• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole Schave collection: face jobs?

4,963 posts in this topic

Timely stated a couple of pages back that the labels now say "comic professionals" instead of graders - I honestly don't care what the wording is, but a quick glance at the last box of books I got from CGC produced labels that all say "graders" and have a copyright date of 2006 (cue jokes about how slow the grading really is) :shrug:

These labels are from books I received back 3 days ago - they say "graders" as well :shrug:

cgc-label-back.jpg

cgc-label-ss-back.jpg

hm I can swear I saw posts that stated it was now 2 "professional" instead graders. They could have changed back.

If they are using defective wells, then do you really think that they will throw out old labels?

These labels are from books I received back 3 days ago - they say "graders" as well :shrug:

cgc-label-back.jpg

cgc-label-ss-back.jpg

hm I can swear I saw posts that stated it was now 2 "professional" instead graders. They could have changed back.

If they are using defective wells, then do you really think that they will throw out old labels?

Holy mind meld. I typed out the exact response, but decided I couldn't be bothered anymore and didn't hit submit.

If we keep this thread going, more collectors like the following will see it.

I'm a returning collector after a 30 plus year break, so I'm a newb to the current scene, but not to human nature, and all the underhanded stuff people get up to, especially if it means a few extra dollars in their pocket.

I have trouble believing that CGC doesn't know which books Matt has worked on, and which he hasn't.

Especially when you see these ugly press jobs getting grade bumps.

It seems like they(CGC) want to set the expectation that if you use their pressing service, you will automatically get a grade bump.

I have no idea what really goes on at their offices, I'm just saying how it looks to a casual observer in this thread.

Bottom line for me, I wouldn't use CGC pressing service even if it does mean an automatic grade bump, because I don't like how the books look afterward.

We must continue this thread until grading like the following is addressed.....

TOS-40-PC-compare-1.jpg

Hmmm, not only does the book have damage at the upper staple that wasn't there before, but since the spine isn't as tight to the interior as it used to be, the interior pages are now protruding from the bottom of the front cover (or perhaps the spine has been twisted by the shoddy press job?). With the pages shifted downward, that stand-at-attention-like-a-teenage-boy-reading-his-1st-Playboy top edge is even more prone to Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS), I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of something like this on a 5-figure book. :o

SCS1.jpg

FYI, I have FINALLY read through the entire thread. I will be speaking with CGC/CCS this week to ascertain where things stand.

In the meantime, to facilitate any discussions I might have it would be helpful for those who believe there are questions outstanding to specifically list what they would like to see answered.

I will post a follow-up in the thread after the appropriate conversations.

FYI, I have FINALLY read through the entire thread. I will be speaking with CGC/CCS this week to ascertain where things stand.

In the meantime, to facilitate any discussions I might have it would be helpful for those who believe there are questions outstanding to specifically list what they would like to see answered.

Mark, thanks.

- I would request that CCS stop the production of shrinking covers. Period.

- I would like to see the Reverse Spine Roll discouraged through stricter CGC grading, not just in the uber grades, but all grades.

- I would like to see staple tears graded more harshly.

Other than that, life is good.

hahahahaha

I would also like for CGC to pay my rent!

I would also like for CCS to give me a cold Dr Pepper right now

I would like to see CGC not grade so harsh on defects on my books

I'd love to here an explanation as to how an in-house restoration service does not create a conflict of interest with the parent grading company. :foryou:

I'd love to here an explanation as to how an in-house restoration service does not create a conflict of interest with the parent grading company. :foryou:

zzz

I strongly suspect that some people are more 'lucky' to get, for example, 9.6 grades instead of 9.2 grades when submitting to CGC.

A major client who submits truckloads for slabbing is someone CGC probably wants to make happy.

I am not suggesting an 8.0 becomes a 9,6, but a 9.2 might - if submitted by the right people.

zzz

Sorry I'm boring you, but I thought CGC was supposed to protect consumers from paper mechanics.

Maybe address this issue since it appears the masses are sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches.

Thanks Mark. (thumbs u

We would like to see CGC start telling the truth about the pre-grading processing activities (pressing, dry-cleaning, etc.) they do on books before grading them by providing this information on the label. This will help address the issue that Matt Nelson is concerned about, namely, that re-pressing a book may damage it (as evidenced by this thread). Fortunately, since they do the work themselves, they don't have to "detect" or "guess" whether the book has been worked on.

Maybe address this issue since it appears the masses are sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches.

This is what happens when you have a monopoly on something(in this case, 3rd party grading)

CGC guarantees the case to be free of defects

CGC decides what is a defect and what isn't (how convenient)

Consumer doesn't like it, they can pound sand, because where else are they going to go?

Constanza cover, puddle/ripple on the inner well, we don't care, we're to busy driving truckloads of money to the bank.

(this is the impression I'm starting to get)

I'm glad to see you post, Mark.

Here is a quick list ...I may remember more later;)

At the time that these books were supmitted was someone notified in this specific case by the people (graders or professionals) that there were a lot of books with an unusual appearance?

Why the change from 3 to 2 people looking at the books?

Will CGC hire more people and go back to 3 graders looking at the books.

What is the difference between a "grader" and a :"professional"

What is the current policy, what is on the website or what is on the label?

What kind of training are the people looking at the books getting, and how long does it take to become a person who decides the grade?

Why were some of the books submitted from this specific group given upgrades when they looked worse?

Will CGC make a change in their stance on "manufacturing defects" grading books as they appear in front of the "graders" rather than guess that the book looks this way because of something that happened in a factory?

What is the current stance on archival tape? (sorry, this one is from another thread)

When CCS works on a book, will CGC note that on the label?

Since the graders enter their notes into a computer now (and they should be easy to access) will CGC reconsider their stance on providing access to the graders notes at least to the submitter of the book, or even better members who pay to join the society?

Specifically regarding the Reverse Spine Roll (RSR) books, why does introducing a new, non-production, book length crease have the potential to raise the grade when a book length crease anyplace else would hammer said grade? If the back and front covers are graded equally then shifting spine stress should not matter.

For this thread it seems to boil down to a single question...

How will CGC de-incentivize‎ damaging books to get better grade-labels?

(assuming they would want to)

Lots of details around how damage manifests, adding faux-spine booklength creases, maverick staples and paper tearing, 'shrunken' cover effect., but the reason is singular: There's a potential payoff from CGC for the effort.

For this thread it seems to boil down to a single question...

How will CGC de-incentivize‎ damaging books to get better grade-labels?

(assuming they would want to)

Lots of details around how damage manifests, adding faux-spine booklength creases, maverick staples and paper tearing, 'shrunken' cover effect., but the reason is singular: There's a potential payoff from CGC for the effort.

Or, to put it a bit more to the point...

When will CGC value their reputation and the long-term health of the hobby more than their bottom line?

hahahahaha

I would also like for CGC to pay my rent!

I would also like for CCS to give me a cold Dr Pepper right now

I would like to see CGC not grade so harsh on defects on my books

:gossip: We're trying to accomplish something here. Productive comments would be appreciated.