• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

Hey clown, where's the arrival date?

Go back up and look again. I fixed it. foreheadslap.gif

The "88" in the M was erased.

(Dry erasure isn't considered restoration.)

do you think that means folks here should/would be more accepting of dry erasure than NDP??

shouldn't they be viewed equally?? ie., both were meant to "alter" the book, even though in both cases, nothing original was added or taken away. and do they not consider it resto just because, or because it can't be detected???

FFB, do you have any other examples of "alteration" where CGC doesn't consider it resto?? (other than those GA books that have either minor amount of glue or minor color-touch). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The only "alteration" that I know of that CGC does not consider to be "restoration" are NDP, dry erasure, and deacidification (which doesn't change the appearance of the book -- it just raises the pH of the paper thus making it less acidic). CGC considers minor glue or color touch on pre-1950 books to be restoration -- they just don't give the book a purple label if the glue or CT is extremely minor and if the book would achieve the same grade without the glue or CT.

I don't have any pictorial examples of past C&P books from Heritage. Hammer has been cataloging a ton of them for his "upcoming" book. Just search over his posts on CPG since last February. (As I recall, there were about three or four books that he specified, although I think one of them was the infamous Batman #11.) Or email him and ask him.

Well, let's see CGC started in 1999, Chris has been doing restoration CHECKS, NOT restoration WORK since 1999. Amazing that somebody can still be "great" after not doing restoration work for 5 years.

Good point, Bob, and one that I made some 25 pages ago in this thread and was summarily mocked by Lord Rahl. I too think it's odd that his expertise would be in such demand after sitting on a shelf for 5 years. Of course, the aspect of his expertise that is 'freshest' - and coincidentally, most in demand, I believe - is in the area of "non-detectable restoration" such as pressing.

Chris is moving from a monotonous job to a boring one - only explanation is, "there's gold in them thar 7.5s !"

How do you guys know how Chris spends his spare time, and his time at home? Don't you think he may have kept his skills fresh by doing some personal restoration jobs at home, just for his own personal use? I'm a musician but I have not always been in a band. I have taken years off from being active a couple times. But during those times I still take plenty of time to practice my craft on my own at home so as not to lose it or get rusty. Other artists will understand this. My bet is that Chris has fully maintained all his skills on his own time. ----Sid

Church%20resubs.png

wow thats one loooong list of improved books!!! great work Arty! When was the list made, and is it updated as we go along?

now I wish someone would devote the time to dig up all the before and after scans... This is proof of books that were 'magically improved the second time around... I'd like to see a Silver Age list too, since, I assume, many of us are very worried about those books as much i fnot more than these GAs. And werent many of these pedigrees that were bumped back in line gradewise with the rest of those collections??

The list also makes me wonder if these were primarily from one consigner... and just how many dealers etc are practicing the mystic arts of pressing.... or just a few specific offenders???

Sometimes I like to light my farts on fire.

1961 was the most recent year that could be written both upside-down and rightside-up and appear the same. The next year that this will be possible will be 6009!

Does 2002 count? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yep...at least I think so...Also I think that 2112 is a lot closer than 6009...but that might just be me...

foreheadslap.gif Not the same backwards and forwards, but the same UPSIDE-DOWN as it is RIGHTSIDE-UP!

Well I don't know about all of this, but you better be damn sure you're upside down when you light those suckers or you could have a "forest" fire on your hands.......or some place.

1961 was the most recent year that could be written both upside-down and rightside-up and appear the same. The next year that this will be possible will be 6009!

yep...at least I think so...Also I think that 2112 is a lot closer than 6009...but that might just be me...

foreheadslap.gif Not the same backwards and forwards, but the same UPSIDE-DOWN as it is RIGHTSIDE-UP!

Well I don't know about all of this, but you better be damn sure you're upside down when you light those suckers or you could have a "forest" fire on your hands.......or some place.

I've never done it.

Is it better to shave first? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just looking at the Heritage archives, it looks like the All Star #33 was just undergraded the first time, and maybe a little overgraded the second time. The book looks exactly the same in the 7.5 slab as it does in the 6.0 slab.

I've never done it.

Dice, you're from Oklahoma. I know you're lying. poke2.gif

No but the way Marvel writes "NEW X-MEN" on the spine of it's TPBs looks the same if you flip it over. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've never done it.

Dice, you're from Oklahoma. I know you're lying. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gifyay.gif

The Sparkler Comics #3, on the other hand, was clearly pressed. Look at the back cover. foreheadslap.gif

I found the 9.2 scan but not the improved version...

Search "sparkler comics 3 mile" and arrange by grades from high to low.