• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic four #45 Discusion

14 posts in this topic

I know to some of the old timers the thought of some of these books becoming keys is cray talk !

Why is FF #45 the book? Medusa is a key inhuman, as is Black bolt and Gorgon all of their first full appearances are not in this book.

Its like the first appearance of a team not the players. (BB #28) All of the justice league first appearances are worth many times what BB #28 is worth.

Just looking for the opinions of others on this book, every time I want to pull the trigger on this heavily speculated book i pull back....

I do like the In-humans for the most part depending on who is writing them.

Lets hear it !

The Inhumans are not a superhero/villain TEAM, they are a separate RACE, and the first time they are named as such. Combine that with one of the sweetest covers of the SA, difficulty in HG, and you have a key. This book sets a new GPA record almost every time it hits the auction block

The Inhumans are not a superhero/villain TEAM, they are a separate RACE, and the first time they are named as such. Combine that with one of the sweetest covers of the SA, difficulty in HG, and you have a key. This book sets a new GPA record almost every time it hits the auction block

i know they are a race ! just looking for a way to compare.

and its not the rarest in grade and has a huge increase this year in price.

Near Mint 9.4 16 0 1 0 17

Near Mint - 9.2 23 0 1 1 25

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 58 0 1 1 60

Very Fine + 8.5 49

i know they are a race ! just looking for a way to compare.

and its not the rarest in grade and has a huge increase this year in price.

Near Mint 9.4 16 0 1 0 17

Near Mint - 9.2 23 0 1 1 25

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 58 0 1 1 60

Very Fine + 8.5 49

I agree there's a lot of them out there, but not many HG (9.0+) come up FS. For some reason, more people tend to keep this book in HG...Compare this to, say #48. 48 is a much more important book history-wise, but more readily available and it stays fairly close to GPA average..If a 45 does come up in an auction, I'm quickly out of the fight. I lost out twice in 2007 and 2008 on the 9.4 Green River copy, which at the time went over 5x GPA, and around 1-1/2 times what a 9.6 #48 usually went for. Head scratcher...

Someday I will get one... :wishluck:

I know to some of the old timers the thought of some of these books becoming keys is cray talk !

Why is FF #45 the book? Medusa is a key inhuman, as is Black bolt and Gorgon all of their first full appearances are not in this book.

Its like the first appearance of a team not the players. (BB #28) All of the justice league first appearances are worth many times what BB #28 is worth.

Just looking for the opinions of others on this book, every time I want to pull the trigger on this heavily speculated book i pull back....

I do like the In-humans for the most part depending on who is writing them.

Lets hear it !

About as much Rubbish as IM 55 being a key.... meh

In my opinion, The Inhumans have 6 important books, but FF45 is the "key" issue:

1st Medusa:

IMG_1820_zps634c7d54.jpg

1st Gorgon:

IMG_1821_zpsde17117a.jpg

1st Inhumans, Crystal, Karnak, Triton, Lockjaw & Black Bolt (cameo):

IMG_1787_zpsfbea8fea.jpg

1st Full appearance of Black Bolt:

IMG_1788_zpsc478e26f.jpg

1st Maximus the Mad:

IMG_1789_zps2dba0a27.jpg

1st Origin & Standalone Story:

IMG_1807_zps4930cf65.jpg

Was Thor 146 really first solo and origin of the inhumans ?

Yes, starting Nov 1967, the first solo Inhumans backup stories ran in Thor from issue 146-152. Thor 146 was also the 1st origin story.

The next solo Inhumans story was a single issue in July 1968 with Marvel Super-Heroes 15.

The third solo Inhumans story began in Aug 1970 with Amazing Adventures (vol 2) 1, which ran for 10 issues.

FF #45 is when Marvel really started taking off.. The mid to late 60's run of Fantastic Four will always be considered a creative peak, if not the definitive work of Lee/Kirby.

#45 is a symbol of that golden era of great silver age SUPER HERO genre comics. the literature started taking depth and form and the marvel universe exploded~!

Im a Fantastic Four/X-men junkie for life.. my opinion is slightly biased..

i grew up in the late 70's where Thor and especially Captain America were not popular...

In my college days, Silver Surfer was a bad !!

i think in time, a lot of those mid to late 60's FF books will be considered keys.. #48 isn't the only marvel key in that run!

#45 is probably a good investment, movie hype has yet to drive it too insane levels.. pull the trigger! I've seen tons of low grade, not many in 9.2+...

look at avengers 257, first nebula, a dollar longbox book until movie hype.. but it will never be a dollar again, and probably not even less than 5..

a similar book is FF 65 (first Ronan, Supreme Intelligence, Kree Empire). before this holiday season and Lee pace was cast, it was a $100 book in 9.2+ when you could find one. now its a $1,000 or more in high grade as it turns out not a whole bunch exist in mint (as most silver age books go) but the demand was low before the reveal of Kree/Ronan in the trailer.

basically any silver age book with a 1st appearance has potential, especially the high grade books

so FF 45 imo, is sitting comfortably where FF 65 was before Pace/trailer reveal..

and thus a great buy. in a few years a trailer/casting reveal with a hot actor/actress will drive it up again,

think about it, they've al but announced Inhumans in some media form (likely movie).. now all there needs to be is a Kaleesi or some hot B-rated sci-fi actress to get cast as Medusa or Crystal and those books skyrocket..

strange tales 110 is another in that uncertain limbo thats seen jumps but will likely get more jumps!

sorry for long rant! but TLDR hellz ya buy 44,45,46!! while your at it, pick up 47 and 49, all undervalued right now!

FF #45 is when Marvel really started taking off.. The mid to late 60's run of Fantastic Four will always be considered a creative peak, if not the definitive work of Lee/Kirby.

#45 is a symbol of that golden era of great silver age SUPER HERO genre comics. the literature started taking depth and form and the marvel universe exploded~!

i grew up in the late 70's where Thor and especially Captain America were not popular...

i think in time, a lot of those mid to late 60's FF books will be considered keys.. #48 isn't the only marvel key in that run!

#45 is probably a good investment, movie hype has yet to drive it too insane levels.. pull the trigger! I've seen tons of low grade, not many in 9.2+...

look at avengers 257, first nebula, a dollar longbox book until movie hype.. but it will never be a dollar again, and probably not even less than 5..

a similar book is FF 65 (first Ronan, Supreme Intelligence, Kree Empire). before this holiday season and Lee pace was cast, it was a $100 book in 9.2+ when you could find one. now its a $1,000 or more in high grade as it turns out not a whole bunch exist in mint (as most silver age books go) but the demand was low before the reveal of Kree/Ronan in the trailer.

basically any silver age book with a 1st appearance has potential, especially the high grade books

so FF 45 imo, is sitting comfortably where FF 65 was before Pace/trailer reveal..

and thus a great buy. in a few years a trailer/casting reveal with a hot actor/actress will drive it up again,

think about it, they've al but announced Inhumans in some media form (likely movie).. now all there needs to be is a Kaleesi or some hot B-rated sci-fi actress to get cast as Medusa or Crystal and those books skyrocket..

strange tales 110 is another in that uncertain limbo thats seen jumps but will likely get more jumps!

sorry for long rant! but TLDR hellz ya buy 44,45,46!! while your at it, pick up 47 and 49, all undervalued right now!

Long rant but good point of view.

I believe the Fantastic Four run from 34 through 67 is the best of the SilverAge. Amazing art and story and introducing characters that will become even more prominent as we enter the next Marvel movie phases. As an investment there is tremendous room for growth. I believe all fantastic four prices have been lukewarm due to a terrible movie franchise and limited heat in the modern comics version. Marvel has no interest in hyping the current FF until they can get the movie rights back.

This is great for collectors as you can fill holes in your collection reasonably before these heat up to ridiculous levels. Imagine what the value of issues 48 and 49 will be if Marvel gets back the rights. A real Galactus movie and the Silver Surfer starring in the Infinity Gauntlet movie?!.?

It may take years but it gives me time to fill holes and upgrade when I can.

I believe the Fantastic Four run from 34 through 67 is the best of the SilverAge. Amazing art and story and introducing characters that will become even more prominent as we enter the next Marvel movie phases.

Not enough love for FF33. Creative Kirby photomontage cover (the first of the Silver Age), and a great story taking the FF into the undersea realm of Submariner to help fight against the threat of Attuma. I still remember the panel where Reed mimics a giant manta ray to hide the team from Attuma's minions.

Long rant but good point of view.

I believe the Fantastic Four run from 34 through 67 is the best of the SilverAge. Amazing art and story and introducing characters that will become even more prominent as we enter the next Marvel movie phases. As an investment there is tremendous room for growth. I believe all fantastic four prices have been lukewarm due to a terrible movie franchise and limited heat in the modern comics version. Marvel has no interest in hyping the current FF until they can get the movie rights back.

This is great for collectors as you can fill holes in your collection reasonably before these heat up to ridiculous levels. Imagine what the value of issues 48 and 49 will be if Marvel gets back the rights. A real Galactus movie and the Silver Surfer starring in the Infinity Gauntlet movie?!.?

It may take years but it gives me time to fill holes and upgrade when I can.

This is exactly why it's next on my to buy list, it's already almost out of my price range in a decent grade lol