• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

If they charges a small fee I'd pay for it with my submission. But I don't want to pay the $5/$15/$30 fee on my own book to understand why a book I thought was a dead on 9.4 comes back as 9.0. If it is a high end book I would feel compelled to get the notes.

Years ago I was foolish enough to send in a Black Bagged Spider-Man #1. This book had been hand picked and well stored. I sent it in expecting a 9.8 (when a 9.8 was rare) and it came back an 8.5 :pullhair: So I called and asked for the notes. Well the notes said there was a crease that I couldn't see at the middle top and bottom of the book caused by the sealing of the book in the bag. If I would have had notes with it I wouldn't have had to bother them with a question they had probably answered a few thousand times.

Grader's notes should be free - it’s all part of the service you are already paying for.

It’s always hard to charge people for something that was once free...they would be better off to provide the notes and then just raise the overall submission rates. It’s all about perception!

Grader's notes should be free - it’s all part of the service you are already paying for.

It’s always hard to charge people for something that was once free...they would be better off to provide the notes and then just raise the overall submission rates. It’s all about perception!

Thanks for the suggestion. We will raise rates as you've requested. However, we've decided against your suggestion to make graders' notes free. We perceive only part of your ideas to be valid. Thanks again.

While I think CGC's pricing structure for the grader's notes is pretty ill-conceived, I never thought the notes were part of the service I'm already paying for. I just looked at the notes as a courtesy provided by CGC. And even after submitting over 3000 books, I think I've only ever requested the notes on 3 books.

Grader's notes should be free - its all part of the service you are already paying for.

Its always hard to charge people for something that was once free...they would be better off to provide the notes and then just raise the overall submission rates. Its all about perception!

I'm still not convinced they're selling the notes. THREE FULL DAYS and no notes.

There couldn't have been a bunch of requests before mine that they are working through. :facepalm:

My CGC submissions have always been via third party (per-screening before submission). I admit to never having carefully read the fine print before this thread, but prior to this I've never had reason to question the company's judgment in respect to services provided on my behalf.

if you submit through a 3rd party, Im thinking you have NO rights with CGC at all, only with the intermediary. The books are submitted under their name and account.

it gets better, huh?

Do you think Dave Anderson would relish sending in the Church Action #1 and having the graders' notes available to anyone who pays $30 to CGC?

AllAmericanComics16MH94.jpg

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=990

:whistle:

I still fail to see why he would mind. If the book was already graded, the number is the most important "note" now. The grader's notes are only a byproduct as how the grade was decided..

Dave doesnt care what people know about his graded books... he just doesnt want people seeing or speculating on his RAW books. : )

I agree. It's an interesting scenario too - because technically, the act of grading is a key element to "work for hire" contract - the customer pays a fee for a service, the grading of a book, and that information, the notes by the graders, is part of the service that being paid for - and how they (CGC) get the right to resell it without a royalty paid out to the hirer (the normal people who pay for books to be graded) seems to fly in the face of what the publishers have been winning in the courts for years. I mean they could charge access to their database but the information is not technically theirs to sell and there can be no transfer without a writing - one cannot be implied without a writing. I think they're going to have a few issues here. Technically a court may view the notes as the property of those who paid for the books to be graded.

So what do you think, are CGC staff members reading this thread? If so, are they laughing, or crying?

Without doubt they're watching this thread. After all, this is General Horse-piddle, where gossip and melodrama can reach new heights and lead to well scripted consequences without ever achieving climax. Tune in tomorrow to find out who is sleeping with whom and where all the money went!

:popcorn::facepalm::popcorn::facepalm::popcorn::facepalm::popcorn::facepalm::popcorn::facepalm::popcorn::facepalm::popcorn:

This thrilling saga will may return after a brief station break and a few choice words from our sponsor.

I wonder what PGX's staff is thinking...do they provide Grader Notes?

mm

Even if they paid you $5 for each phone call, it would not impact the volume going to CGC.

Dear Wizard, if you are reading this.

Do the requisite research, buy PGX and turn them into a viable competitor and a beacon of 3rd-party grading so CGC can start paying us to make calls for graders notes and submit books to them.

Dear Wizard, if you are reading this.

Do the requisite research, buy PGX and turn them into a viable competitor and a beacon of 3rd-party grading so CGC can start paying us to make calls for graders notes and submit books to them.

You've been on a roll for 2 days now.

:roflmao:

Could you imagine if Wizard did? We'd all be like this:

:popcorn:

Ok, maybe not like that - MOAR like this?

lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194-580.gif