• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Now we know the real reason why Comic-Keys was banned from doing business with CGC and participating on these boards: CGC was planning to gain a monopoly situation in the "restoration without detection" part of the market and didn't want Comic-Keys to impinge on their share of this VERY LUCRATIVE market.

Oh God.

COI;

I think you missed my point here. This last sentence of my blurb was to be taken with a sense of humour and meant to lighten up the issue a bit.

Forgot to add on some additional 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif buttons.

That's a relief. With all the hysteria flying around here, I'm half expecting everyone to start believing stuff like that.

Apparently there is a notion that all books can be pressed into higher grades, and that simply is not true. Each book is different.

True but apparently there's enough upgradeable books out there for someone at CGC to comptemplate quitting and starting their own company...

Jim

Yep.

That makes no sense. Unless the book is a 10, every book is upgradeable. That doesn't that book can be upgraded or is worth upgrading. Until all the information is presented, you FDQ's are all jumping at shadows.

As far as how can the collector cast his vote when he does not know if a book has been pressed or not? Just don't buy the book. Or don't buy the CGC book. CGC will fail, pressers will go out of business and prices will fall. It's the nature of things.

The problem isn't that people who may or may not buy CGC services or products in the future based on this new change in their company practices, it is those who have ALREADY bought CGC services and products before this policy is implimented and have a substantial investment that may go up in smoke because CGCs credibility is now suspect. Anyone who now owns CGC'd comics have a stake in this proposed venture which is why feelings are so strong against this proposed plan by CGC. If I were a business (in this case CGC) I would listen to my customers, but that is just me. confused-smiley-013.gif

That makes no sense. Unless the book is a 10, every book is upgradeable. That doesn't that book can be upgraded or is worth upgrading. Until all the information is presented, you FDQ's are all jumping at shadows.

What? Do you need someone to walk you through the process? Enough info has been presented on this subject for a person to make an opinion. You will never get "all" the info on any subject. Ever.

So what exactly doesn't make sense? Chris is leaving CGC to start his own resto/pressing company. CCG wants to pull Chris' business under their umbrella. Must be enough business out there or, who knows, maybe they all are business illiterate and fools.

Well...they are fools for even contemplating this money grab at the expense of the hobby in my opinion but that wasn't your question...

Jim

Apparently there is a notion that all books can be pressed into higher grades, and that simply is not true. Each book is different.

True but apparently there's enough upgradeable books out there for someone at CGC to comptemplate quitting and starting their own company...

Jim

Yep.

FDQ? Not me. Just pointing out that no one knows better than Chris Friesen how many books can be upgraded without getting the purple label. If the number weren't high enough to keep a separate company in business for a good long time, he and CGC probably wouldn't be talking about it right now.

Jim

Yep.

Plus, it still isn't clear exactly what Chris' "service" will encompass. Everyone is just assuming it's going to be strictly a pressing factory. If the guy is skilled, he'll be able to make money doing the same type of preservation services already provided by Matt Nelson and Susan G. But since everyone wants to assume the worst, they're also going to assume that there's enough money in pressing to make Chris, CGC, and CCG a goldmine. That's a lot of pressing!

It's apparent your mind is made up Jim, nothing will sway you from your opinion. So presenting anything other that what you feel is correct would be a waste of time.

COI, I agree. Until I hear all the facts I am not going to go around blasting CGC for a decision they have not made yet. It just doesn't make sense.

Everyone is just assuming it's going to be strictly a pressing factory.

I don't think anyone's said that. He could be a first class restorer. It's the pressing aspect of restoration AND CGC's encouragement to use Chris that's the issue...

Jim

I re-read Steve's post and still do not understand where you guys come up with the idea that Chris is going to start a restoration service. There is nothing to indicate that this is the case.

I re-read Steve's post and still do not understand where you guys come up with the idea that Chris is going to start a restoration service. There is nothing to indicate that this is the case.

Exactly. With all the nervous Nelly's in here...I hope none of them own a BB gun.

They'd be almost guaranteed to shoot their eye out with every shot. foreheadslap.gif

It's apparent your mind is made up Jim, nothing will sway you from your opinion. So presenting anything other that what you feel is correct would be a waste of time.

I don't know...I've changed my opinion many times during my time on this Forum to include CGC not being the "end all be all evil entity to the hobby" when I arrived here (which is starting to like I was right). So give me solid facts and I'll look at them fairly.

In my opinion though from what I seen and read during the last week, there would have to be some huge backstepping and spin control/contrition from CGC for me to even reconsider...

Jim

Books submitted to CGC will not be evaluated for the service that Chris’s new venture will provide and Chris will not send his customers’ books to CGC once his work is finished. Nor can books be transferred between companies as they are not one and the same. The comic or comics will go directly back to the customer, not to CGC. Nobody who uses the service Chris provides will be told to send their books to CGC. Will we recommend Chris when people ask? Of course, but we would do that anyway. Chris is the best at what he does, that is why we hired him in the first place.

What else would he be doing? confused.gif

I don't know...I've changed my opinion many times during my time on this Forum to include CGC not being the "end all be all evil entity to the hobby" when I arrived here (which is starting to like I was right). So give me solid facts and I'll look at them fairly.

In my opinion though from what I seen and read during the last week, there would have to be some huge backstepping and spin control/contrition from CGC for me to even reconsider...

Jim

why? They haven't done anything to jeapordize the hobby at all. everyone is assuming Freisen will startup a restoration company. Steve made no mention of this at all. So why do they need to recind their statement?

What kind of service do you think he's going to start? Contracted slab service? Which when you think about it might not be a bad idea...

Jim

...and I'm starting to see you as a sycophant

Hardly. I'm but a speck on the collecting map. I have nothing to gain either way.

I'm FAR from being a BSD.

I think I have a pair for telling all the doomsdayers what I think.

And that is you're all crying over nothing.

I'm in an overwhelming minority here. smirk.gif

If you want to pack your bags and leave the hobby because the financial house of cards seems shaky, then you're not in it for the right reasons.

So don't let the door hit 'ya, where the lord split 'ya. hi.gif

High end prices may get a bit of a correction. But it's a correction they needed in the first place. And a correction they would be getting sooner or later, no matter what CCG decides to do.

Borock states that “CCS”, who is the parent company of “CGC”, is considering the idea of starting another service that restores paper collectibles.

This company would offer all types of restoration. In no way did he imply that this was to be a “IHOP” that presses comic books.

They are not putting it in house with CGC. They will only be sister companies.

CCS, like any other company, is in business to make money.

They want to branch out into another area of the collectible market that will allow them to increase revenue.

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it.

A lot of people here are still riding the wave of Armageddon.

Nothing has changed with CGC. CGC will not be pressing comics.

CCS is offering a service that is already being offered by other people.

I say, go CCS! If that’s what you decide to do, then go for it.

It will not shake my confidence with CGC's services in the slightest. They will be the same as they were 6 months ago.

My comments on pressing?

If anyone here that has ever bought a back issue thinks they do not have a "key" or "high dollar" pressed comic in their collection, they would be fooling themselves.

Would the fact that you don’t know one of your books has been pressed make you love it any less?

If you are a true “purist” and don’t want pressed comics in your collection, you’d do yourself justice to sell all the books you didn’t personally buy off the newsstand. That’s the only way you can be true to yourself, and your collecting habits.

Pressing has been around for a lot longer than CGC has.

They can only suspect when a book has been pressed. In most cases, they can’t tell. So how do they identify them?

Nobody at this point in time can point out a pressed book with enough accuracy to be considered reliable in any sense of the word.

That is a fact.

All the whining and crying is not going to change it. We can either learn to live with it, or find something else to do with out time and money.

What’s sad to me is that the high-grade fanaticism that people have fallen into makes them think of their books as commodities instead of nostalgia.

What really gets me are people that will complain about pressing, but are somehow willing to rub a piece of Wonder Bread on their comics to clean them up.

How ironic is that?

I'll go on record as having no problem with a book that has been dry cleaned, or professionally pressed.

As you snuggle up to your old “high grade” comics tonight, remember to put your tooth under your pillow.

I’m sure the Tooth Fairy will bring your quarter as usual.

And when the great crash befalls us, PM me a list when you’re ready to sell.

The only people that stay through a crash are the ones that should have been there in the first place.

interesting comments and i REALLY love your closing sentence........ thumbsup2.gif

Books submitted to CGC will not be evaluated for the service that Chris’s new venture will provide and Chris will not send his customers’ books to CGC once his work is finished. Nor can books be transferred between companies as they are not one and the same. The comic or comics will go directly back to the customer, not to CGC. Nobody who uses the service Chris provides will be told to send their books to CGC. Will we recommend Chris when people ask? Of course, but we would do that anyway. Chris is the best at what he does, that is why we hired him in the first place.

What else would he be doing? confused.gif

Why is it not possible that Chris could be starting a authentication service? He would get collectibles, comics at first, and determine if they were authentic or fake. Eventually he would expand to sport cards or beanie babies or whatever. This would make sense for those collectors that do not want books encapsulated but do want restoration detection. This in turn may eleviate the workload at CGC for turntimes. This would also be benefical for the whole CCG operation because it would encompass all their collectibles.

...and I'm starting to see you as a sycophant

Hardly. I'm but a speck on the collecting map. I have nothing to gain either way.

I'm FAR from being a BSD.

I think I have a pair for telling all the doomsdayers what I think.

And that is you're all crying over nothing.

I'm in an overwhelming minority here. smirk.gif

I think he was talking to Sid. gossip.gif

Everyone is just assuming it's going to be strictly a pressing factory.

I don't think anyone's said that.

Jim

Jim, you said:

True but apparently there's enough upgradeable books out there for someone at CGC to contemplate quitting and starting their own company...

This implies that Chris is starting the company solely based on pressing candidates, which is why I made that comment.

It's the pressing aspect of restoration AND CGC's encouragement to use Chris that's the issue...

I understand, but until we get the full scoop on exactly what Chris will be doing, and until I see a direct correlation to this new business venture and CGC, I'm not going to make any rash decisions. Again, CCG's decisions should not reflect on CGC itself.