• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolish LCS owner!!

28 posts in this topic

Went into my LCS today to look for new comics and came up with nothing. So I decided to sift through the long boxes and back issues. My LCS must have at least 100 long boxes of stuff, well over 50K comics, problem is, none of them have backing boards so they are all beat to 893censored-thumb.gif. I did come up with decent copies of Rai 5 and Magnus 1, but when I asked to take them out of the bags to look closer the owner did it himself without removing the tape first. Needless to say, the tape ended up with a nice chunk of Rai 5 on it. frustrated.gif Anyone else have stories like this? Dealers or con goers trashing books with tape pulls, mylar slices, ect? I love hearing those stories...... devil.gif

So many LCS owners have no real idea how to preserve or protect their business interests.

We have a shop about 30-40 miles away that has practically every book from 1965-now on their walls. Problem is, he also had 40-50 big old flourescent lights and each book on the wall has half of a colorful color, and half faded due to the lights. I mean, its terrible. Bigtime damage to $1000's of dollars worth of books.

There are a few shops in Tulsa that don't use boards on their back issues, and the boxes are packed so tight you can't look in the box without damaging every book you touch.

It's not worth the trouble of even looking.

At the convention in Dallas, I ran across countless dealers that had boards, but the boxes were stuffed beyond belief. Again, I don't find it worth the trouble for me to have to pry every book apart and pull it halfway out of the box just to see what title or issue it is. Then...THEN you have to attempt to push it back into the box without folding the book in half. (Weird that I care more about their books than they do.)

Those shops in Tulsa are the worst. It was sad to see they cared so little about their comics as to let them get the top 1/4 bent to hell just by people looking through them.

Stuff like that makes me sick. They should all be kicked in the nuts. sumo.gif

but when I asked to take them out of the bags to look closer the owner did it himself without removing the tape first.

There have been many occassions when I have thought I could do a better job of removing a book from its bag than the LCS owner. I really hate to see such careless customer service. foreheadslap.gif

At the convention in Dallas, I ran across countless dealers that had boards, but the boxes were stuffed beyond belief. Again, I don't find it worth the trouble for me to have to pry every book apart and pull it halfway out of the box just to see what title or issue it is. Then...THEN you have to attempt to push it back into the box without folding the book in half. (Weird that I care more about their books than they do.)

A bunch of dealers at the Chicago show did the same thing. I hate when they stuff their boxes like that. If I can't readily flip through them....I don't even bother.

A bunch of dealers at the Chicago show did the same thing. I hate when they stuff their boxes like that. If I can't readily flip through them....I don't even bother.

I usually don't either.

The only exception is if they have tabbed dividers by title. Then I'll ask the owner to pull a handful of comics out of the box so I can flip through them.

Still, you know some fat fingered nerd has been there before you, so your chances of finding a decent book are between slim and none.

makepoint.gif

I know how ya'll feel about long boxes being full. Usually what I do though is take a stack out, lay them to the side, then shuffle through the box. Ive got to the point where if the books are not at least in bags, i dont look. There is this big dealer that sets up at the Charlotte show I go to, most of the books he has are not even in bags, let alone bags and boards. The kicker is, he wanted $2 each for the books! 893naughty-thumb.gif

but when I asked to take them out of the bags to look closer the owner did it himself without removing the tape first.

I was almost "zapped" by a store owner in NJ when I was buying a Daredevil 160, and the tape caught on the book. My heart sank, as I could see even in the bag that it was a super high grade copy. Lucky, he was able to detach the book with no damage.

A month later, it got a 9.8 from CGC...and $316 on eBay! grin.gif

I was on a road trip once ( want say where to protect the dumb LCD) and I stoped in a LCD to feed my weekly adiction. While I was in their I noticed he had a DareDevil #1 white variant ( some new series I hadn't seen yet) on the wall behind him. Well I bought the book for like 5-8 bux just for extra reading material and I collected variants also. I never cared to check the book out and off I went. About 100 miles down the road in my hotel room I started reading my comics. As I slid this book out of it's sleeve I could slowly start to figure out what dirrection that store faced 893whatthe.gif On the sleeve was a pice of masking tape with the price on it and dirrectly under the sleeve was a very bright white square box part of the cover. Apparently those comic on his stand got a nice blast of sun each day as the rises screwy.gif I know I was a bit dumb for not really checking the book but I'm glad I didn't buy his ASM # 300 wink.gif

Well.. it is a COIN shop, so is that called a LCS too?

Either way, the dolt owner of this coin shop, also has an assortment of weird stuff.. Toys on the Card, Wheaties boxes, Sports Cards,etc.... and all of this is in a large window disply case.

Facing WEST foreheadslap.gif

Needless to say, everything is faded to a mild color of it's former self.

I went in and spoke with the owner, and said he might want to move those items, as the UV rays are killing them.

He gave me a.. confused-smiley-013.gif,, so I left him, to his coins and faded collectibles..

Ze-

Sorry to hear all the bad experiences. frown.gif

Allow me to relate a good one:

Every Thanksgiving the best comic shop in Maryland, Mark Nathan's Cards, Comics, and Collectibles , holds a huge sale. Accompanied by my trusty sidekicks, Lantern & Lantern-gal, we braved the tricky streets of Reisterstown and, after a short detour, arrived at our destination.

Every comic and comic related material is on sale. 50% off trades, 20% off new issues, 30% off Gold, Silver, and Bronze Age Books, and a whopping 70% off modern back issues!!!

For $98.81 I got the following:

Trade Paperbacks

-Walt Disney: Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas

-Walt Disney's Christmas Parade #2

-Green Lantern/Green Arrow (O'Neil/Adams) Vol. 1

-Green Lantern/Green Arrow (O'Neil/Adams) Vol. 2

-Death: The Time of Your Life

-Death: The High Cost of Living

-Sin City: Hell and Back

-3 Geeks: The Geeksville Years

Comics (all VF/NM - NM)

-100 Bullets #'s: 20, 22, 23, 25, 29, 30

-Sandman #'s: 50, 75

-The Goon #2

-From Hell Vol. 1 (1st printing)

-(Saga of the) Swamp Thing #'s: 41, 46, 47, 49, 54, 55, 56, 57

Related Items:

-100 Poly Bags (SA size)

-Sept. 2004 CBM

Needless to say I was very pleased with my purchase. smile.gif

I was also able to help Greggy out and picked him up Volume's 2, 3 , & 4 of "Y: The Last Man" for just over $20.

It was better than going to a con! 893applaud-thumb.gif

A while back I had a couple of 500 dollar books that I tried consigning at an LCS. I told the owner that I didn't want the books languishing on the wall under those long flourescent bulbs, which I could tell immediately ticked him off. My suggestion was to tack scans of the book up somewhere in the store with a price tag and if somebody was interested he could pull them out of the backroom for a closer look.

Well, I came back to the store about 10 days later to check in, and what do you know, I found my books on the very top of the wall. I had a fit. He just looked at me like I was insane, and couldn't understand my insistence. I immediately took my books home and called the whole thing off. Never went back there either, natch.

Ended up selling the books offline. I don't think the books were up on the wall long enough to incur serious light damage, but the fact that this guy was so blind to the possibility was astounding to me. Aren't comics supposed to be his BUSINESS??