• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Al Feldstein

51 posts in this topic

That is sad news, he and my father became friends at the conventions, every time he was going to do a panel he asked my father to come all the time. My dad is a long time follower of EC Comics

RIP Al

Talked to him at a Megacon in 2006. He was just hanging out with a table. No one was really around him. I got to chat with him about art, life and his incredible journey through both. RIP to a legend. EC comics are some of the best ever created and he was a big part of that.

How awful!! He was such a sweetie and so interesting to talk to.

RIP man..

I remember when I went to the EC panel at comic con one year, I brought my vintage Mad mags and asked the folks to sign them. He sorted out a few issues and said "I am only in these not any of those. I have never had anyone bring in magazines this old to get signed. You aren't flinching about me putting a sharpie down on a Mad #6?"

We had a really interesting conversation about original art..

just a funny and nice entertaining guy. I will definitely miss him!

He and Stan Lee were the two most important creators in comics. He plotted most of EC's horror and sci-fi stories. And for almost 30 years, every issue of Mad flowed through his typewriter.

I really wish I could have met him at a convention. :(

If you haven't bought his art book, 'The Mad Life and Fantastic Art of Al Feldstein', buy it. It's magnificent.

I just saw that book for the first time yesterday. Just bought a copy.

RIP to the great man - I'd never had the pleasure in meeting him but I did had lot of good memories in reading old MAD 'zines and these incredible EC sci-fic stories. I discovered these EC stories in the boxed volume sets when I was a boy in the '70s.

From the day I opened these books ... my mind was never the same since! I tip my hat to his creative talent! (worship)

He and Stan Lee were the two most important creators in comics. He plotted most of EC's horror and sci-fi stories. And for almost 30 years, every issue of Mad flowed through his typewriter.

I really wish I could have met him at a convention. :(

If you haven't bought his art book, 'The Mad Life and Fantastic Art of Al Feldstein', buy it. It's magnificent.

I just saw that book for the first time yesterday. Just bought a copy.

You won't be disappointed. It's a superb book. 35 bucks at Amazon is almost criminally cheap for what you get.

About 5 of us had a nice sit-down dinner with Al a few years back. He had A LOT of stories and was quite happy to talk about his years at EC. He talked about the reasons behind Gaines keeping all those file copies. It was truly a hobby highlight for me hearing 2 hours of tales.

Thanks again Al! :foryou:

West

No mention in the article of his EC stuff -- that's a shame, he was a legend!

There will be in the NYT Obit tomorrow - real news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/business/media/soul-of-mad-magazine-al-feldstein-dies-at-88.html?_r=0

Much better write up than the ABC squib.

Now that's a write-up!

One quirk though.... At the end of the article is this:

Correction: May 1, 2014

An earlier version of this obituary misstated the subject’s surname in the headline. As the article correctly noted, he is Al Feldstein, not Goldstein.

Oopsie!