• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes

1,754 posts in this topic

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

Well, it's already happened. I'd bid on this to win if I knew the top staple was attached, but not going to pay $30 for that information. :screwy:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121218&lotNo=10337&lotIdNo=1003

Assuming CGC continues with this course of action, I can see Heritage at some point integrating a complimentary Grader's Notes lookup feature, at least during their Signature auctions. I can see them negotiating a reasonable flat fee for the privilege, which would serve to differentiate themselves from their competitors even more and hopefully keep their bidding pool strong.

Or am I being too optimistic here?

Honestly, the grading notes probably discourage people from bidding more than they encourage it.

I think they do both. Notes can encourage or discourage bidding.

Which one increases active bidding more over all, though?

Removing notes forces people to take a chance.

Whoever made the decision to make getting notes and information more difficult has likely assessed the risk (any underwriter can do that) and is thinking that risk takers and greed will likely win over lack of information.

From an auctioneer's point of view, it's likely going to increase bidding over all.

I think the outrage is mainly coming from the high additional price and the propriety of the idea.

It's called greed. Plain and simple. Surcharge here, extra charge there, etc., etc. Until a legitimate company arises that can compete on the same playing field, we will all continue to be a slave to the monopoly. It's the only show in town folks, enjoy the performance.

I don't think CGC is trying to be greedy or even make money here. I just think they are simply trying to discourage queries on grader's notes.

If there wasn't a motivation to make money, then why not simply say no more Grader's Notes? That would eliminate all queries.

I thought the same thing.

One reason they can't say no to notes altogether is because they need to be able to explain to irate customers why their submissions graded "too low".

Making it relatively expensive discourages access to notes while still making them "available" to people who "must" have them.

I'd hate to be at the receiving end next week when someone calls in and is told they need to pay $15 or $30 to get an answer.

:eek:

It's called greed. Plain and simple. Surcharge here, extra charge there, etc., etc. Until a legitimate company arises that can compete on the same playing field, we will all continue to be a slave to the monopoly. It's the only show in town folks, enjoy the performance.

I don't think CGC is trying to be greedy or even make money here. I just think they are simply trying to discourage queries on grader's notes.

Of course their looking to make money on this. Come on.

They call it a service, and make almost 100% profit. There is no overhead for this, and a very low cost of someone sending a e-mail.

To add, the fact that you took a swipe at other honest and well respected board members, including Joey in this case,

meh

Speak your mind or forever hold your peace.

hm

marry.gif

meh

My post was directed toward Stu's lack of personal respect because some people make money by pressing comics.

Paper < Humans

That is all.

If the intent is to stop calls, make it free.

If it's to make money, say so. Only problem is, you're giving people information on a book that was submitted to CGC for a grade. I doubt the submitters gave any permission to record the characteristics of that book for all eternity. Again I say, that information does not arguably belong to cgc. It was one thing when the notes were just handed out. Now that info is being monetized?

Query: if I submit a book and direct that no notes be available, should cgc honor it? Should they split the notes revenue with me? What if I just own the slab now? Should I have the right to direct that they not provide notes?

Honestly, the grading notes probably discourage people from bidding more than they encourage it.

With what information did you form that opinion? If the notes provide proper insight regarding the unknown defects and it builds bidder confidence we are talking about a more aggressive bid result in auctions or direct sales. It is more likely that for every negative effect notes has on bidding there is a positive outcome and therefore a wash.

This whole scenario comes down to customer service, generating revenue, operational efficiencies and business ethics. I have seen too many times when you try to create a balance between all of the above factors something fails and there is never a fair outcome. This is especially true when you have a service that was once free and then begin to charge for it.

Airlines used to charge one ticket price that included everything along the way. Now they charge extra for checked bags, a few additional inches of legroom and even pillows and blankets. Travelers gripe, but the a la carte fees have stuck and air traffic continues to grow.

If the executive team at CGC wanted to create some good will with the change in policy a simple letter to members explaining their position might have been an intelligent move. Even if they decide not to change this fee structure the perception that they do not care about their customers or members might have been somewhat softened.

Wow. This sucks.

I would say 90% of my grader's note calls are because I want to know if a book has a popped staple, since they stopped noting that defect on the slab. I would glad pay a flat fee for access to grader's notes. In fact, I would almost rather do that since calling every time I want to buy a mid-grade golden age slab gets a little tedious. But there is no freaking way I am paying $10-30 APIECE for notes. I would rather just not buy or bid on the book in question....which is exactly what's going to happen. Seller's loss. (shrug)

Well, it's already happened. I'd bid on this to win if I knew the top staple was attached, but not going to pay $30 for that information. :screwy:

Assuming CGC continues with this course of action, I can see Heritage at some point integrating a complimentary Grader's Notes lookup feature, at least during their Signature auctions. I can see them negotiating a reasonable flat fee for the privilege, which would serve to differentiate themselves from their competitors even more and hopefully keep their bidding pool strong.

I think they do both. Notes can encourage or discourage bidding.

Which one increases active bidding more over all, though?

Removing notes forces people to take a chance.

Whoever made the decision to make getting notes and information more difficult has likely assessed the risk (any underwriter can do that) and is thinking that risk takers and greed will likely win over lack of information.

From an auctioneer's point of view, it's likely going to increase bidding over all.

I think the outrage is mainly coming from the high additional price and the propriety of the idea.

......at this point, they're SPENDING money to facilitate an aspect of the industry which they are not directly involved....the SELLING of slabbed books. After grading over a million books, the logistics and overhead involved in providing this service is apparently becoming burdensome. The high price is certainly a sign that they would rather not provide this service at all....and I can't blame them. I would be curious as to how many queries they receive each day. I know it has to be more than a couple of customer service reps can squeeze in to their responsibilities. Personally, I would cease directing those note requests to a grader. Reading off notes over the phone does not require the participation of the star Quarterback. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Perhaps a slight increase in paid membership with a limit per membership of Grader's Notes may be an idea to pursue.

Query: if I submit a book and direct that no notes be available, should cgc honor it? Should they split the notes revenue with me? What if I just own the slab now? Should I have the right to direct that they not provide notes?

The law is an unforgiving thing, isn't it?

It's amazing how complex a simple thing can become if someone chooses to break it down that way.

Thank goodness you don't speak like a lawyer when in person.

lol

If they were just trying to discourage queries there are many ways to do it.

One - provide the submitter with the notes and leave it up to the submitter to disclose them.

Two - make the notes available to everyone for free by posting them.

Three - make the notes available to no one.

Four - stop archiving the notes. Use them internally for the grading process and then dispose of them.

Again, the only reason for The CGC to keep the notes is to monetize them.

The law is an unforgiving thing, isn't it?

It's amazing how complex a simple thing can become if someone chooses to break it down that way.

Thank goodness you don't speak like a lawyer when in person.

lol

This may be too complex for you but it's a complex thing whether you choose to break it down that way or not. You can choose what ever you want, but it is still complex. I would imagine that a person who doesn't understand it would choose to say that it isn't complex as a way to sound smart. But just because they don't understand it doesn't mean it is less complex.

Wow. This sucks.

I think you're bang on. Heritage will negotiate this and most certainly have a better deal than the other auction houses.

....that is, unless we kick the stink high enough to get CGC to reconsider charging for this.

I doubt that this decision is reversible. CGC has been fielding a lot of requests for grader notes, so they've decided to charge for the service. Their business at the moment is so brisk that there's a massive backlog of books to be graded on the 'non-fast' tracks. Consequently, they're in an excellent position to risk losing a tiny fraction of business in order to save some workload for their staff and tap into another source of revenue.

I doubt that this decision is reversible. CGC has been fielding a lot of requests for grader notes, so they've decided to charge for the service. Seeing as how their business at the moment is so brisk that there's a massive backlog of books to be graded on the 'non-fast' tracks, they're in an excellent position to risk losing a tiny fraction of business in order to tap into another source of revenue.

.....and to eliminate a distraction that is probably eroding their turnaround and bottom line.....oppurtunity cost. GOD BLESS...

I really don't see how providing Grader's Notes over the telephone can be blamed for eroding turnaround times. Sure, it's a convenient excuse, but I don't understand why a grader had to be called to read off the notes. Why couldn't a customer service representative read off the notes in the first place? It's obvious the graders will not be the ones emailing the notes to customers.

I really don't see how providing Grader's Notes over the telephone can be blamed for eroding turnaround times. Sure, it's a convenient excuse, but I don't understand why a grader had to be called to read off the notes. Why couldn't a customer service representative read off the notes in the first place? It's obvious the graders will not be the ones emailing the notes to customers.

It doesn't erode turnaround times. It's a service they've been providing for free that they can now make some money doing. The slow turnaround times are an indication that business is so good there's little fear that charging for grader notes will significantly impact their submissions.

.....the only way for us to really know is to have the number of grader's note inquiries that go down in a given day. Every time I've ever called, my inquiry has been forwarded to a grader.....which always struck me as extravagant. The information is probably password protected and only available at that level. GOD BLESS...

It doesn't erode turnaround times. It's a service they've been providing for free that they can now make some money doing. The slow turnaround times are an indication that business is so good there's little fear that charging for grader notes will significantly impact their submissions.

....everytime that grader is answering that question he is not grading books. He's doing something other than his primary function....and something that is not adding to the revenue stream. GOD BLESS...