• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too bad i cannot bid on theses cheap CGG comics...

14 posts in this topic

They are cheap, but I think the CGG grading is the reason. I think alot of collectors view their grading as more suspect than CGC for some reason.

CGG 9.0 = CGC 8.0-8.5? confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the shipping, you would think if you were willing to pay the difference to ship overseas it wouldn't be a problem. mad.gif

Speaking of which, aren't there any big comic dealers in Europe you can buy from? I would think they could do a lot of business with European collectors who hate having to pay such HIGH shipping costs from the US all the time. I've been selling some BA books lately with several buyers being from France, Germany. Shipping is usually around $20.

Of course with the strong Euro, American comics are getting cheaper all the time, eh? smile.gif

They are cheap, but I think the CGG grading is the reason. I think alot of collectors view their grading as more suspect than CGC for some reason.

Actually, from my experience I think you got that backwards. I was looking at those two DDs and almost pulled the BIN. Reason being that if CGG/PGA says 9.0, then there is a good chance CGC will say 9.2, maybe even 9.4. As a matter of fact, I refrain from sending PGA any of my best high grade books for fear of them being undergraded. A couple days ago I received my shipment of CGCs with an X-Men #162 at 9.6 White. I previously had this same book graded by CGG at 9.2 white but I KNEW it was undergraded. I've seen this before. Who's right? I cannot say. But as a rough estimate I'd say you have a 50% chance of receiving one bump up in grade, especially for high-grade books, if resubbing to CGC, from PGA. YES, there are exceptions, but as a general rule, PGA is a little stricter in grading. Great for buyers, bad for submitters.

Actually, from my experience I think you got that backwards. I was looking at those two DDs and almost pulled the BIN. Reason being that if CGG/PGA says 9.0, then there is a good chance CGC will say 9.2, maybe even 9.4. As a matter of fact, I refrain from sending PGA any of my best high grade books for fear of them being undergraded. A couple days ago I received my shipment of CGCs with an X-Men #162 at 9.6 White. I previously had this same book graded by CGG at 9.2 white but I KNEW it was undergraded. I've seen this before. Who's right? I cannot say. But as a rough estimate I'd say you have a 50% chance of receiving one bump up in grade, especially for high-grade books, if resubbing to CGC, from PGA. YES, there are exceptions, but as a general rule, PGA is a little stricter in grading. Great for buyers, bad for submitters.

I haven't had any personal experience with CGG/PGA, so I had no idea. It just seems that collectors aren't willing to pay the same premium for CGG that they do for CGC. Thanks for the info! laugh.gif

I'm blocked from bidding because the seller don't want to ship overseas...

Just want to share thoses book with you:

Cheap CGG comics

Try and contact the seller and see if he would be willing to work something out, if you payed the extra shipping etc. You never know but what could it hurt? If I was him I would if you planned to buy more than one auction.

I'm blocked from bidding because the seller don't want to ship overseas...

Just want to share thoses book with you:

Cheap CGG comics

Try and contact the seller and see if he would be willing to work something out, if you payed the extra shipping etc. You never know but what could it hurt? If I was him I would if you planned to buy more than one auction.

I dropped him a line a few hours ago while I was at work and I'm waiting on a reply now, I'm only in Canada, if I pay the extra can't see it being much of a problem unless he pulls the UPS card.

Sorry O-F by the time I clicked the link...nothing was left but a bronze ASM 7.0.

If I had looked sooner, I would have been willing to purchase a book for you and send it on overseas. Were the books Daredevil? or something else?

In my limited experience with CGG, they do grade books a little more severely than CGC, but not by much. Maybe one or two notches, at most. Yet their restoration check is nowhere near as good, and for me, that is where the real value of CGC lies.

I avoid CGG because either a) it's not worth the hassle of cracking the slabs and resubmitting them to CGC for a higher grade on low dollar books, and b) I'm too afraid of buying big dollar CGG books for fear of missed resto.

Just have it mailed to one of the U.S. board members and I'm sure they would be happy to reroute it to you. Not to put Donut on the spot but he redently was assisted by our overseas members in the U.K. and he said he would be ahppy to return the favour? Hit the BIN on it before I do and work out the shipping details tomorrow with someone here after the holiday.

I haven't had any personal experience with CGG/PGA, so I had no idea. It just seems that collectors aren't willing to pay the same premium for CGG that they do for CGC. Thanks for the info! laugh.gif

Regardless of what I said earlier, yes this is still true, generally speaking. There are definitely those out there that do not trust PGA, and undoubtedly CGC is the best service in most cases.

Actually, from my experience I think you got that backwards. I was looking at those two DDs and almost pulled the BIN. Reason being that if CGG/PGA says 9.0, then there is a good chance CGC will say 9.2, maybe even 9.4. As a matter of fact,

Yup. I recently won a bronze age PGA 8.5 that would be at least a CGC 9.2. Probably a 9.4. I cracked it and put it in a mylar. Not bad for $7. grin.gif

Conan17PGAtopweb.jpg

Conan17PGAweb.jpg

And no, it's not restored! frustrated.gifwink.gif

I sent a perfect NYX 3 to them to just try them out. (Have never used them before) it was near perfect under the magnifying glass. It came back a 9.6. NO way. They use a different severly strict grading standard which leans on being very conservative which I would assume they are doing to attain industry credbility. If you see a 9.8 or above come out of these company , buy it because it is probably a 9.9 or 10.0. under overstreet grading standards. Their customer service is excellent but not at the superior level of Scott or Andy at CGC.

I sent a perfect NYX 3 to them to just try them out. (Have never used them before) it was near perfect under the magnifying glass. It came back a 9.6. NO way. They use a different severly strict grading standard which leans on being very conservative which I would assume they are doing to attain industry credbility. If you see a 9.8 or above come out of these company , buy it because it is probably a 9.9 or 10.0. under overstreet grading standards. Their customer service is excellent but not at the superior level of Scott or Andy at CGC.

I agree, but I wouldn't be so sure about that 9.8. I have a Punisher #1 (1st monthly series) that came back 9.8 from CGG. I also though about that CGC 9.9 potential and resubmitted it to them. Came back the same from CGC at 9.8. You CANNOT COUNT on getting a higher bump from CGC, but there is a good chance of it.

By the way, before cracking the slab and resubmitting it to CGC, I listed in twice on Ebay while still a CGG 9.8 for 49.95. Not one single bid either time. That's why I cracked it, it just didn't get any respect. Later on when I list it as a CGC 9.8 for the same price I don't think I'll have a problem getting some nice bids. -------Sid