• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Feldstein, rest in peace

48 posts in this topic

Just saw a television obituary on Al by the CBC. Never thought I'd see clips of EC comics and Mad magazine featured on Canada's national broadcaster. Ends with a shot of the black astronaut from the last panel of Judgement Day and how that got EC into trouble. I guess that also tied in with the feature story on Sterling and the panel on racism shown earlier.

Just saw a television obituary on Al by the CBC. Never thought I'd see clips of EC comics and Mad magazine featured on Canada's national broadcaster. Ends with a shot of the black astronaut from the last panel of Judgement Day and how that got EC into trouble. I guess that also tied in with the feature story on Sterling and the panel on racism shown earlier.

The orange and the blue robots... That's an amazing story -- I mean, the comic story itself, but also the story of how the Comics Code kept harassing EC about the ending ("there's too much sweat on his face," or something....).

Al was one of the best comics editors ever and crucial to so much of the success at EC. He will be missed. :(

Al was one of the best comics editors ever and crucial to so much of the success at EC. He will be missed. :(

Somebody mentioned a new (to me) Al Feldstein book. I must track it down.

For now, I rely on Grant Geissman's "Foul Play!" which is the first book I read about E.C. and still my favorite, because it emphasizes the artists.

It is no surprise that the first artist chapter is about Feldstein.

About 5 of us had a nice sit-down dinner with Al a few years back. He had A LOT of stories and was quite happy to talk about his years at EC. He talked about the reasons behind Gaines keeping all those file copies. It was truly a hobby highlight for me hearing 2 hours of tales.

Thanks again Al. :foryou:

West

Here's an interview that Vincent Z did with Feldstein in 2004: Feldstein/Kamen interview

H/T to Kat123 who originally posted the link in the Baker thread a few weeks ago.

R.I.P Al Feldstein

C7F55BE1-4916-4CE7-BCFC-8482C82E381B_zpsfwtqi8ns.jpg

Al inked this?

Like Jack Kamen mentions on the comiczoneradio interview 2004 Al Feldstein was one of Fiction House best inker, before his departure to EC. Al is credit to have assist ink&pencil many of the Crown Comics stories.

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, I did an EC tribute painting that utilized the Feldstein cover representing a story illustrated by the late Al Williamson titled By George! In the photo below Al W. is posing with my painting. I'm the geek in the suit holding his X-9 daily. :blush:

Ironically, several days ago I resurrected the photo below for a then & now series of posts in the What Do You Look Like thread in General, but it seems even more apropos posting it here to honor the recent passing of EC's other Al...

9aa92634-1f71-4def-a67b-1b3823cb0f4b_zps74dfaaa7.jpg44fb01b6-115d-46ee-912e-9e504b1bd598_zpse9448363.jpg

>>> With deep respect and appreciation for the enduring art left to us by both Als, a toast...

>>> smiley-eatdrink004.gif

>>> smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Cool photo of you and Al W! You confused me for a moment when you called him Al... I was thinking, Al Feldstein must have had a skinny phase.

This issue of Weird Science is a favorite of mine. Especially since I realized the monster is crying because he's scared, and the woman is actually the "monster" in the story. I have a low-grade copy of this with signatures by both Gaines and Feldstein.

About 5 of us had a nice sit-down dinner with Al a few years back. He had A LOT of stories and was quite happy to talk about his years at EC. He talked about the reasons behind Gaines keeping all those file copies. It was truly a hobby highlight for me hearing 2 hours of tales.

West

West, if you could share the stories, that would be great. :)

West

+1

What did he say Gaines' reason was for keeping all of the file copies?

West

+1

What did he say Gaines' reason was for keeping all of the file copies?

I'll add my vote! :headbang:

About 5 of us had a nice sit-down dinner with Al a few years back. He had A LOT of stories and was quite happy to talk about his years at EC. He talked about the reasons behind Gaines keeping all those file copies. It was truly a hobby highlight for me hearing 2 hours of tales. Thanks again Al. :foryou: West

+1 What did he say Gaines' reason was for keeping all of the file copies?

I'll add my vote! :headbang:

I add my vote too. Though I do guess, from reading E.C. comics and stories about the company, that it at least partially has to do with Gaines being notoriously O.C.D. and a pack rat. I also read that Gaines and Feldstein both were into the "new trend" (pun intended) of psychoanalysis and explored why Gaines was the way he was. I think there's at least one E.C. comic story about a character who is O.C.D. and saves everything, and this is based directly on Gaines and his relationship with his mother.

http://www.kxlh.com/news/montana-artist-mad-magazine-editor-feldstein-dies/

There's been far too few of the great comic pros in our history living happily ever-after, but whenever I think of that, I've always thought of Feldstein as a notable exception -- having lived his later years on a 270 acre Montana ranch, painting and rescuing animals. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Feldstein.

Great thread buddy! Mr. Feldstein was a true artistic genius & icon of the comic book genre and will be truly missed! (worship) His contributions are immense & immeasurable!

RIP! Mr. Feldstein :(