• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

captainobvious.jpg

Apparently things in this thread weren't so obvious to most people.

It's amazing how complex a simple thing can become if someone chooses to break it down that way.

Now that is clever! (thumbs u

Watson taking notes from me. Who'd have thunk it?

CGC has always been getting a piece via resubmissions. Is it really pressers who call most of the time for notes? I've called many times, and every time it was so I knew more about an expensive book I was in the market to buy, so all this change does for people like me is cost me money and me off. :mad:

+1

captainobvious.jpg

Apparently things in this thread weren't so obvious to most people.

It's amazing how complex a simple thing can become if someone chooses to break it down that way.

Some people will never "get" it even if it's spelled out for them.

:eyeroll:

the appraiser analogy is not completely fair, thoufgh its sounds perfect.

IF a house appraiser need only come up with a grade from 1 to 10.0 the analogy would be perfect. But the appraisers product that you are buying IS the notes in a full report, flaw by flaw.

We have always just bough the NUMBER, and occasionally became curious about the notes after the fact.

2 different products.

if Cgc (um, THE CGC) had been selling us a written description of the flaws of our books then we might own those notes/descriptions. But they have stated for a decade that we would get a GRADE not a description of how they determined that grade.

I cant tell if you guys really believe you have been buying the notes all along, or just arguing as such to negotiate with CGC? In any case, lets have some lawyers chime in. We might need them if you think this is the best approach.

What the are me and Transplant, chopped liver? Maybe you can get FFB or tth2 to chime in and they will have the chops you require.

Your hoo-ha is showing.

lol I vajayjay is inflamed because I have been trying to cancel my home phone long distance service for the last hour. I haven't used it since 2008, but have been paying $40 a month. They have sent me to three levels of supervisors to get me to switch my local to them. I can't cancel the account!!! :ohnoez:

It might be cheaper to bundle your long distance with your dial-up. Make a note on your palm pilot.

I miss my Palm Pilot. Now i have a Blackberry and am equally scorned by the Iphone and droid contingents. Like I'm not dorky enough for collecting comics. :P

2003calendarSmall.gif

WTF are we talking about here?

:)

Adopting the every penny counts motto, apparently CGC has now resorted to crowding the boards with ads as an ancillary revenue stream.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

The discussion of copyright and intellectual property is amusing, but seems to miss that "multiple spine stress lines" and "back cover corner crease" aren't original works that can be protected by copyright or intellectual property that can be protected by trademark or patent.

I agree--it's data. The owner of the book doesn't have a right to it either though.

The discussion of copyright and intellectual property is amusing, but seems to miss that "multiple spine stress lines" and "back cover corner crease" aren't original works that can be protected by copyright or intellectual property that can be protected by trademark or patent.

I agree--it's data. The owner of the book doesn't have a right to it either though.

Wow. You guys would not make great patent or IP lawyers. If drug companies can patent a natural. biological process, then I think I can copyright the description of the book I own. Especially true if I haven't make that description or viewing public. To just dismiss the idea that the owner of a copyright or some IP is without merit, simply because the IP or description or copyright is simplistic, is foolish. You're showing you don't really know what you're talking about.

Wow. You guys would not make great patent or IP lawyers. If drug companies can patent a natural. biological process, then I think I can copyright the description of the book I own. Especially true if I haven't make that description or viewing public. To just dismiss the idea that the owner of a copyright or some IP is without merit, simply because the IP or description or copyright is simplistic, is foolish. You're showing you don't really know what you're talking about.

Mike,

Why wasn't this bought up before money for grades was even introduced?

If you posted a scan of any of your books on these boards I can take YOUR CGC serial number and call CGC to find out the graders notes on YOUR book. (shrug)

I am obtaining personalized information on a book you currently own. So where was the outrage from day 1 then on this issue?

Trust me I see your point on a book you own with regards to CGC making extra free money on the back of your submission, but we both know you are being kinda extreme on the issue, no? This new service has no chance of being anything but a failed experiment by CGC that will not amount to anything. CGC looks at worst they are eliminating the extra phone calls per day they don't want to be bothered with anymore.

No CGC book is ever going to generate that kind of buzz to which it gathers many collectors, dealers, press whores, or investors together to spend hundreds of dollars on a single book let alone a book you own.

Plus for you to even get your panties into an uproar you have to leak the CGC serial number yourself in the first place for this in theory scenario to even take place.

I wrote down all of your names, and I'm going to sell the list of your names for $1 to every boardie that wants the list of your names....

Mike,

Why wasn't this bought up before money for grades was even introduced?

If you posted a scan of any of your books on these boards I can take YOUR CGC serial number and call CGC to find out the graders notes on YOUR book. (shrug)

I am obtaining personalized information on a book you currently own. So where was the outrage from day 1 then on this issue?

Trust me I see your point on a book you own with regards to CGC making extra free money on the back of your submission, but we both know you are being kinda extreme on the issue, no? This new service has no chance of being anything but a failed experiment by CGC that will not amount to anything. CGC looks at worst they are eliminating the extra phone calls per day they don't want to be bothered with anymore.

No CGC book is ever going to generate that kind of buzz to which it gathers many collectors, dealers, press whores, or investors together to spend hundreds of dollars on a single book let alone a book you own.

Plus for you to even get your panties into an uproar you have to leak the CGC serial number yourself in the first place for this in theory scenario to even take place.

John: Whether I got upset about it previously or not doesn't change the fact that I own the description of MY book. The only way CGC got access to that description was via the submission process. I don't recall granting any license to use that information in a commercial manner.

For the record, I wasn't very happy when a book of mine was scanned by CGC and featured in their monthly newsletter without my permission, Wyatt Earp #7, Mile High.

Imagine if you will that I'm one of those secretive collectors who guards every detail about their books. Do you think Dave Anderson would relish sending in the Church Action #1 and having the graders' notes available to anyone who pays $30 to CGC? What about Brulato and some 9.6 Marvel super key? Hell, what about Richard and his Silver Streak #9? Am I forced to edit out the cert # so that I can protect against disclosure of the graders' notes? What's to stop someone from simply running search after search to discover notable books? What if the owner never showed the cert # to anyone, yet the notes are still available to anyone who stumbles across the cert #?

:eek:

why would I or anyone care if someone paid to read the notes of a book I own? Especially if its not for sale? I don't care if people look at me in the street or take a picture of my house or car.

Do you mind if I get a room by room description of your house and what's in it? Mind if log your comings and goings for a week? A month? Can I take a history of your Internet searches or surfing behavior? Mind if I find out from TiVo what shows you've watched for the last year? How about if I get your library or amazon to tell me what books you've read?

why would I or anyone care if someone paid to read the notes of a book I own? Especially if its not for sale? I don't care if people look at me in the street or take a picture of my house or car.
Again though, what difference does it make how little value you place on the item in question? It's either yours, theirs ir something in between. Only one of those allows unfettered rights to sell it to other people.

To just dismiss the idea that the owner of a copyright or some IP is without merit, simply because the IP or description or copyright is simplistic, is foolish. You're showing you don't really know what you're talking about.

I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but as a co-inventor of several US Patents, I know a bit about the subject. I'd say good luck and god speed to attempts to copyright grader notes. © It's not just that the notes are simplistic, they're also in the case of most high grade books neither substantive nor discrete.

"Copyright is a legal concept, enacted by most governments, giving the creator of an original work exclusive rights to it, usually for a limited time.....It is an intellectual property form (like the patent, the trademark, and the trade secret) applicable to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete."