long on line, and could be bought at shows for $2 regularly.

Arrow

Arrow debuted in Oct. '12. Obviously it was optioned, scripted, and filmed before that. In it's first season it was drawing 4 million viewers, just over the snow shut-in guesstimate.

Deathstroke was integral in the show since the beginning and has been continually as season 2 is wrapping up.

It's hard to say if the show has had that much effect to bump it to a $100 book. I think just the general well being of the market has helped that, but, the show did help for some buyers.