• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

If anyone knows who these multiple pressers are, please post their identities so some of us can avoid buying from them.

I've already scratched Pedigree Comics off my list of potential sources. In fact, I'm actually close to not bidding in any more auctions where the consignors are anonymous.

YAY!!! less competition.

The short version for you typing challenged is PITIP - Press it till it pops

I take PITI(P) on the fool that presses the book more than once! lol

But I call BS...Buried Staple, or maybe PBS...PeekaBoo Staple. Now you see it, now you don't. :shy:

Sort of like a prairie dogging staple.

If anyone knows who these multiple pressers are, please post their identities so some of us can avoid buying from them.

I've already scratched Pedigree Comics off my list of potential sources. In fact, I'm actually close to not bidding in any more auctions where the consignors are anonymous.

YAY!!! less competition.

You'd be better off trying to figure out who doesn't press many books. You'd narrow your dealer pool, but the reality is, better to buy mostly raw then. If you're trying to avoid multiple presses, many guys press more than once and have no idea they are doing it. Others press the same book multiple times in the first go around.

Nobody is going to publish a list that they can't substantiate. I'll put it this way, you're never going to really know for sure whether they did or didn't press or did it multiple times unless you take a look at it and decide whether you like the look of the book or not. Frankly, that's the way I bought books before CGC and after.

YAY!!! less competition.

You'd be better off trying to figure out who doesn't press many books. You'd narrow your dealer pool, but the reality is, better to buy mostly raw then. If you're trying to avoid multiple presses, many guys press more than once and have no idea they are doing it. Others press the same book multiple times in the first go around.

Nobody is going to publish a list that they can't substantiate. I'll put it this way, you're never going to really know for sure whether they did or didn't press or did it multiple times unless you take a look at it and decide whether you like the look of the book or not. Frankly, that's the way I bought books before CGC and after.

While totally agreeing with your comment, it is difficult when the book is not in hand. Often, the 'flatness' of the book cannot be ascertained from scans.

YAY!!! less competition.

While totally agreeing with your comment, it is difficult when the book is not in hand. Often, the 'flatness' of the book cannot be ascertained from scans.

I think asking for a closer look at the staples via scans is going to be a must going forward. If CGC is not downgrading for what is obviously an unattractive error, then you need to do your own checking.

So you're going to ask dealers to get even closer looks at staples by what, asking them to take digital pics as well?

You guys are making it even easier for many collectors to get first look at collections and new material.

So you're going to ask dealers to get even closer looks at staples by what, asking them to take digital pics as well?

You guys are making it even easier for many collectors to get first look at collections and new material.

Don't you normally look over a comic book before purchasing, even if it is in a CGC holder? Trusting the CGC label is not a guarantee of anything any more.

Naturally, the amount of scrutiny you give a book depends on age, cost, etc. But since most CGC books are costing multiple of guide for the raw equivalent, it behooves the purchaser to do more than just ask what the CGC label says.

To me, this is unfortunate. CGC could stand for competently grade comics and integrity. I use to have faith in them and the process. But the more I see and hear, the less confident I am to plop down multiples of raw for CGC graded comics. I myself have received too many CGC graded comics that were graded loosely to have faith in them.

I think competition for CGC would go a long way to restoring integrity to graded comics.

Don't you normally look over a comic book before purchasing, even if it is in a CGC holder? Trusting the CGC label is not a guarantee of anything any more.

Here's what I'm alluding to. Of course, if you buy it in hand, you're going to get to inspect it up close. But many folks complain about the "high prices" dealers charge at conventions (which isn't necessarily true) on slabs. But then folks want to buy on the internet, but will want up close pictures beyond scans, and then they're going to expect big discounts.

If you're wondering why these people never get first shot at new books or collections, this is why. Bob always alludes to the fact that everyone criticizes dealers around here, but there's plenty of bad or PIA customers. This is the kind of stuff where people go overboard with paranoia and checking out every single book for every possible press problem and then trying to figure it out. Bottom line is if this bothered you, you should have always been inspecting the books in the holder for these types of defects.

Frankly, if you don't like CGC or their inconsistency etc., then as consumers, start stepping up and paying CGC prices for raw books. Guess what, problem solved in terms of the "problems with CGC". After years of saying this same statement, we have more people than ever slabbing books and buying slabs.

I always look a book over, but if I buy it over the internet, it is what it is. When I get it, I probably pay a little less, but there's some issues with flying a little blind unless you get scans like Heritage or Greg Reece have.

YAY!!!!!, again.

Naturally, the amount of scrutiny you give a book depends on age, cost, etc. But since most CGC books are costing multiple of guide for the raw equivalent, it behoves the purchaser to do more than just ask what the CGC label says.

To me, this is unfortunate. CGC could stand for competently grade comics and integrity. I use to have faith in them and the process. But the more I see and hear, the less confident I am to plop down multiples of raw for CGC graded comics. I myself have received too many CGC graded comics that were graded loosely to have faith in them.

Simple solution. Stop buying CGC books. As I said, pay dealers CGC type numbers for raw books. I do this all the time. And I get the books before they ever see a press (or at least I don't think so). I'm aggressive, pay aggressive numbers. The dealers are delighted to sell me these books raw at very small discounts, and I get super high end raw books that look spectacular. And they save the time and trouble grading. But they tell me that very few collectors step and pay these kinds of prices.

A CGC label is an opinion of grade with a really good restoration check. If you want a guarantee of eye appeal, well that is never what a CGC label was to begin with. If you buy in person you can judge eye appeal and see what else might be going on, but over the internet you have to rely on scans. But nobody is forcing you to buy a book because it has a particular label.

A CGC label is an opinion of grade with a really good restoration check. If you want a guarantee of eye appeal, well that is never what a CGC label was to begin with. If you buy in person you can judge eye appeal and see what else might be going on, but over the internet you have to rely on scans. But nobody is forcing you to buy a book because it has a particular label.

So, you are saying you agree with me? Got it. (thumbs u

Naturally, the amount of scrutiny you give a book depends on age, cost, etc. But since most CGC books are costing multiple of guide for the raw equivalent, it behooves the purchaser to do more than just ask what the CGC label says.

I think competition for CGC would go a long way to restoring integrity to graded comics.

is anybody else out there having this "cgc books get multiples of raw prices" problem? tho' i surely see cgc books with a bit of a price-bump on them vis-a-vis a raw book, this "multiples" thing is completely foreign to me. and i shop lots of places for lots of books.

is anybody else out there having this "cgc books get multiples of raw prices" problem? tho' i surely see cgc books with a bit of a price-bump on them vis-a-vis a raw book, this "multiples" thing is completely foreign to me. and i shop lots of places for lots of books.

For 9.6/9.8 it's certainly true. You do get a multiple -- because selling a raw 9.8 is pretty difficult I don't care who you are and how you grade.

I don't.

CGC pricing has always been about the customer standing in front of you.

They will use GPA, Overstreet, Ebay, Comiclink, Comicpriceguide.com, prices at another dealers booth. Over time all I've found is that the dealer has to find a "fair" price for the book the customer is looking at. When a customer points everything that is "wrong" with the book I'm wondering why are you even looking at it? Some books are easy to sell, if they talked to me sublimely I could tell everything that was done to them over their lifetime. Or do buyers want sellers to tell them that the book is a POS which is sometimes what I think.

I don't.

CGC pricing has always been about the customer standing in front of you.

They will use GPA, Overstreet, Ebay, Comiclink, Comicpriceguide.com, prices at another dealers booth. Over time all I've found is that the dealer has to find a "fair" price for the book the customer is looking at. When a customer points everything that is "wrong" with the book I'm wondering why are you even looking at it? Some books are easy to sell, if they talked to me sublimely I could tell everything that was done to them over their lifetime. Or do buyers want sellers to tell them that the book is a POS which is sometimes what I think.

I did that once.

So, you are saying you agree with me? Got it. (thumbs u

I don't recall a CGC label ever being a guarantee of eye appeal. I'd need to be clear what you think has changed as far as a "CGC label is not a guarantee of anything any more" before I'd know if we agree.

Simple solution. Stop buying CGC books. As I said, pay dealers CGC type numbers for raw books. I do this all the time. And I get the books before they ever see a press (or at least I don't think so). I'm aggressive, pay aggressive numbers. The dealers are delighted to sell me these books raw at very small discounts, and I get super high end raw books that look spectacular. And they save the time and trouble grading. But they tell me that very few collectors step and pay these kinds of prices.

(thumbs u