• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Answer from CGC.........

1,346 posts in this topic

wowv- just made it through the most recent 10 pages or so - fascinating stuff, as always.

and pretty grown-up and intelligent conversations so far - i mean some REALLY good stuff in here, so let's not start getting pissy boys............... grin.gif

we have to try and keep open minds and just agree to disagree at some point - but no flaming, please?? flowerred.gif

I suppose I should be able to go to someone's doctor and get his medical history.

I need to know what kind of meds some of you are on.

It's my right to know.

While I'm at it, I want everyone's social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account info, and the name of the last public place you pinched a loaf.

It's my right to know.

You're all screwy.gif

The more you guys whine, the more screwy.gif you all become.

Dice, why don't you just recuse yourself from this one. We know how you feel. It's getting kinda tedious fielding your non-content exaggerated carping. It's easy to take potshots, and contribute nothing. You're the guy thats been doing the whining.

I make *one* potshot in this sea of tittie milk, and *I* am whining?

27_laughing.gif

I've had my say on the topic. You know where I stand.

And everyone knows where you guys stand. So why should I shaddap, when you guys cry and bellyache for pages on end?

When this mindless drivel turned down the path it was on, I felt the need to make a comment.

Apparently, you can't handle the truth. shy.gif

Steve, feel free to share with us your list of important topics.......and just because you get befuddled by the nuances here, doesn't mean it's drivel.

So what should we talk about...the latest Ghost Rider sculpts? Lead on!

No interesting thread on the boards is complete without you coming in from the peanut gallery and telling us we're all nuts. It's actually kind of an endearing quality, in a sad kind of way. flowerred.gif

Come on, Kenny. Brad and Dice have been fighting for over ten minutes now and you still haven't thrown your hat into the ring. What are you waiting for?

Brad and Dice have been fighting for over ten minutes now and you still haven't thrown your hat into the ring. What are you waiting for?

They both need a good fisting. poke2.gif

Steve, feel free to share with us your list of important topics.......and just because you get befuddled by the nuances here, doesn't mean it's drivel.

So what should we talk about...the latest Ghost Rider sculpts? Lead on!

No interesting thread on the boards is complete without you coming in from the peanut gallery and telling us we're all nuts. It's actually kind of an endearing quality, in a sad kind of way. flowerred.gif

Sorry, Brad. I'm not as interesting as you are. I'll work on my future contributions, so I can be as smart and popular as you are.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the event, and we can hold hands and sing "We are the world".

What a you're turning into.

Does it take work, or does it come natural with your mental masterbation of a personality?

flowerred.gif

and pretty grown-up and intelligent conversations so far - i mean some REALLY good stuff in here, so let's not start getting pissy boys............... grin.gif

we have to try and keep open minds and just agree to disagree at some point - but no flaming, please?? flowerred.gif

I'm surprised at the continued intelligent discourse as well. We were well into a massive flame war by this time last go around... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Look just copy and paste your "You guys are screwy.gif" post, then you'll have it handy for all future uses. Don't tax yourself.

Here's something for you to look at while we continue the discussion in this thread. Look at the monkey Steve, look at the monkey!

insane.gif

rider.jpg

The thing is, none of us knows why comicwiz's book warped in the slab. It's possible that it wasn't pressed at all and just warped for some other reason such as humidity. Or perhaps the warping was the result of the way the inner well film warps in some holders? We don't know. comicwiz didn't press that book though, so he's only guessing about reversion. Every professional I've spoken to says that reversion is not a problem if the pressing is done correctly.

Just to elaborate on this point, it was 3 books which all came from the same source. I had purchased a complete (or near complete -- can't recall if I was missing a few issues) run of Byrne X-Men and only those 3 books warped. The books ranged between 9.0 - 9.6 and they were purchased already CGC graded. The books were stored (and still are) in a climate controlled room in a cedar chest which houses over 650 slabs. The books range from GA to BA, and none of the books in that chest exhibit any warping.

I could accept the warped cell/film inner well theory in some cases, but in this case, my initial hunch that these books may have originally come from some sort of warehouse find were confirmed much later by the person I had purchased them from. According to this person, the dealer he had originally bought the books from had sold them to him bagged and boarded, and when he examined them before submitting the books, he noticed that on those three particular issue, there was warping at the top edge. He decided to opt for pressing the warping out as the books exhibited no other defect and were otherwise NM candidates. The fact that they reversed more than likely has to do with with the fact that the person performing the work was an amateur.

And I'll agree that this is far from being enough evidence to point to any epidemic of NDP books reverting, however the thing that has concerned me most about my experience is the following; i) these books were purchased now nearly 4 years ago and the warping didn't start to reveal itself until 2 years after I purchased them; ii) that the person resorted to basement pressing because either there weren't any services offering this type of work or the return on pressing a Byrne X-Men book just couldn't justify the expense of having it done professionally; and iii) that the problems with the books were not disclosed at the time of sale. Points ii) and iii) being the most troubling because although we do have options today as opposed to 4 years ago with regard to choosing pro's to do the work, the cost to have the work performed sometimes doesn't justify the necessity for certain books, and impacts the profit margin on the flip.

Between shipping the book to a secret location, having the book evaluated, and either returned (if its not press-worthy or if the grade increase potential is non-existent) or the book is pressed, and sent back to the person or directly to CGC HQ, the costs between pressing and grading could add up. If the trend is that the sellers with the most insiatable appetite for profit would sooner engage in amatuer pressing methods as opposed to having the work performed by a pro to garner the most return on the flip, then the issue of reverting may well be a bigger concern than most people are willing to accept. In such a case, the burden of proof is not found in any effort to collect information of specific examples of books reverting (because by the time the info is collected the sellers made off with the money) but rather that such sellers ought to be compelled to engage in full disclosure.

Ditto!

I got to get into the pressing machine busness... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif