• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

It's business as usual for me, too. Today I got back 18 standards from Florida, and the grading still has its inconsistencies. Most disturbing was receiving a green 8.5 label on a book (for "staples cleaned") that was a resubmission of a book that had an old blue 9.0 label. 893whatthe.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

It's business as usual for me, too. Today I got back 18 standards from Florida, and the grading still has its inconsistencies. Most disturbing was receiving a green 8.5 label on a book (for "staples cleaned") that was a resubmission of a book that had an old blue 9.0 label. 893whatthe.gif

popcorn.gif

Pick your battles Chris.

angel.gif

Promise?

FFB,- I wasn't comparing/contrasting anything.It was a pure hypothetical question.How would people feel if one of CGCs main graders were to quit and become a dealer.No hidden agenda.Would you accept his grades as if they were

straight out of Sarasota?Would you be concerned about seling to him?

This tread has been way to on target and flameless.

I would expect that he would grade within a range similar to how CGC grades, so in a way, my answer to your first question is "yes" -- I would expect that in most cases, the books he sold to me would mirror CGC's grading criteria, with the implicit understanding that no one grades his own books the same as he does someone else's book.

But does that mean I would accept this hypothetical person's grades as gospel? No, I would not accept his grades as gospel any more than I accept CGC's as gospel. Would I trust his grading more than I would some other dealer whose grading I wasn't familiar with, or other dealers whose grading I am familiar with but do not typically agree with? ABSOLUTELY. I would happily buy comics from any dealer who was a former CGC grader because I'd know that he was a highly trained grader and restoration detection expert (as most of the guys at CGC are at this point).

Would I be concerned about selling to him? Of course not. Why would I? screwy.gif

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif
popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Detecting pressing reliably clearly isn't the only important "restoration detection" issue at hand. To wit:

659039-FF10labels.jpg

The burn for me is that I bought the book as a blue label. Before anyone asks, it was cracked open shortly after purchase, something I did to the first 20 or so slabs I bought. And no, I most assuredly did not alter the book it any way, shape, or form.

There's no way CGC can reliably detect pressing with any fairness/consistency. Which is one reason why they should not explicitly bless it by starting a restoration service under the CCG corporate umbrella.

659039-FF10labels.jpg.04383ac1591156ccedf4ab6e6e3ce841.jpg

and let's not forget that the likely preponderence of HG books out there CANNOT be improved via pressing. only a small percentage of defects can be improved by pressing.

Hey Harry,

This part of your post reminded me of something that I have been meaning to say but keep forgetting while watching heads explode around here. 27_laughing.gif What you say here is absolutely true for ultra high grade books, but it becomes far less true for mid-grade and high-midgrade books. (Say from the 5.5 to 9.0 area.) Matt Nelson told me point blank once that NDP will often help a book in the mid-grade area improve at least a little bit, and sometimes a lot. For high dollar books (take an AF#15 in 6.0 with a lot of non-color-breaking surface impressions/thumb/reading dimples for example) it is absolutely worth it from a financial perspective to perform NDP on the book if removing non-color-breaking dimples, etc., will jump the book up to a 7.0 or even a 7.5. Lost amid all of the discussion about the tiny fraction of uber-high-grade books that might go from 9.6 to 9.8 is the fact that a lot of the real money to be made via NDP is in pressing high-dollar, mid-grade books.

foreheadslap.gif

Detecting pressing reliably clearly isn't the only important "restoration detection" issue at hand. To wit:

How do we KNOW you didn't clean the staples before resubmitting it and that the book didn't receive some damage on its way back to CGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You don't KNOW. All you can do is take my word that I know. Now buzz off.

Looks like finding a pressing candidate isn't as easy as it looks.

devil.gifpoke2.gif

Sorry man, I shouldn't joke.

659039-FF10labels.jpg

The burn for me is that I bought the book as a blue label. Before anyone asks, it was cracked open shortly after purchase, something I did to the first 20 or so slabs I bought. And no, I most assuredly did not alter the book it any way, shape, or form.

There's no way CGC can reliably detect pressing with any fairness/consistency. Which is one reason why they should not explicitly bless it by starting a restoration service under the CCG corporate umbrella.

Any chance the book was switched before you bought it in the blue slab?

I doubt it, Red, but can't rule it out completely (hey, I'm a scientist). There aren't that many high grade FF10s laying around, for one thing. For another, for every slab I've cracked open, I've found the posts to be strongly closed - they make a loud crack when they are broken, hence the term "cracking open". Also, I've never found an inner well that was not completely heat-sealed.

Can't disprove it, but it seems extremely unlikely. Far more likely is that either (1) they missed the cleaned staples on the first go-round, or (2) the staples have not been cleaned.

I think he was talking to Sid. gossip.gif

Beyonder, first Garth was not refering to me with that statement.

Second, if YOU consider me a sycophant (a suck-up, I guess) just because I have stated that I support CGC's possible decision, then I consider you immature. Reason being, that just because I may be in the minority with my viewpoint, that I am doing this for some kind of approval, or pat on the back from CGC, then you have not read (or comprehended) my very clear reasons previously stated for why I feel this way. Does everyone that does not agree with you, or is in the minority here have some kind of problem? Agree or not, we all have equal opinions and NONE are better, or more correct than any others. And I for one FULLY respect anyone's opinion that is different from mine----Sid

Sid's right - the 'sycophant' comment was not directed at him. I don't think Sid's a sycophant, I like Sid and respect him as a person. But I do think he's somewhat misguided on this point...only time will tell.