• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

The problem with all of these arguments is that, as the service provider, CGC can charge whatever they want for whatever service they wish to provide.

If they say it's $50 to give the book a number and a plastic case, that's what you get. No more, no less. If they decide they won't give out internal information free of charge, then that's how it will be.

This is what happens when you run a monopoly...you do what you want, when you want and how you want.

It's now down to the customer to decide how important the service is to them. They can't go elsewhere, so they either bow out or suck it up.

I suspect I know precisely what 99.9% of you are going to do. :/

And either way, CGC gets what it wants. More revenue and less calls.

Absolutely.

Lots of crying, bawling and toys out of prams...but suckling on the teat will quieten 'em down.

If CGC got everything it wanted you would have a very big competitor in your pressing business.

OK, let me re-phrase that. CGC gets everything they want as far as charging for graders notes.

The problem with all of these arguments is that, as the service provider, CGC can charge whatever they want for whatever service they wish to provide.

If they say it's $50 to give the book a number and a plastic case, that's what you get. No more, no less. If they decide they won't give out internal information free of charge, then that's how it will be.

This is what happens when you run a monopoly...you do what you want, when you want and how you want.

It's now down to the customer to decide how important the service is to them. They can't go elsewhere, so they either bow out or suck it up.

Bingo.

Hiring a surrogate and choosing to become subordinate are two vastly different relationships.

One could have a lot of merit and appeal, if kept in check. The other is simple and consistent: whine if you want, then yield.

And either way, CGC doesn't get what it wants. Less revenue and more calls to PGX.

Fixed that for you (thumbs u

Has Steve emailed anyone back?

I did verify that was the correct email....

Bruno don't hold your breath for a reply. I don't think they care or will change anything. Tomorrow will be a week that they started charging and there has been no official release explaining their position.

And either way, CGC doesn't get what it wants. Less revenue and more calls to PGX.

Joseph, PGX won't benefit a cent from this.

The people who have a use for grader's notes are either the educated or the playas.

Neither consider PGX to be in the same business, never mind same league.

Joseph, PGX won't benefit a cent from this.

The people who have a use for grader's notes are either the educated or the playas.

Neither consider PGX to be in the same business, never mind same league.

Only time will tell. To this day, I'm still amazed at how many people I run into that submit their books to PGX. They claim it's cheaper and have faster turn-around times.

And PGX doesn't charge for graders notes. If eBay's search results for PGX books continues to climb, that theory of educated/playas keeping the CGC market floating won't matter because the decision will always come down to economics and demand.

Who wants to assume the liability of buying a CGC slab with no notes to save on costs, when they could get a PGX book cheaper straight out of the gate?

Moreover, if enough buyers stray and use the "I'm an educated buyer, I don't need the 3rd-party assurance" what's the point of debating the valor of each companies self-appointed authority?

20135334.jpg

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

Howdy Leroy.

I'm calling for grader notes right now.

Just called CGC to check on grader notes for a comic I'm thinking about. He put me on hold for a min and then told me as of today you can get the notes on CGC site by entering the cert #. :whee:

Logged into CGC site, entered cert # than was informed that if I wanted grader notes it would be $15 and billed to my account. :pullhair::facepalm:

Econ, value and modern $5

Standard or Express $15

Walkthrough $30

Howdy Leroy.

I'm calling for grader notes right now.

Stay thirsty my friend

From CGC:

"I am sorry, but notes have never actually been a part of the

service. We started to offer it when requested however notes

had always been intended purely for internal use. When you

submit comics for grading to CGC you are paying for our opinion

of the final condition of the comic, not the reason for us coming

to the determination. As more and more requests started to come

in, our graders would be tied up for hours each day and thus got

significantly less books graded, so thus the change.".

mm

From CGC:

mm

How was this info/statement sent to you? Verbal, email?

From CGC:

mm

Sounds exactly like what I said on May 4th.

You paid for them to thoroughly check over your book, assign it a grade, encapsulate it and send it back to you. Not to explain in any detail how they came to their conclusions. At least that's how I'm starting to feel about this.

I don't see where you're entitled to know exactly how they came up with their opinion.

.01% of us are going to find a legal answer to a difficult question.

The question? Who has control of the notes.

Under CGC GRADER NOTES it says...

INTRODUCTORY fees for CGC Grader Notes...does that indicate

there will be a increase in the fee after an Introductory period?

mm

Is the only concern here that CGC is selling the notes? Would people be happy or at least accepting if CGC simply decided no more notes for anyone be it free or at a cost?

I'm wondering, if CGC were to not make notes available at all would the issue die? Or b/c of past practice do people feel that we're now entitled to notes (free of a surcharge)?

If I were CGC and I was presented with a legal challenge over ownership of the notes, I think I'd simply stop taking notes. Or at least never give out the info or hell, burn the notes after grading.

Would the hobby then be in a better place with no notes available, ever?