• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #1 and the ASM #700 condition issue all over again

31 posts in this topic

So the new ASM #1 is one of those oversized 60-odd page books like ASM #700 was. Because of that getting a copy without the "damaged" edges is difficult. What was the overall consensus with how CGC handles those when grading? I ask because I got the 1:300 Alex Ross variant and it has those corner issues. Normally I would expect it to even get a 9.0 grade but based on what I saw with ASM #700, CGC took that into consideration to give it a higher grade.

good luck in getting a 9.8

I went to my LCR and every copy of problems on the corner

I understand this, but CGC takes that corner problem into account with grading. I'm more curious as to what peoples luck has been with submitting the ASM 700 and getting a 9.8 with noticible corner damage.

So the new ASM #1 is one of those oversized 60-odd page books like ASM #700 was. Because of that getting a copy without the "damaged" edges is difficult. What was the overall consensus with how CGC handles those when grading? I ask because I got the 1:300 Alex Ross variant and it has those corner issues. Normally I would expect it to even get a 9.0 grade but based on what I saw with ASM #700, CGC took that into consideration to give it a higher grade.

When I got my 700 Ditko variant shipped from Midtown, I had the same issue. There was also a very, very, slight spine stress mark. I sold it to a board member here and he received it from CGC a 9.8. I don't know if CGC was more lenient toward these thicker books because it seems that it's nearly impossible to avoid due to the amount of pages

I understand this, but CGC takes that corner problem into account with grading. I'm more curious as to what peoples luck has been with submitting the ASM 700 and getting a 9.8 with noticible corner damage.

Its possible.

Store owner was on phone with CGC discussing the problem

Its possible.

Store owner was on phone with CGC discussing the problem

Yes, and hopefully the NBA will lower the goal because I am not tall enough to dunk! It's not my fault, after all!!

I hope they don't take it into consideration when grading...damage is damage. Grading should be followed according to guidelines without exception (IMHO).

Production related issues have always been considered the same way, these defects included. Much like printers creases, they are allowed in 9.8. So they are following the guidelines.

Totally sucks because I have the 1:300 Alex Ross sketch variant sitting at my LCS. I went in to get all my variants and felt the damage to this one was enough that I wasnt comfortable paying the $400 price tag. I can only imagine the express on peoples faces that bought these on ebay as they open their boxes up. I have my LCS talking to the source they get comics from to see if they can apply a discount for me since I still want the book and I'm pretty sure the hunt for a perfect one will be nearly impossible at the $400 price. All the other variants, including the 1:200 sketch I got have the damage but not as bad as the 1:300.

No luck for me, either. All the variants and regular covers were has really bad corners. I don't see any of them getting a 9.8. I just bought one to read and keep. I did notice that the blanks didn't look as bad, though.

No luck for me, either. All the variants and regular covers were has really bad corners. I don't see any of them getting a 9.8. I just bought one to read and keep. I did notice that the blanks didn't look as bad, though.

because the blanks have a more "cardboard" like cover.

SPOON IT!!

Being a spidey fan, I didn't notice that.

I purchased the Alex Ross cover as well as the the two Jerome Opena variants. The J Opena variants look alot better than the Alex Ross cover. SPOON SPOON SPOON!!!!

$565.00 for the three books.

I hope they get high grades my ASM 700's did.

ASM700X4.jpg