• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Why don't they streamline the process completely and stop answering the telephone? I bet they would move at light speed if they ceased all customer service operations altogether and had a recording referring everyone to the CGC website.

I dont feel that they ever had to give this info, and on top of that if it helps to speed up turn around time... Great! How counter productive is it to stop grading books to explain the outcome of previously graded books???

So CGC graders are infallible hm

I dont feel that they ever had to give this info, and on top of that if it helps to speed up turn around time... Great! How counter productive is it to stop grading books to explain the outcome of previously graded books???

Do they regrade for free? hm

Why don't they streamline the process completely and stop answering the telephone? I bet they would move at light speed if they ceased all customer service operations altogether and had a recording referring everyone to the CGC website.
Well, my experiences with them have been fairly poor. They are always slow, raise fees, and sent me back a book with a popped staple that was not beforehand. While they are very nice people and willing to answer questions, they do not have a customer service oriented business model. They do answer questions, and are a business providing A service to customers. But providing customers a service, and providing good customer service are not really the same thing.

And again I state. They are good to customers, but do not do anything that grabs me as wowing customers. Heck they were 2 months late on grading my last submission and explain slow turnaround times. I really dont care, you charge me get it done in a timely fashion or give me a discount. If you inconvienence your customer at least try and make it right. But to tie up peoples money on a consistent basis while offering no compensation? Not a great business model at all.

But maybe thats why I rarely if ever submit and when I do, just act surprised when the books arrive. I pretty much never remember what was submitted by the time it gets back anyways.

Do they regrade for free? hm

Not sure what you point is. ???

But maybe thats why I rarely if ever submit and when I do, just act surprised when the books arrive. I pretty much never remember what was submitted by the time it gets back anyways.

My wife tells me that is early onset Alzheimers all the time. :grin:

You can't tell internet buyers to go buy raw books or wait till a show.

Well, you could but that's because it's not your livelihood. :baiting:

Hmmmm...the big picture of what exactly? Like you are really going to loose sale after sale from this. Give me a break. STOP

I know that selling comics is your livelihood right now. That's why I put the :baiting: up, dum dum. :makepoint:

The big picture I am talking about is the buying pool as a whole. That means everyone in this thread who has posted why they don't like the new fee change for grading notes. Why you keep singling out me or a small segment of buyers is beyond me. This thread is made up of people who buy books ten different ways to Sunday.

So step back, read the thread in it's entirety and if you want to reply, then reply in the context of the thread. Don't reply to one person in a "tit for tat" discussion that you have no clue about.

:facepalm:

Roy are you a collector or dealer?

Oh, and I am both...as most dealers (like yourself) are.

(thumbs u

Every dealer still is a collector at heart, but once they make that transition to setting up at shows, traveling for comic book deals, and creating a business entity in your website you are obviously more of dealer than collector now. Correct?

John, I know this is hard for you to do, but you need to focus on the central theme of the discussion: grading notes and the new fees.

I have called for notes for books if I wanted to know what the pressable defects were, I have called for notes in my personal collection where I wanted to know why it graded what it did, I have called for notes to figure out what restoration was on books in my personal collection and I have called for notes for customers who wanted to know about books for sale.

WHY I PERSONALLY CALL FOR NOTES IS NOT RELEVANT.

Whether I am a collector, or a dealer, or both, this discussion is not about me. It's not about whether I am a collector or a dealer. It's a discussion about principle.

It's about all the reasons that people have given as to their displeasure or pleasure over the grade change.

It's like being charged for trying out a piece of clothing that you are thinking about buying but are not sure.

You might come along and say "yeah, but you'd never buy that piece of clothing anyway."

Well, you might be wrong and you might be right (wrong in my experience since you happen to think I don't wear clothes at all), but this discussion is not about Roy. It's about whether it's a good idea to charge someone to try on that piece of clothing.

Get it?

Not sure if anyone mentioned in this thread yet, sorry if I repeat it again, but the grader's notes also available for REJECTED prescreen books as well. So if I already paid ($4-$5 per book) for those rejected books, should I at least get the grader's note from CGC, in digital form if requested?

I tried on one of my rejected books that submitted in 2006 for prescreen modern 9.8 and the note is available for it. I didn't purchase, just try to see if the new grader's note system is not just for encapsulated books and look like it is for all books. Not all books, encapsulated or prescreen rejected, have grader's note, I tried two rejected books, 1 has note, 1 doesn't.

I have never called in for grader's notes so don’t know what is CGC's step-by-step of getting grader's note to the caller. From reading this thread, it looks like a CS has to look for the grader to read the notes to the caller? And the grader read the notes from a physical piece of paper? If it is all in database, why can't the CS read it to the caller instead of the grader? Can someone explain?

Then that collector needs to either only buy raw books or submit raw books to CGC themselves for grading rather them buying a comic already graded if they are that concerned

Easier said than done. There have been a number of occasions when a dealer acquired a collection of books that I was interested in and was told that they were all going to CGC before offering them for sale. I said that I was not interested in having the book in a slab and would pay the same price only to be turned down. Believe me, I would rather buy raw books that I can see in person. Most of the premium material is already graded and put into auctions or sold this way at conventions. I would pay a small fee for grader's notes but their pricing structure is ridiculous in my opinion. I would pay to see a photo of the interior covers and first page however, because this seems to be the area where CGC is all over the board with their grading standards.

Ken

But roy. If you want to try on clothes you go and try them on. If you want to see the book, get it in hand. If you want cgc to spend time helping you research a potential investment, shouldnt they be compensated?

I would like to know how they arrived at that grade. And yes, I feel I am entitled with the submission fee.

The more and more I think about this the more and more I think this is baloney.

You paid for them to thoroughly check over your book, assign it a grade, encapsulate it and send it back to you. Not to explain in any detail how they came to their conclusions. At least that's how I'm starting to feel about this.

I don't see where you're entitled to know exactly how they came up with their opinion.

Somebody asks me to make them a widget. So I make it. They don't ask me how I made it and if and when they do, I'm under no obligation to tell them. In my business we call that engineering proprietary and/or trade secret. I'm starting to think graders notes is no different. Much to my dismay I might add. But I can't blame them TBH.

But roy. If you want to try on clothes you go and try them on. If you want to see the book, get it in hand. If you want cgc to spend time helping you research a potential investment, shouldnt they be compensated?

The analogy about trying the clothes on (or taking a car for a ride) before making a purchase is the same as trying to inspect inside the comic.

Most people don't buy a suit or a dress or a car before making sure it suits their needs.

Since the CGC holder encapsulates 30 or 60 pages and keeps them hidden from view it's impossible to know what is in there (much like trying to figure out whether a suit looks good on or a car drives like it should with trying it on). You can only see the cover.

As far as them charging for notes, if you'd read this thread you'd see that many to most people have no problem paying for them. Most people think the fee is unreasonably large. They also believe that CGC were compensated when they graded the book.

Did you even read the thread or are you channelling John now just to mess with me?

:blush:

Okay, time to come clean. I called for grader notes on a Batman 31 that was being auctioned in a Heritage auction. It looked real nice in the scan, but the grade was low (7.0 from memory). I looked at the scans pretty carefully and it looked like there may have been rusted staples which is a deal breaker for me. I called on the grader notes and was told "rusted staple" and "water damage". I passed on the book. Guess I won't be doing that again ...

As far as them charging for notes, if you'd read this thread you'd see that many to most people have no problem paying for them. Most people think the fee is unreasonably large. They also believe that CGC were compensated when they graded the book.

This is important. W/O access to their books, and frankly, who are any of us to determine "adequate" compensation for CGC, perhaps all these people who think CGC has been compensated are going into this with the wrong mentality. What if CGC, because of all the time spent making important notes about grades, time that is taken away from grading more books, CGC has essentially been taping a dollar bill to every slab they mail out. Maybe it's costing them money.

I had a department 2 years ago that was hemorrhaging money. It was our small castings line. When we really started to crunch the numbers we realized we were basically losing money on every part that went out the door. So we doubled our pricing across the board. Buyers who had been purchasing the same part for years, some for decades, probably thought we were being adequately compensated too. They were wrong. For all we know CGC, by charging fees is simply correcting a financial problem. And as far as the fees being too much. Who are we to say? It's an opinion of course. But it could be completely unfounded. How do we know what their margin is on this and how do we tell them what that margin should be?

Selling notes on my books: :banana:

If anyone wishes to purchase any of my books the notes will be available...at a discount relative to CGC' s prices. :devil:

I'm thinking that I can make a living selling notes to potential buyers and still retain the books. (thumbs u